HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 7:08 PM

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:50 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:00 PM

Definitely interesting and quite a departure from the existing central library - in a good way. I have some reservations about the performance of a stretched translucent curtainwall system, but will assume the designers know that it gets cold here. No doubt that this one has a lot more emphasis on form vs. function compared to all other city libraries. The engineer in me may question that, but I do think that we'll end up with a great aesthetic. It'll be nice to see something more than pencil sketches in the next iteration of the design.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:04 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:21 PM

Wow!

That materiality explanation is amazing. I really look forward to this. Most beautiful library in North America.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
With such a massive flat roof, why not add a park space with evergreens? Give it some life.
Definitely need to advocate for this! And pine trees to ensure greenery year round and not just a few months a year!

Last edited by roryn1; Jun 1, 2021 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 1:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Wow!

That materiality explanation is amazing. I really look forward to this. Most beautiful library in North America.
Funny, that’s the part I found the most pretentious, starting off with the title. “Materials” would have sufficed, but instead the authors of the report felt that they needed to bastardize the word to make it sound fancier. “Materiality” is a real word, but this is not its proper usage.

Now get off my lawn!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Funny, that’s the part I found the most pretentious, starting off with the title. “Materials” would have sufficed, but instead the authors of the report felt that they needed to bastardize the word to make it sound fancier. “Materiality” is a real word, but this is not its proper usage.

Now get off my lawn!
It wouldn’t be a concept design report without fancy-sounding architectural buzz words

I’m actually quite satisfied with this concept design. I think the use of CLT/wood materials will be really refreshing for our downtown. It’ll be nice to see more detailed renders in the future!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:33 PM

I am excited about the preliminary design and accompanying description. However, I feel the exterior evokes more of a 'canoe' aesthetic then that of a teepee....I really don't get a teepee from this drawing. But still like it!

If the interior is as wide opens as described with all the natural light and large timber "branches'...that will be super cool!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 5:56 PM

The building is an OK concept but I'm not seeing a lot of the amenities that the SPL were using as justification for needing a new facility - I recall them saying they didn't have enough space for managing shipping and receiving for interlibrary loans, but the building services area on the main floor is a pretty small portion of the footprint. No place for loading inside will make for a subpar worker experience in winter. I thought one of the main stated design principles was to link indoors to outdoors but I don't see how they are incorporating that into the concept (things like multi-level plaza with entrances on multiple floors etc). Appears to miss out on a lot of potential things that would make this a comprehensive public facility which I think was on the table, instead it looks like it's just the same functions as the old library in a new shiny building. Where is the amenities for transit users and why not include a sheltered transit stop directly adjacent? I wonder how they plan to administer security, there's not a single mention of it in the concept plan yet that is one of the biggest challenges for people wanting to use the existing library. I hate being negative but it seems like this is a concept plan that an ambitious and shortsighted planner came up with before even looking at the community input.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:58 PM

It will be interesting to see how it actually ends up looking vs. the proposal mock-ups--hopefully more Calgary like than Edmonton...

https://twitter.com/newfangl3d/statu...43143937351681

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 10:37 PM

Funny, my first thought when I saw the concept is that I hope it doesn't end up looking like Edmonton's little brother.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 12:26 AM

good point on the transit access Arts. Calgary’s LRT drives like through their downtown library does it not? Would be nice to see close front door access to this one. Never forget we live in a place that gets colder than Mars for a few months a year

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:46 AM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
The building is an OK concept but I'm not seeing a lot of the amenities that the SPL were using as justification for needing a new facility - I recall them saying they didn't have enough space for managing shipping and receiving for interlibrary loans, but the building services area on the main floor is a pretty small portion of the footprint. No place for loading inside will make for a subpar worker experience in winter. I thought one of the main stated design principles was to link indoors to outdoors but I don't see how they are incorporating that into the concept (things like multi-level plaza with entrances on multiple floors etc). Appears to miss out on a lot of potential things that would make this a comprehensive public facility which I think was on the table, instead it looks like it's just the same functions as the old library in a new shiny building. Where is the amenities for transit users and why not include a sheltered transit stop directly adjacent? I wonder how they plan to administer security, there's not a single mention of it in the concept plan yet that is one of the biggest challenges for people wanting to use the existing library. I hate being negative but it seems like this is a concept plan that an ambitious and shortsighted planner came up with before even looking at the community input.
I agree. The design is nice, but the amenities are lackluster. Maybe our perception will change when we get more details?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:51 PM

Wow....have to say Regina is "crushing it" (pun fully intended) with their recent announcements of canola crushing plants and now a wheat paper mill??? What the heck has Saskatoon's economic development committee been doing...sitting on their hands? Seems we are missing out on a lot of huge projects for Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Wow....have to say Regina is "crushing it" (pun fully intended) with their recent announcements of canola crushing plants and now a wheat paper mill??? What the heck has Saskatoon's economic development committee been doing...sitting on their hands? Seems we are missing out on a lot of huge projects for Saskatoon.
the plants are going in the appropriate areas as they rely on trucking ~2-3hr radius around the facilities. If anything we already have the crush capacity, and then don’t have the black soil zone needed for the wheat straw mills (but there’s a couple more in the works!). If anything we could see one around the humboldt area, but that’s about it for equidistance around each plant to keep trucking costs lowest.

We’ve been killing it with Ingredion’s pulse processor just outside of town - they’ve been quietly putting almost a billion into their facility. Overall saskatoon still wins when it comes to food processing revenue.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
the plants are going in the appropriate areas as they rely on trucking ~2-3hr radius around the facilities. If anything we already have the crush capacity, and then don’t have the black soil zone needed for the wheat straw mills (but there’s a couple more in the works!). If anything we could see one around the humboldt area, but that’s about it for equidistance around each plant to keep trucking costs lowest.

We’ve been killing it with Ingredion’s pulse processor just outside of town - they’ve been quietly putting almost a billion into their facility. Overall saskatoon still wins when it comes to food processing revenue.

You also don’t want stinky crush too close to our city. Red Leaf Pulp’s head office is in Saskatoon so let’s just keep the head office jobs here haha

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:19 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:09 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan