HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:25 PM

Deleted

Last edited by BuildUpWpg; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Posted by mistake

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 10:43 PM

Interestingly, the original plans for Scotia Centre included a skywalk to Midtown Plaza, but I guess they couldn't reach a deal with the mall. That's one spot where I think having a skywalk connection would be reasonable.

I am generally not a fan of them, other than in select circumstances. There are a number of good urban design reasons why they make the streets they pass over less pleasant and hospitable. They block views to the sky, adjacent buildings, and vistas to more distant landmarks. Imagine a skywalk spanning 21st Street that ruins the view of the Bessborough from Midtown. It would be a criminal act upon our cityscape. Take a look at Rose St in Downtown Regina looking north to their great old train station: https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.45169...7i13312!8i6656. Ruined by a goddamn skywalk.

It's also the condition on the sidewalk underneath and near the skywalk that is problematic. Shadowing and blocking of the sun can inhibit viability of street trees, kill appeal of patios, and the general sociability of the street. Nobody stops to linger under a skywalk because it's a pleasant experience. You walk faster to get to the other side of it. Look at several streets of Downtown Calgary that have been deadened by skywalks.

So, skywalks might be okay where they don't f*** things up too badly. Such as connecting building complexes across a lane. But if we have to have a conversation about a connected system of walkways, I think underground is better.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I also walked this morning and almost fell down as my dress shoes have no traction, and even fully bundled was feeling like dying after lol.
That sounds like a user error as opposed to an issue with the weather/city. I wear different shoes on my walk to work, then put on dress shoes once I arrive at the office because I know sometimes it's icy and slippery. I've also got better, grippier soles put on a pair of dress shoes because I know that sometimes I need to walk outside with them. Any shoe repair store could likely do this for you. I had Last Shoes do it for me. It's an easy fix (unless you are wearing high heals, in which can, yes, it sucks to be walking outside in the winter with them).

Also, remember last January when it was +10C for a week or two? I know someone already gave you grief over saying 8 months of winter, but it really is a ridiculous thing to say. Sept/Oct/Nov can sometimes be the most pleasant months we have. Same with April. And it's often hovering around zero for portions of Dec/Jan/Feb/March. We inevitably get 2+ weeks of hell-ish weather, but I kind of get a kick out of that (and I walk to work year around). It makes me appreciate the more pleasant weather.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:58 PM

This is an interesting idea. It would great a nice option for a cycling/running/walk loop in the northeast.
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...t-25-1-million

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:21 PM

The City is planning a new sewer pipe across the river and is looking into the opportunity to combine it with a new pedestrian/cyclist crossing, to be located near the water treatment plant:

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...t-25-1-million

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:13 PM

I still would like to see something like this more in the downtown core or maybe the weir, but I guess all of our bridges do have walkways, so maybe not essential....just would add an aesthetic and active transport option for downtown area.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:21 PM

I think it's great that if we're going to build a river crossing for any type of infrastructure that it's included in the active transportation plan. Makes a lot of sense and helps make the Meewasin trail system a lot more useable. I think the design seems dated and I'm not sure why they would go with a suspension bridge, but it would still be fun.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:54 PM

It seems like a sensible investment given that the sewer infrastructure needs to be constructed regardless.

I looked at the city's active transportation plan, and they've identified multiple future active transportation river crossings, including one in this area around Lenore Drive, as well as other locations such as Downtown at 23rd Street (which I would also love to see, but it needs to be an architectural showpiece).

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...mbined_rfs.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:28 PM

Sounds as though the MEC under construction may be in jeopardy? Not sure what to think after this article.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...tdoor-retailer

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddStoon View Post
Sounds as though the MEC under construction may be in jeopardy? Not sure what to think after this article.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...tdoor-retailer
Retail is struggling with the stress of change to online shopping across the board. Despite that I think MEC would be a great addition to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:44 PM

A new pedestrian bridge would be fantastic, but I highly doubt it ends up looking like the renders. This city's taught me to expect the least when it comes to bridge architecture.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:03 PM

Brochure for 325 20th St East. Looks like they're going to renovate the existing building and add a few floors.

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...a-9043b3a1b4f4

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:25 PM

I assume any outdoor construction stops for safety reasons at these temps? I can't imagine anything using hydraulics working!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:28 PM

anyone know how the sq ft price compares to other property downtown? I still wish the First Nation building kitty corner from this would go ahead. I believe it was planned to be a Gold Leed standard.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:11 PM

Does anyone have any new information about the Baydo project on Broadway and Main? I've heard from some locals that construction is taking a lot longer than expected due to flooding, but I've not been able to find that anywhere in writing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
What an ugly building for such a prime location. Even if it is just an addition.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
What an ugly building for such a prime location. Even if it is just an addition.
we're blessed with some amazing architects in this city so there's no excuse for ugly architecture, but I'll take any new build to rejuvinate and densify our downtown - that area is a bit of a deadzone being so close to the lighthouse.

This connection from Broadway should be full of retail and restaurants on the first levels - similar to Broadway district, but it is not... the city needs to provide more incentives or something as Broadway bridge is a nice walking (and coming soon - Lime scootering!) connection to downtown, but the first few blocks walking downtown from broadway is very depressing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
we're blessed with some amazing architects in this city so there's no excuse for ugly architecture, but I'll take any new build to rejuvinate and densify our downtown - that area is a bit of a deadzone being so close to the lighthouse.
I agree development is good, but not just any development, and this is garbage being placed in a very prominent (or has potential to be) intersection in the city. If they would want to build this outside the downtown then go for it.

I also see from google street view that the brick building across the street is for sale. Whether that is still the case who knows.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:

anyone know how the sq ft price compares to other property downtown? I still wish the First Nation building kitty corner from this would go ahead. I believe it was planned to be a Gold Leed standard.
It is equivalent to paying $25-27 net rent at a 6% cap rate, so not a bad deal compared to a brand new build. It depends on the quality and if all the systems are truly new.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Been trying to figure out what bothers me about the building. Maybe its the angle bump out at the top. It reminds me of bad early 80's airport control tower architecture. I dunno haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan