HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:00 PM

Movies pay good money for that stuff - might as well make some money!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:45 AM

Today I saw a "VFH Officer" (vehicle for hire) pull over a car with a TappCar sticker in the window. Does anyone know what this "force" is, what they do, what authority they have, how they could actually pull someone over etc? Like what is someone like that on the lookout for on the street?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:08 PM

Taxi's, and the ride service cars are regulated by the Winnipeg Parking Authority now. they are probably checking to see if the drives have the proper paperwork and light, signals etc work,

The old Winnipeg Taxicab board when the Provincial Govt ran it had inspectors that did the same thing with Taxi's

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
taxi's, and the ride service cars are regulated by the winnipeg parking authority now. They are probably checking to see if the drives have the proper paperwork and light, signals etc work,

the old winnipeg taxicab board when the provincial govt ran it had inspectors that did the same thing with taxi's
gotta catch those criminals

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:53 PM

Apparently the old Taxi Board inspectors caught a number of drivers on the snap inspections that did not have the right level drivers license or were driving cabs with defective meters.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 11:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Wine & Dine Re: Sale of Portage Pl.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/two-coun...uyer-1.4512560

Lukes said the city’s integrity commissioner Sherri Walsh said it would be okay for councillors to go.

Walsh said, as a rule, she doesn’t discuss specific advice sought or given to councillors.

She said lobbying is acceptable as long as it’s done in a transparent way.

Good one CoW! Is that like "them transparent dangling carrots" that Allanis Morrissette sings of?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

From global news... to be located just South of Winnipeg

Manitoba is getting another pea-processing plant.

Burcon Nutrascience is planning to set up a $65 million facility just outside of Winnipeg that will process 20,000 tonnes of peas each year.

The plant is expected to be operational next summer and will employ about 85 people, said Tergesen, adding the Manitoba location is perfect, with lots of land, hydro electricity, an educated workforce and canola farmers.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/two-coun...uyer-1.4512560

Lukes said the city’s integrity commissioner Sherri Walsh said it would be okay for councillors to go.

Walsh said, as a rule, she doesn’t discuss specific advice sought or given to councillors.

She said lobbying is acceptable as long as it’s done in a transparent way.

Good one CoW! Is that like "them transparent dangling carrots" that Allanis Morrissette sings of?
Did you even read the article?

"They had four or five representatives and we had a couple of sandwiches and a pop and some dainties."

How is that "wine and dine"?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Cripes. It's the COW that should be wining and dining anyone who is actually willing to purchase and develop that pig (Portage Place). Who gives a rats ass if these guys brought in lunch.

It's not as if developers are breaking down the doors at City hall trying to acquire this property.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:31 PM
What could go wrong?

re: Portage Place - In speaking with someone involved...apparently the redevelopment plans are quite a bit more elaborate and exciting than the papers are reporting on.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
re: Portage Place - In speaking with someone involved...apparently the redevelopment plans are quite a bit more elaborate and exciting than the papers are reporting on.
Anything you can divulge?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I can attest to that. And also cannot divulge anything.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:59 PM

"Elaborate and exciting".....now THAT'S good to hear! I guess all the legal details need to be worked out and the sale finalized before any further news comes out, but I'm looking forward to reading about the future of PP when it comes out.

I have noticed there has been a little bit of the predictable "why are they rushing into this/what are they hiding?" chatter around this deal, but IMO noting excessive beyond what seems "normal" in these situations. Also a bit of "community" push-back, but that also seems more along the lines of "where will we kill time now?" than any kind of "save the Eaton's building" grass-roots challenge. (on a side note, I also read about a successful in-fill housing project that could not be stopped by NIMBYs in a local neighbourhood)

Does this mean people in the city are general taking a more "progressive" view to redevelopment? Or is there simply no great affection for Portage Place, and most folks agree there is need for c change there?

Back to PP...I am guessing "elaborate and exciting" will involve a waterside/toboggan run from the top of one tower to the base of the other!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:13 PM

There will still be food courts downtown even if Portage Place's disappears.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 7:21 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Found a decent cost barber.

Been goin' to Pall's @ 240 Graham (Cargill Bldg.) last 18 mos - 2 yrs. One of the guys been cuttin' hair since 1964. That's longer than I've been alive. Charges $27. So I phoned them up this month asking "Now that the PST is reduced, are you chargin less for a haircut?" Said "No, in fact it went up to $30" for a Men's haircut. This time I said "No, I'll find a cheaper place"

I've always been curious about Andy's - Pembina Hwy. @ Merriam. That sign has been there since at least 1985 (noticed it when I used to work at BK in 1985). Nick the current owner says the business started in 1957 and that he is the 3rd generation barber there. Charges $15 for a Men's haircut. Nick has a really good personality. He's almost like a stand-up comedian.

I'm wary of going to these Salons because the women can cut for 7 or 8 years, then they complain about their sore back. Well, that's because they're wearing high heels, whereas the guys can cut for 50 yrs. (lifetime) no problem. So for me, Nick will be my barber for the next while.

Says that Rocky's on Pembina is close to retirement and charges $30.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Found a decent cost barber.

Been goin' to Pall's @ 240 Graham (Cargill Bldg.) last 18 mos - 2 yrs. One of the guys been cuttin' hair since 1964. That's longer than I've been alive. Charges $27. So I phoned them up this month asking "Now that the PST is reduced, are you chargin less for a haircut?" Said "No, in fact it went up to $30" for a Men's haircut. This time I said "No, I'll find a cheaper place"

I've always been curious about Andy's - Pembina Hwy. @ Merriam. That sign has been there since at least 1985 (noticed it when I used to work at BK in 1985). Nick the current owner says the business started in 1957 and that he is the 3rd generation barber there. Charges $15 for a Men's haircut. Nick has a really good personality. He's almost like a stand-up comedian.

I'm wary of going to these Salons because the women can cut for 7 or 8 years, then they complain about their sore back. Well, that's because they're wearing high heels, whereas the guys can cut for 50 yrs. (lifetime) no problem. So for me, Nick will be my barber for the next while.

Says that Rocky's on Pembina is close to retirement and charges $30.
Portuguese Barbershop Notre dame @ Kate is $11

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 12:50 PM

I wonder if there are people that still use a Flowbee to cut their hair to save money?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:33 AM

Some videos on local smalls businesses using Bold Commerce

Earth + Hide
Video Link

Callia Flowers
Video Link

GORP Clean Energy Bars
Video Link

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:25 PM

I was walking by the Marlborough Hotel the other day wondering what its prospects are... it has the bones of a classic big city hotel with the big Skyview banquet room on top, but it has really taken on a very tired, down at the heels appearance over the last 20 years. With a solid top to bottom renovation, it could be a decent little earner given that it's just a stone's throw from Portage and Main as well as the SHED area.

Who owns this hotel? I'm assuming whoever it is is fine with leaving things in their current state, but it would be cool to see it get a makeover.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Who owns this hotel? I'm assuming whoever it is is fine with leaving things in their current state, but it would be cool to see it get a makeover.
Manfred Boehm. He also owns the Garrick, as well as two hotels in Thompson.

I think there's a 0% chance he does anything more than just try and keep it in its current state without too much deterioration. Their bread and butter is long-term stays for medical relocation, flood relocation, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan