HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post

And for the sake of keeping the process clean too, the RCMP should be the only ones investigating this as well. WPS cannot be guaranteed to be able to investigate it, when they're basically a) completely swamped, b) a potential conflict of interest with their HQ, and c) seemingly incapable of doing anything, as of lately. Ever notice how Bowman and Smyth never have anything to do in public with eachother? Or with almost anyone in WPS? Its a red flag. Something is definitely up.
I would not trust the RCMP to do this. They are just as corrupt. They refused to charge anyone regarding the WPS headquarters which is fucking bullshit. I’d want investigators that have zero ties to anything Canadian. People that have nothing to lose.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I would not trust the RCMP to do this. They are just as corrupt. They refused to charge anyone regarding the WPS headquarters which is fucking bullshit. I’d want investigators that have zero ties to anything Canadian. People that have nothing to lose.
If we can’t even trust our own justice system, though, that doesn’t bode well for Canada. Some kind of police watchdog will do.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:32 PM

First of all, this is probably a better discussion to have in the Western Expresso thread because we are waaay off topic, but just to be clear, it was not the RCMP's decision to stop the prosecution, it was the Province. The province, it seems to me, has always been uninterested in investigating this matter -- either by criminal prosecution or by inquiry.

From a recent CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...pian-1.5395204

"On Friday, the province issued a news release saying that, based on all available evidence, the Manitoba Prosecution Service is not authorizing any criminal charges.

"After a comprehensive review of the legal issues and the foundational facts provided through the investigation, MPS has concluded that there is not sufficient evidence to approve any criminal charges as there is not a reasonable likelihood of conviction," the release says."

Remember the uproar when JT attempted to intervene in a prosecution of SNC Lavalin? Do you suppose it's possible that something may have happened behind the scenes here??

Follow the money!

Anyway, this is waaay off topic so I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

oil through churchill being pushed again i see

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...line-1.5453570

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:41 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

Moe has his work cut out for him to convince the residents of Churchill, not to mention the regulators, that an oil pipeline to the port is a good idea.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Moe has his work cut out for him to convince the residents of Churchill, not to mention the regulators, that an oil pipeline to the port is a good idea.
IMO this one is dead before it even starts. Pallister has been very positive about promoting tourism for the province. Manitoba has nothing to gain from this, other than ruining the Churchill eco-tourism industry with, at the least, the terrible optics of pushing oil through a sensitive ecosystem, and at worst, damaging that eco-system with an oil spill.

On the plus side, there was also an article about a potential hydro line from Manitoba to Nunavut that the Feds apparently support. With hydro line running south to the States, west to Sask. and north, Manitoba could start to realize it's potential as a strong local supplier of clean power.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
aparenrly theres been a plan on the books since the 60's that took it through lynn lake

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

On the plus side, there was also an article about a potential hydro line from Manitoba to Nunavut that the Feds apparently support. With hydro line running south to the States, west to Sask. and north, Manitoba could start to realize it's potential as a strong local supplier of clean power.
hmm interesting imagin they would run it through lynn lake from lori river as thers already a line there and theres work to be done soon to upgrade all that
for the alimoes gold mine thats going through its due process atm

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lynn lake nickel mine tire kicking from some ausi firm

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hmm they want to go from gilliam via churchill dang
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...567599622.html

still good to see apush for more revenue streams for mb hydro and cleaner power options for the north

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I remember hearing about that too. Without knowing the details, I would find it so hard to believe the cost of running transmission lines to Nunavut would be worthwhile even on the long term. These are small communities or mines separated by hundreds of kilometers of nothing.

Very similar to running a road from Churchill to Nunavut, although probably more doable.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I remember hearing about that too. Without knowing the details, I would find it so hard to believe the cost of running transmission lines to Nunavut would be worthwhile even on the long term. These are small communities or mines separated by hundreds of kilometers of nothing.

Very similar to running a road from Churchill to Nunavut, although probably more doable.
Here's a link to the article from Nunavut News:

https://nunavutnews.com/nunavut-news...5q3jPw1YRoxCHw

Personally I can't see how it wouldn't be worthwhile long-term. If hydro reduces or eliminates the need to ship in fuel, current costs get reduced. I would expect these communities to only grow in the future, especially if access to power is more reliable. You also can't ignore (unless your name is Kenney or Moe) the benefits to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:15 PM

Build the road already. They're building highways through the loon shit in tuktoyuktuk ffs. They even have a TV series on it!

Last edited by bomberjet; Feb 7, 2020 at 6:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:27 PM

^What TV show is that? I'd like to watch it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:32 PM

I can't remember, but it was on TV the other day. I'm not sure if it was specifically about building the highway. But it was definitely seemed to be a big part of the show.

The Inuvik to Tuk highway, or ITH. 138km long on permafrost type terrain. They built it in winter to ensure the permafrost remained frozen below the road. Not sure if the put insulation in or something.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:37 PM

^Cool, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 7:41 PM

Not really "development" news, per se, but good news for potential future developments in Manitoba. Here's an article posted in the Star from the Canadian Press. Unemployment rate in Manitoba is below the national average, and tied for second-lowest overall.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...39YDTauUhVZvQ4

Along with the recent news about the rise in the 20-24 age group in Winnipeg, I would hope that the agencies promoting business and growth in Manitoba get this information out there (and on a personal note, that the "there's-nothing-good-in-Manitoba" crowd shuts up for a while, but I suppose that's too much to ask)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:03 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They're building highways through the loon shit in tuktoyuktuk ffs.!
This is gold worth remembering!

Maybe we can start a campaign to change its official designation to the Loon Shit Highway and write nation-building songs of legendary status about it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I can't remember, but it was on TV the other day. I'm not sure if it was specifically about building the highway. But it was definitely seemed to be a big part of the show.

The Inuvik to Tuk highway, or ITH. 138km long on permafrost type terrain. They built it in winter to ensure the permafrost remained frozen below the road. Not sure if the put insulation in or something.
Road Trip!!

https://youtu.be/P9M-yxEul6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhMomcKT9o

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan