HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Maybe the last significant empty lot to get developed in Pearl? At least until Broadway Corridor gets its act together. Plus nearby slabtown is nearly fully built up too (including active proposals). It's a pretty neat drive from NW 23rd through slabtown and into Pearl. Really is becoming almost a large, hip, contiguous neighborhood.

Once Pearl and Slabtown are built up (not far off now), I wonder where developers will turn? I love the feel of old town, it's such a shame it's in the state it's in. What a cool historic vibrant area that should be.

Or conversion of downtown offices to residential. With office vacancies at their current and seemingly new normal, costs will be relatively cheap.
I feel like a large shift to the East Side of the Willamette will happen in the coming years for these types of developments. There are a lot of underdeveloped blocks in the Downtown core though, so that will be ongoing.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 2:35 PM

Does anyone have access to the images of the building submitted with this design advice review (Quimby by the Fields)? Not sure how to find them on public sites.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 3:21 PM

They’ll be published a week before the hearing, or, once the notice goes out you can email the planner assigned to the case to request the drawings.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:31 PM

On the Design Commission Agenda for 10/20:

Quote:
The applicant requests Design Advice for a proposed new residential mixed-use development in the Pearl Subdistrict of the Central City Plan District. The proposed development will have approximately 440 residential dwelling units and 300 underground parking spaces. The proposed building comprises approximately 451,000 SF of floor area and will extend up to approximately 260 feet tall with a 22-story tower at the site’s northwest corner; a long, angled bar at the southern edge of the site will rise 7 stories; and a three story podium will lie across most of the rest of the site. The ground floor will contain a retail space at the site’s southeast corner facing The Fields Park, a residential lobby, residential amenity spaces, and some residential dwelling units facing both NW Quimby St and the pedestrian pathway/bikeway extending north from NW 12th Avenue.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Nice! See developers can build tall if they want. What a way to utilize space rather wasting it with these 5+1 crap

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 9:40 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Nice! See developers can build tall if they want.
Oh, good grief. It isn't an issue of "if they want." Do you honestly believe developers aren't building taller buildings here because they don't want to?

Edited to add: I wish I knew if you're a kid, or if there is some other reason which prevents you from understanding basic adult concepts. In thread after thread, you post negative one liners that add nothing the conversation and show no understanding of... well... anything at all.

Does this forum have a block feature? It needs one.

Last edited by 2oh1; Sep 23, 2022 at 4:47 AM. Reason: Edited because the way I phrased it was very poor.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Oh, good grief. It isn't an issue of "if they want." Do you honestly believe developers aren't building taller buildings here because they don't want to?

Edited to add: I wish I knew if you're a kid, or if you have a mental disability which prevents you from understanding basic adult concepts. In thread after thread, you post negative one liners that add nothing the conversation and show no understanding of... well... anything at all.

2oh1 what I do? This is a great project. They are utilizing space to build higher density. This is great news. I’m glad these developers are not wasting land to build 5+1 tower

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:02 AM

Quote:

Edited to add: I wish I knew if you're a kid, [removed by mod in this quote.] In thread after thread, you post negative one liners that add nothing the conversation and show no understanding of... well... anything at all.

I'm really uncomfortable with the part I've censored in my "quote" and hope you'd rephrase. We shouldn't disparage people's health in any way.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I'm really uncomfortable with the part I've censored in my "quote" and hope you'd rephrase. We shouldn't disparage people's health in any way.
I saw that and rolled my eyes. Very disrespectful comment. He should be suspended.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:42 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
You're right. I phrased it very poorly. What I meant was that it would be helpful if we could at least understand what level of comprehension the poster has in order to understand why he understands so little and has no interest in learning. If he's in middle school, for example, that would explain it. Or, perhaps there is some other reason why it might not be reasonable to expect him to be able to understand even the basics of how the business world works.

Does a reasonable person really think developers aren't building everything to the maximum height because they don't want to, as if there's a collective group of all developers who have decided they want to disappoint him specifically by making sure nothing tall gets built?

Does every single thread need comment after comment by the same poster sniping about height with one liners and zero content? We get it. Enough already.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:58 AM

^eh...I am again emphasizing we should disagree without disparaging.

Quote:
Does a reasonable person really think developers aren't building everything to the maximum height because they don't want to, as if there's a collective group of all developers who have decided they want to disappoint him specifically by making sure nothing tall gets built?

Does every single thread need comment after comment by the same poster sniping about height with one liners and zero content? We get it. Enough already.

^These points are solid though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I saw that and rolled my eyes. Very disrespectful comment. He should be suspended.
BUT, this comment though. Really? I'm not going to pull the receipts.

Let's all refocus on discussion of projects and refrain from being anti-social on this forum.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Sep 23, 2022 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^eh...I am again emphasizing we should disagree without disparaging.

^These points are solid though.

BUT, this comment though. Really? I'm not going to pull the receipts.

Let's all refocus on discussion of projects and refrain from being anti-social on this forum.
Got it. Thanks Mark my bad

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:10 PM

Will there be a neighborhood fight against this tall of a building like there was for the Fremont building for blocking the view of the bridge? Or was that something unique to Fremont?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:03 PM

Is there a rendering where we can see the options with NW big tower. I was able to locate two options while back but now I cannot find it.
Thanks

Quote:
Will there be a neighborhood fight against this tall of a building like there was for the Fremont building for blocking the view of the bridge? Or was that something unique to Fremont?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
This block has always been part of the master plan and zoned to allow this tower. I'd be surprised if the neighbors who moved in knowing this was going to eventually be built, complain. That said, people do odd things all the time.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Sep 24, 2022 at 5:38 AM. Reason: fixed too to to

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
This block has always been part of the master plan and zoned too allow this tower. I'd be surprised if the neighbors who moved in knowing this was going to eventually be built, complain. That said, people do odd things all the time.
I was at the neighborhood association meeting earlier this week, and they were generally supportive of the tower. No issues or concerns over the height/massing, mostly just a desire to see successful retail and less parking.

Note that the City's current zoning code does not allow the hypothetical tower that was rendered in the Master Plan back in the 2000's due to floorplate limits, which is unfortunate because this is a great site for a curved tower.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:39 PM

So what caused the issue with Fremont? Zoning change?

Plus, even if expected and legally zoned, never underestimate people who will lose a view or parking

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
So what caused the issue with Fremont? Zoning change?

Plus, even if expected and legally zoned, never underestimate people who will lose a view or parking
I recall condo owners were involved in the fight against Fremont Place, but the argument was framed as losing a view of the Fremont Bridge from the Fields Park.

Block 24 was always envisioned as a tall tower to bookend the Pearl, so no one could really be blindsided by this proposal.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:13 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Am I correct, that this is between Quimby & Raleigh, NW 13th & 12th? What is at the block directly to the east, between NW 12th & 11th? Has that triangle-ish lot been developed yet?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:41 PM

This is the triangle lot that fronts the park:

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...A/4845951_did/

The lot to the west between 12th and 13th is U/C and is the retirement home, Holden of Pearl. Which is moving along nicely, just drove by last week.

https://www.milestoneretirement.com/.../holden-pearl/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland