HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
CC tommorow. May.6th.

Subdivision and Rezoning - 373, 359 and 357 River Avenue - DASZ 2/2014

3- http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...cc/2014/a13543

Rendering of proposal available

4 - This variance has more detailed plans on the proposal and is right below the Subdivision/Rezoning above by Cibinel Architects Ltd.
EDIT to proposal Image added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
373 River Ave Apartments (Cibinel Architects)

from winnipeg.ca

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:50 PM

Discussed earlier:

Winnipeg Performing Arts Lodge
River Ave, Osbourne St

Affordable apartment building. Demolition of the existing building on the site and construction of an arts centre and theatre building
9 storeys; 1 storey below grade

Preliminary plans are complete and are being reviewed by the owner
Fundraising is underway, announcements pending fall/winter 2014
The owners are working in joint-venture partnership. Ownership of the site is being finalized.

Artist's rendering of the new facility

http://palwinnipeg.org/

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:07 PM

^ I forgot about that. The model makes it look shorter than 9 storeys... that looks like 6, at most. But even a building of that size would be a great improvement to the corner of River and Osborne.

Considering what a bustling hub Osborne Village is, the two major intersections in the area (Osborne at River, Osborne at Stradbrook) punch way below their weight with parking lots, underused plazas and low-slung buildings. Something like the Performing Arts Lodge would really boost the urban character of the area.

I have no idea how realistic the project is, but I hope it happens. Remember when a Giant Tiger almost went into that corner about a decade ago?

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I forgot about that. The model makes it look shorter than 9 storeys... that looks like 6, at most. But even a building of that size would be a great improvement to the corner of River and Osborne.

Considering what a bustling hub Osborne Village is, the two major intersections in the area (Osborne at River, Osborne at Stradbrook) punch way below their weight with parking lots, underused plazas and low-slung buildings. Something like the Performing Arts Lodge would really boost the urban character of the area.

I have no idea how realistic the project is, but I hope it happens. Remember when a Giant Tiger almost went into that corner about a decade ago?
Crazy! I had no idea.

I agree that a building like this, built up to the street, would greatly enhance the urban character of the village. I never liked how the main strip of the village, between River and Stradbrook, was anchored by...nothing. So many corner parking lots. The firehall is IMO the worst culprit.

I would also like to see that stupid parking lot in front of Macs and A&W disappear. Basically a rebuild with Macs and A&W up to the sidewalk and parking behind if absolutely necessary.

Lets hope this proposal goes through.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Crazy! I had no idea.

I agree that a building like this, built up to the street, would greatly enhance the urban character of the village. I never liked how the main strip of the village, between River and Stradbrook, was anchored by...nothing. So many corner parking lots. The firehall is IMO the worst culprit.

I would also like to see that stupid parking lot in front of Macs and A&W disappear. Basically a rebuild with Macs and A&W up to the sidewalk and parking behind if absolutely necessary.

Lets hope this proposal goes through.
I agree completely. I can't believe that the Mac's stripmall hasn't been replaced yet... that is a prime plot of land, probably one of the best development sites in all of Winnipeg I would imagine. It's super high profile in a great neighbourhood, it would be a desirable place to live for a broad segment of the market.

As for the firehall, that is quickly becoming one of the last old-school pre-Unicity firehalls in Winnipeg. It must surely be just a matter of time before it gets replaced... that will open the doors to an excellent redevelopment opportunity and finally replace the dead zone that exists there. I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't see a building of at least 6 storeys go up there.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

As for the firehall, that is quickly becoming one of the last old-school pre-Unicity firehalls in Winnipeg. It must surely be just a matter of time before it gets replaced... that will open the doors to an excellent redevelopment opportunity and finally replace the dead zone that exists there. I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't see a building of at least 6 storeys go up there.
The plan for the firehall is too be rebuilt on the same site. They have done studies for other sites and have found none that can match the requirements needed for access to all major streets. The difficulty is in building a new facility while maintaining the same level of service and response times. This apparently is the only one of the city firehalls that cannot be relocated.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The plan for the firehall is too be rebuilt on the same site. They have done studies for other sites and have found none that can match the requirements needed for access to all major streets. The difficulty is in building a new facility while maintaining the same level of service and response times. This apparently is the only one of the city firehalls that cannot be relocated.
Ouch, what a punch to the gut that news is.

Can they seriously not move it on to Donald Street, or South Osborne, or anywhere other than that one single corner?!

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 8:03 PM

Quote:

Can they seriously not move it on to Donald Street, or South Osborne, or anywhere other than that one single corner?!
That's what I was thinking too...why not a few blocks east towards donald where it's kind of a deadzone (behind Journeys).

Hell, even in the parking lot behind Stellas/Vita Health! That's a huge surface lot and leads direction to the same streets the current location does

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Well, there is a new fire chief so maybe he can change this. It is hard to know if the Fire-Paramedic Service/City are ready for another land swap deal for a firehall.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, the image of the conceptual model and blurred on top of it doesn't give away too much, even the height of the proposal is in question with the image that was provided by PAL. 9F was what they are aiming for but contingent on fundraising.

Either way, 6-9F is something that would be welcome on this corner. I honestly don't remember a Giant Tiger being proposed in this location, even though I spent almost that long living in the Village and now close by as well. Then again , I was most likely not paying much attention to the urban density and development of the area back then.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Either way, 6-9F is something that would be welcome on this corner. I honestly don't remember a Giant Tiger being proposed in this location, even though I spent almost that long living in the Village and now close by as well. Then again , I was most likely not paying much attention to the urban density and development of the area back then.
It was 10 years ago...

http://www.winnipegonstage.com/gst.php

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, Like i said "I" don't remember it, thanks for the link though.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:27 AM
BANNED

125 Cauchon St.

from 2architecture.ca

400 Wardlaw Ave

from 2architecture.ca

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quite happy with the release of these initial renderings and details with respect to this proposal.
Quite honestly who couldn't be with the functionality and multi-use purpose of this building in such a high profile location in Osborne Village. I don't want to be too critical in my opinion of the project at this point and need some time for it to percolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
445 River Ave - Gas Station Arts Centre/Housing Co-op
9 storeys - 85 residential units

• A new 300 seat theatre for the Gas Station Arts Centre
• Approximately 5,000 sq ft of commercial space at grade fronting Osborne Street
• An extension of the plaza in front of Villa Cabrini
• A four storey cantilever over the sidewalk on Osborne Street to accommodate a crush space for the gas station theatre
• Approximately 60% of the units will be co-op housing units
• Upper stories of the building will be setback on River Avenue, Osborne Street, and the back lane, creating space for townhouses with terraces on the north and south sides
• A proposed urban greenhouse and artist studio on the roof

from http://www.winnipeg.ca / Cohlmeyer Architects

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:49 PM

I'm gonna be the first to admit I know very little about city planning and architecture, but man, super impressed with that proposal. My only question is a clarification on the Subway since the third render doesn't show it but the schematic does. Is the current building being subsumed and the restaurant will just operate out of the theatre's commercial space?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:51 PM

Thanks to headhorse for digging up that gem. I wonder how close that building is to becoming reality?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:42 PM

With the current information released reg: the proposal, the terraces on the North side of the building would push up to the Back lane as well as to the West on Osborne St. directly over the current Subway location. Integration of this establishment seems like the only option, unless some one feels they should build over this stand alone restaurant location?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks to headhorse for digging up that gem. I wonder how close that building is to becoming reality?
Good question. As with many Fundraising/Joint venture Projects, a time line for this kind of proposal is difficult to predict. What we do know is the PAL project is undergoing
preliminary planning which may be complete and ownership approvals. Earliest estimates are for the end of this year for the approval stage.

Others who may be involved in this proposed project may have a better timeline.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 5:27 PM

Osborne Village

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryans...86126064/?rb=1

Thanks to Bryan for this Picture.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:35 PM

They're going to need to start plans for more 30+ storey buildings if we want to maintain it as 2nd densest neighbourhood in Western Canada.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan