HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I'm not so sure; I don't see it happening at all. The NE portion of Regina is mainly industrial, and unless the company that owns the refinery is planning something that'll get more workers, I just don't see it happening.

From the looks of the bypass, is the Western portion of the bypass going along Pinkie Road?
The fact that the NE is industrial/possesses a refinery has nothing to do with whether there will (will not) be a bypass constructed there; it has to do with ease of traffic flow. (It will also be the toughest stretch to construct as well though.)

Heck, by the time they decide to construct the NE portion, they may start it at Balgonie instead. (Since there will then be an interchange there anyway.)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The fact that the NE is industrial/possesses a refinery has nothing to do with whether there will (will not) be a bypass constructed there; it has to do with ease of traffic flow. (It will also be the toughest stretch to construct as well though.)

Heck, by the time they decide to construct the NE portion, they may start it at Balgonie instead. (Since there will then be an interchange there anyway.)
I doubt they would start at Balgonie. This section will be completed in due course. I think people need to stop thinking about this project as the "Regional Bypass" and accept it for what it is the "Regina Bypass" As once Highway 1 is upgraded to a limited access highway between highway 10 and tower road, most if not all of the issues will go away.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I doubt they would start at Balgonie. This section will be completed in due course. I think people need to stop thinking about this project as the "Regional Bypass" and accept it for what it is the "Regina Bypass" As once Highway 1 is upgraded to a limited access highway between highway 10 and tower road, most if not all of the issues will go away.
True enough.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:42 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 10:03 PM

I am trying to figure out if this announcement has changed the scope of the bypass on the west side, North of Dewdney to Hwy 11. It was suppose to be mostly 2-Lane highway. But will this now be constructed as 4-lane? I guess we will know more when the RFP is released. But has anyone heard anything at this time?

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 9:44 AM

Quote:
I am trying to figure out if this announcement has changed the scope of the bypass on the west side, North of Dewdney to Hwy 11. It was suppose to be mostly 2-Lane highway. But will this now be constructed as 4-lane? I guess we will know more when the RFP is released. But has anyone heard anything at this time?
As far as I knew it was always supposed to be 4 lane divided at its conclusion. But it was to begin as a 2 lane road. Hope that helps!

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner2008 View Post
As far as I knew it was always supposed to be 4 lane divided at its conclusion. But it was to begin as a 2 lane road. Hope that helps!
The Ring Road used to be a two-laner as well; shortly thereafter, it was four. (The Trans-Canada highway also started as such.)

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner2008 View Post
Yes I had read in the documents on the highways website that stated it was to begin as a 2-lane and be upgraded. However I personally hope that they forgo the initial stage and just go to the 4-lane divided. I also wonder how they will handle 9th North intersection. Lights would not be a good idea, maybe a small overpass with a loop (identical to Lewvan and #1)

Can't wait to see RFP and detailed design documents.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Yes I had read in the documents on the highways website that stated it was to begin as a 2-lane and be upgraded. However I personally hope that they forgo the initial stage and just go to the 4-lane divided. I also wonder how they will handle 9th North intersection. Lights would not be a good idea, maybe a small overpass with a loop (identical to Lewvan and #1)

Can't wait to see RFP and detailed design documents.
IMO that would be a colossal waste of money. The north end traffic on the west side won't justify it for many years. There are many other highways in Sask that should be twinned before that stretch.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
IMO that would be a colossal waste of money. The north end traffic on the west side won't justify it for many years. There are many other highways in Sask that should be twinned before that stretch.
If they don't pave all 4-lanes of the road I can see them doing the earthwork / grading for the next set of lanes. I think with the amount of trucks expected to be using this road that they would bump it up the list to be twinned. Especially when a lot of city traffic will be using this road as well.

I do agree however that more of highway 16 east of Saskatoon should be twinned, also Highway 7 west of Saskatoon to the border with Alberta (more so than highway 16)

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think it has more to do with the connection to Highway 11 and less with north-end traffic.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
I think it has more to do with the connection to Highway 11 and less with north-end traffic.
Yes with highways 11 and 1 both being twinned, truckers would likely expect a connector between the two to be of the same quality as the highways themselves. Which is a reason there is 4-lane between the GTH and highway 1 being constructed right now.

At $2M a mile (for 4-lane divided) it would cost $10M to do. As oppose to $6-7M for a 2-lane road. So the increase is not astronomical and makes a lot of sense in terms of safety.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Yes with highways 11 and 1 both being twinned, truckers would likely expect a connector between the two to be of the same quality as the highways themselves. Which is a reason there is 4-lane between the GTH and highway 1 being constructed right now.

At $2M a mile (for 4-lane divided) it would cost $10M to do. As oppose to $6-7M for a 2-lane road. So the increase is not astronomical and makes a lot of sense in terms of safety.
I believe it is 7 miles. I thought it was at least $2 million per mile just to twin, where you already have the 2-lane and the land. the land alone could be $10 million.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 7:11 PM

Back in 2010 I was told by a civil engineer working on the Bypass that $2M-2.5M was the cost of 4-lane divided. I think in the end it will be done. But time will tell.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 9:19 PM

RFQ for the bypass project was released today.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownRiderFan View Post
RFQ for the bypass project was released today.
Thanks for the update DRF!

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:24 PM

I couldn't help to notice that the map associated with this link adds a little clarification as to some of the at grade crossings. It seems only the crossing at Courtney will be all directions and the one south of wascana village and also at centre road will be right turn only.

http://www.saskbuilds.ca/projects/Re...022%202014.pdf

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:58 PM

Interesting. I noticed Armour Road will also be at grade, all turns. Does this mean lights at these intersections or just stop signs?

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 6:04 PM

I would hope it would mean stop signs until the time comes where they either close the crossing or have the need to build an interchange there.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 8:24 PM

Highway 48 should be rerouted to 46 instead of just dead ending where it is now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan