HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
The neighbor was a Dr. who offered to buy them out to knock down the walls and double his unit. He paid them over $400,000 for it I know but not sure how much. Anyways, I always thought that that's rather expensive. $300,000-$400,000 for a builder grade 700 sq. ft. condo in Lakeview? Not sure what a comp in SF, NY or Boston would cost but it seems exorbitant.
An equivalent condo, non luxury but OK, in my neighborhood of Manhattan would be minimum of $750K but could easily go up to closer to $1M. Here's something comparable in size near where I live.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M39757-75753

Though you could get lucky and find something for around $650K:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M36881-20707

Equivalent of the price might be in say Astoria - which is a great neighborhood, like a more diverse Lakeview, but further away from Manhattan than Lakeview is to downtown:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M43325-15528

Or maybe in Jackson Heights which is even further away from Manhattan than Astoria is:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M34236-69136

Chicago is such a better deal it's not even funny. I can get a nice 2 bed, 2 bath 1600+ sq ft condo overlooking the lake in Edgewater near the Red Line and Whole Foods for around or under $300K. You can't find that good of a deal in NYC. I have a co-worker who is helping his father find a house in the Bronx - he told me he was shocked because he literally can't find a single family home anywhere in the Bronx for under $650K or $700K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
My wife pointed out to me, which I never noticed, that most Chicago based movies and shows make it a point throughout the program to have the characters repeatedly state that they are in Chicago.

New York movies let the city speak for itself. I wonder if this is so the audience doesn't take it for granted that the story takes place in New York because obviously Chicago is the only city on the planet that could possibly be confused with New York. If Chicago cabs were all yellow like New York the city's would be indistinguishable from eachother at street level in certain areas in pictures and movies.
Eh - yes and no. The only reason I knew it was in Chicago was because they showed the Lou Mitchell's sign inside and I know what Lou Mitchell's is. Then they are eating and say something about "they never left Chicago!" which doesn't mean anything - they could be anywhere in the world talking about someone who never left Chicago. The episode doesn't really actually say it. My girlfriend has never lived in Chicago (only visited) and while we were watching this, she was skeptical it was actually Chicago until they started showing the river high rise wall in the background and she recognized the plaza at River Point when the main character walks out on it "HEY! We've been there!"

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 21, 2018 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:01 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So I started watching Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime, which are a series of adaptations of some of Philip K Dick's short stories. The first episode takes place in Chicago and has some good shots. There is also kind of "futuristic Chicago" in that episode. Thought right away it was in Chicago because of a building that looked like the top of Merchandise Mart and was lit up like it. When they arrived at Lou Mitchell's in the episode, it was obvious.
I watched them all. Before I started, I hadn't known they were partly filmed here so it was like a little extra bonus for me. About a third of them seem to be filmed in Chicago. It's nice to see Chicago showing up in so much film these days. When I first moved here it was fairly rare but now it's become much more common, almost certainly due to the studios in the southwest side. Even with the tax credits, it's got to be some of the cheapest publicity Chicago can get, even when Chicago isn't as in-your-face as in the Dick Wolf series. In New York, the Law & Order series' singlehandedly kept a lot of actors eating, and if the Chicago shows have enough staying power I would hope they could benefit local actors in much the same way, perhaps enabling more actors to stick around instead of having to move to New York or LA too actually make a career of acting. I don't think we're quite there yet, but it could happen if things keep going.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:53 PM

From today's Crain's Chgo Business:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...h-america-says

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:37 PM

70 cranes in Toronto? That is a TON.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 9:46 PM
The City

How is NYC not totally owning that list? Seems way off

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:04 PM

Can anyone post the list, im not subscribed as of now. Or is that not allowed?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
It is way off...I don't know what their caveat is, but I can think of at least 9 cranes just in Queens at the moment. If I had to guess the number of active cranes in NYC right now, I'd put it >100

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
Can anyone post the list, im not subscribed as of now. Or is that not allowed?
Just google the title of the article to bypass the login wall...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
If this is by the same people as the last report like this, then they just arbitrarily exclude cities like New York and Miami, thereby making the entire thing absolutely pointless.

Miami and New York both 100% without a doubt have more residential tower cranes in operation, at least double Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:13 PM
1st Ward

Miami and NYC eclipsing Chicago makes sense, but I was surprised by Toronto. They must be erecting entire highrise neighborhoods over there. Seattle also makes sense, I assume a lot of that is Amazon related. If Chicago wins HQ2, it will be fun to see what that does to our tower crane count.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
If this is by the same people as the last report like this, then they just arbitrarily exclude cities like New York and Miami, thereby making the entire thing absolutely pointless.

Miami and New York both 100% without a doubt have more residential tower cranes in operation, at least double Chicago.
I thought Chicago was Building the second highest number of high rises in the US?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
, but I was surprised by Toronto. They must be erecting entire highrise neighborhoods over there.
toronto currently has 27 500+ foot towers U/C , with a further 83 proposed!

yeah, they've gone full-blown skyscraper building boom up there in the great white north.

if that pace keeps up, toronto will be passing chicago up in number of 500+ footers sometime in the middle of the next decade.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:33 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

yeah, they've gone full-blown skyscraper building boom up there in the great white north.

if that pace keeps up, toronto will be passing chicago up in number of 500+ footers sometime in the middle of the next decade.
And every single one of them looks exactly the same, too!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
many of them do have a "toronto condo tower" look, but there are some real stunners mixed in as well.

i really love the structural expressionism of The One and CIBC Square, both currently U/C.

i'd love to see some stuff along those lines in chicago.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post

Aaron (Glowrock)
Not to mention the most overbuilt bubble market in north america...i highly doubt its sustainable

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 10:47 PM

Lol Toronto's skyscrapers are a joke. Here's a good documentary that goes into depth on the mishaps of the condo industry there and what over building does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtjf0rYlQ4

"It spiraled out of control and it spiraled out of control because the city hall never had the power to say no"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:17 PM
1st Ward

Quote:

Wow, that's insane. Definitely puts our boom into perspective. Still impressive, but pales in comparison to our northern neighbor.

I would imagine most of these new buildings are residential/condos/apartments. I wonder how that can be sustained... is Toronto really seeing such high levels of population growth? If so, that's quite enviable.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Toronto really seeing such high levels of population growth?
yes.

city proper toronto is currently growing by roughly 25,000 people/year.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:29 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
yes.

city proper toronto is currently growing by roughly 25,000 people/year.
Impressive. We were losing a bit less than that per year last decade. Lets hope we can turn that around this census or next.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 11:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Impressive. We were losing a bit less than that per year last decade. Lets hope we can turn that around this census or next.
I realize that population is not all that important (we are importing wealthy households, not people) but it still baffles me that the third largest region in the richest nation on the planet, whose GDP is among the highest among regions in the world, can’t manage to gain people.

But whatever, I give up trying to understand these things. Just keep blaming the weather...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest