HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:30 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Everything Bicycles | Winnipeg

Come here to discuss everything bicycle-related. This includes the following pertinent topics:

* Bicycling
* Bicycle paths - current & in planning
* Bicycle lanes - current and in planning
* Bicycle repair shops & their location(s)

NOTE : This is not a thread for discussion of mass transit, public transit, "rapid" transit, etc... For subjects relating to "transit" in the metro area, please see this thread. Thx.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:37 PM

Where's a good used bike shop? Looking for a mountain bike or cruiser type bike. I checked out the WRENCH thing at The Forks and they had some decent bikes, but nothing yet that's a good fit.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Where's a good used bike shop? Looking for a mountain bike or cruiser type bike. I checked out the WRENCH thing at The Forks and they had some decent bikes, but nothing yet that's a good fit.
I used to get Trek's or Giant's from a Pawn Shop on Sargent between Maryland and Sherbrooke, if I recall correctly. If you need repairs on your cycle, there is a place in the Exchange called Natural Cycle, and they always did a good job. There is also a place called the Bike Dump behind the Red Road Lodge, which gave free workshops to locals to help them restore their bikes with spare parts, and teach them proper bicycle maintenance.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:38 PM

There's an RFP out for the AT bridge over Assiniboine River. Good project for general connectivity. Osborne right into Bro-Ass.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2017&YEAR=2017

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
There's an RFP out for the AT bridge over Assiniboine River. Good project for general connectivity. Osborne right into Bro-Ass.

I'm glad to hear this is moving along. This will be a huge improvement for walking/cycling connectivity between Osborne Village and downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:

City really needs to incorporate bike lanes on River and Stradbrook. River will be a challenge for sure, but there's a TON of room on Stradbrook already that would allow them to just plop one (protected) along the curb, and connect to the AT path along the RT line. The right curb lane on Stradbrook between Osborne and Donald is almost double-wide, and people always fly down that street since it's far too big for the need. It's in such bad shape too that a full repaving can't be too far off. Possible solution might even be a two-way lane on Stradbrook instead of one-ways on each, since there's enough room for it, and the connection to the existing path is already there. Then use Scott possibly to link with the new bridge.

Also, the city really needs to create an opening here for bikes to used the protected lanes on the QE Bridge. If you're biking in or along the diamond lane on Main (as for some reason it tells you too), it's pretty much impossible to get onto the bike lane without awkwardly entering the crosswalk and cutting back over.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:

It's a dream of mine that a riverwalk on the South side be completed along with the pending redevelopment of South Point It would need to be built higher than the existing North side riverwalk and I'm not sure how the properties lining the river can accommodate it but it would be pretty sweet.

Another pretty major gap in the bike path network imo, is on route 90 between Ikea and McGillivray, which is exacerbated by the lack of a path on Waverly South of McGillivray. Basically, I need to head down Waverly then over to Kenaston any time I visit friends in the surprisingly bike friendly evil suburbs of Waverly West. I often drive because it's more convenient. First world problems

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:

Would love this - hope they leave the tennis courts in at McFadyen park (since I do plan... eventually... on doing physical activity besides walking and cycling). If not wouldn't mind though.

I get the need for the gas station in Osborne for sure but that Shell is a bit of a bummer when you're walking across the main bridge there. Kind of feels like you have to get down past the Shoppers before you've truly entered Osborne due to the various parking lot fronted businesses at the immediate North limit of the village.

Not major issue by any means, but just would be nice to have a second option.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Nice article and the mistaken rush for dedicated bikeways on roadways.

http://business.financialpost.com/op...moting-cycling

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Correction: Nice opinion piece, written by Lawrence Solomon, executive director of Urban Renaissance Institute, a division of Energy Probe Research Foundation.

"Energy Probe is a non-governmental social, economic, and environmental policy organization based in Toronto, known for denying man-made climate change.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Probe

Remember, opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has one.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

I can't help but notice that he has absolutely no data to prove that bikes are causing any of the problems he attributes to them, other than a vague observation that some of the roads with bike lanes also have traffic congestion. Anyone with a modicum of critical thinking skills can tell you that correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

Cyclists breathe in more pollution than others? That's an argument against cars and the fumes they spew out, not an argument against bikes. Cyclists get injured more often? That's an argument for safer infrastructure, and again a problem not cause by bikes but rather by cars that run into bikes. Plus he doesn't even try to show that those health costs outweigh the benefits - because they probably don't. Cycling infrastructure costs money? We spend as much on one single underpass for cars as the global cities he mentions are spending on their cycling revolutions. There's not a single intelligent point to be found in this thing. It's a propaganda piece and you just ate it right up.

Last edited by windypeg; Dec 3, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:00 PM

i just saw this - sorry if already posted elsewhere

http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pedes...lanesystem.stm

awesome looks like construction starts this year - unless something has changed which i don't know about :|

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Come here to discuss everything bicycle-related. This includes the following pertinent topics:

* Bicycling
* Bicycle paths - current & in planning
* Bicycle lanes - current and in planning
* Bicycle repair shops & their location(s)

NOTE : This is not a thread for discussion of mass transit, public transit, "rapid" transit, etc... For subjects relating to "transit" in the metro area, please see this thread. Thx.
I used to love cycling through Assiniboine Park, Wellington crescent, and up to the Osborne Village when I resided in Old Charleswood in the late 90s. There are also several paved routes from the Park through the outskirts of the Forest to Grant Avenue. It was such a waste when the city built over that North- South rail line that extended from Linden woods to Notre Dame, and placed big box stores on the old line. It would have been perfect for cyclists trekking from the south area to RRC or Polo Park.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I used to love cycling through Assiniboine Park, Wellington crescent, and up to the Osborne Village when I resided in Old Charleswood in the late 90s. There are also several paved routes from the Park through the outskirts of the Forest to Grant Avenue. It was such a waste when the city built over that North- South rail line that extended from Linden woods to Notre Dame, and placed big box stores on the old line. It would have been perfect for cyclists trekking from the south area to RRC or Polo Park.
Such a waste.

Thanks for the info on the bikes. I'll make sure to keep those places in mind. Maybe I'll take my old beater in and see what it'll take. Needs everything haha I figured its probably easier, and more fun, to get something newer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Such a waste.

Thanks for the info on the bikes. I'll make sure to keep those places in mind. Maybe I'll take my old beater in and see what it'll take. Needs everything haha I figured its probably easier, and more fun, to get something newer.

Here is their website.

http://bike-dump.ca/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:22 AM

^Would have been a good future bus corridor as well. RT/AT.

--

Side note, the Assinniboine bike crossing on Main Street has been entirely painted in green epoxy. Much more visible, great job.

The city should be painting hashed green lines like this at ALL bike lanes going through intersections - whether buffered or not. Even Saskatoon has done that. No extra awareness for drivers to know to expect bikes crossing, which would be very valuable for right turns on reds and one-way left turns.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Would have been a good future bus corridor as well. RT/AT.

--

Side note, the Assinniboine bike crossing on Main Street has been entirely painted in green epoxy. Much more visible, great job.

The city should be painting hashed green lines like this at ALL bike lanes going through intersections - whether buffered or not. Even Saskatoon has done that. No extra awareness for drivers to know to expect bikes crossing, which would be very valuable for right turns on reds and one-way left turns.
It's a great start, but 2016 Fort pilot of that paint has me nervous about its longevity. That paint is pretty heavily worn one year in, and that's with minimal non-bike traffic in the lane. If it's regularly repainted (not holding my breathe, but maybe!) it certainly helps.

Still concerned the EB Assiniboine to SB Main corner design encourages cars to take the corner at speed. Now that it's a stop instead of a yield, I'd really like to see the turning lane removed and a 90° corner required of cars to slow that corner right down. Assiniboine really can't also be a convenient shortcut for EB Broadway traffic to cut over and merge to SB Main with the AT crossing at Main, and removing the turning lane would discourage that usage. There's a very active Twitter account for Assiniboine and Main AT Crossing concerns, and I've personally had issues about 25% of the time when crossing as a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Streetview photo from 2016 with the offending corner, but without the new paint:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 7:11 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I forgot to mention that this thread should be a STICKY because it's like Construction, Transit, etc...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:19 PM

What they should do is since there's a traffic light on Main anyway, put one for the Assiniboine traffic as well and remove stop signs. No right turn on red from say 7 AM to 7 PM. Effect is a normal green light cycle when pedestrians/cyclists cross - you can enter intersection and turn right when it's clear. Wouldn't need to change the road design at all - just add in two traffic lights for EB Assiniboine traffic.

And while they're at it, put up 2 more signals for SB Main. It's insane to me that there's only 2 signals on a 5 lane road. And they're in front of the route signs making them harder to see in daylight. For comparison, I believe there are 4 signals at that intersection going NB, but it's only 3 lanes + diamond lane.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:17 PM

Something Winnipeg desperately needs is to step up the ticketing of bikes using sidewalks, especially on streets that already have a dedicated bike lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan