HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batcow View Post
Yes. Forgive my momentary rant without context. I've done a fair amount more lurking than posting on forums. It was not my intent to shush people and stop discussion.

My intention lies within the amount of "lurking" that I do. I try to read all I can before I post as I fear saying something stupid and uninformed. So I get to see Twitter posts or other social site postings where there is always someone saying something that they would not have to say if they did a couple minutes of research. I don't mind honest questions as I have a lot. I should know better with social media. But it still irks me a little.

My whole post comes down to: it's probably not financially feasible to have to paint lines all the time just to maybe have 1 or 2 opportunities for professional soccer every couple of years. And they probably have run the numbers on it. It seems like we are building a stadium in the best possible way (or compared to every other new CFL stadium).
Yes, no worries. It's also difficult to detect the desired tone of a post, or any text. You don't get the subtleties that come through with audio or visual.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Best Webcam yet

Yeah sweet cam. The field be green in no time!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:26 PM

Also, I thought the roof was to be translucent? Shadow on the field looks pretty dark. Maybe it's hard to detect due to the contrast.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Also, I thought the roof was to be translucent? Shadow on the field looks pretty dark. Maybe it's hard to detect due to the contrast.
When I was given a tour of the stadium a few weeks ago, I got the feeling the roof was quite translucent. The top of the east upper deck was pleasantly bright even though it was in the shade (I was toured around 9am).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think that people, including myself, were thinking that the material would be almost transparent. It is translucent, just not to the same degree as the renderings. But I've thought about it and I don't know how you communicate translucency in a picture without pushing it towards the transparent.

This material is very new to me so I don't know all of its properties. It could get a bit more translucent in the next year.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I think that people, including myself, were thinking that the material would be almost transparent. It is translucent, just not to the same degree as the renderings. But I've thought about it and I don't know how you communicate translucency in a picture without pushing it towards the transparent.

This material is very new to me so I don't know all of its properties. It could get a bit more translucent in the next year.
It has lightened a fair bit, but the say it will only be 15 per cent translucent

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:12 PM

Yeah, the roof material was definitely over-hyped and over-sold. It's basically going to be the same as a thin tent awning, where it lets a little bit of light in, but is mostly opaque. It definitely won't look close to the marketing renders.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Yeah, the roof material was definitely over-hyped and over-sold. It's basically going to be the same as a thin tent awning, where it lets a little bit of light in, but is mostly opaque. It definitely won't look close to the marketing renders.
I am interested to see how it glows at night when the lights are fired up. That should look good. With the LED's they can run those lights all the time.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:23 PM

I would think the field can roll up onto one roll and be replaced with another. I've mentioned this a few times, "MULTI-PURPOSE FACILTY" not just a football stadium.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
I would think the field can roll up onto one roll and be replaced with another. I've mentioned this a few times, "MULTI-PURPOSE FACILTY" not just a football stadium.
I would hope so. It would not be great on the field to have a concert there, for example, if they couldn't remove the turf.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Serious question. How would you communicate that in the renders? In the preview centre they set up, they were not overhyping or overselling. I remember thinking, "well that's not as clear as I thought it would be".

Other characteristics of the material are perfect for the application. Self cleaning, non-stick (Teflon), strong, light, heat resistant, waterproof etc. Plus they said all along that it would be PTFE and not the transparent ETFE.

They weren't lying when they said translucent. It just appeared more transparent in the renders. I just don't know how you would communicate 15% translucency in a picture.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I would hope so. It would not be great on the field to have a concert there, for example, if they couldn't remove the turf.
They do not roll up the turf for concerts. It is just pea gravel underneath. At old Mosaic they covered it. Here is Kid Rock:

Stones:

Last edited by Stormer; Jul 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Quote:
They've never removed the turf at Mosaic for events and modern turf is not designed to be "rolled up", ever.

They will just cover it if needed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
They've never removed the turf at Mosaic for events and modern turf is not designed to be "rolled up", ever.

They will just cover it if needed.
Weighing over 561 tonnes and all.

I wonder if they have a machine that would make the fibers stand up after being flattened down by say a outside hockey game, monster truck rally or concert?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Weighing over 561 tonnes and all.

I wonder if they have a machine that would make the fibers stand up after being flattened down by say a outside hockey game, monster truck rally or concert?
yes
http://krigger.com/Catalog/ProductPa...ficialTurf.htm

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:57 PM

They'll have groomers that Field Turf specifies. Different heads used for different purposes.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 12:35 AM

Fantastic view from the webcam!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
LOL Right on the money as always, Skydivepilot!
Hahaha!!!! One tries, lol. Perhaps it may be one idea anyway.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 9:41 PM

Are there going to be access points from the spectator stands that feed directly to the field level? Most of the images and renderings don't show this very clearly. At current Mosaic Stadium, you can see the staircases that the reach field level. Without them the spectators would have to take a more roundabout route to access the field level in the case of concerts. Aren't these access points provided to allow timely evacuation of the stands in case of emergencies?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am interested to see how it glows at night when the lights are fired up. That should look good. With the LED's they can run those lights all the time.
Absolutely! The LEDs have an incredible lifespan and consume bugger all for power. Moreover, the stadium would seriously enhance the skyline at night --- ESPECIALLY when approaching the city from Highways 1 and 11.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan