HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:49 PM

Saskatchewan again outpacing Alta. for migration

LP article...
Quote:
Saskatchewan again outpacing Alta. for migration
Veronica Rhodes, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, March 29, 2007
After living in Calgary for 18 years, Gene Howie has packed up his belongings and will arrive back in the Queen City today.
“Everything I need, I’ll find in Regina,” Howie said in a phone interview from Calgary, where he was preparing for the move.
“Calgary is an expensive city so you can’t take in all the events that go on here anyway. It is limited to what you can afford.” According to the latest Statistics Canada quarterly report, Howie is one of many flocking to Saskatchewan. Between October and December of last year, the province’s population grew by almost 2,100 people, from 985,859 to 987,939.
Email to a friendPrinter friendly
Font:
Alberta’s non-stop population boom seems to be slowing, with Saskatchewan once again outpacing Alberta for migration between the two provinces. In the fourth quarter, 2,838 Albertans moved east to Saskatchewan while 2,710 people headed the other way.
Of the new Saskatchewan residents, 1,086 came from net interprovincial migration, 438 from net international migration and 556 were the result of natural increase.
Industry and Resources Minister Eric Cline said there are a number of factors contributing to the growth, including cost of living, quality of life and a diverse economy.
“The economy of Saskatchewan is very strong and very diverse and it is moving. There are jobs available. I think for most people who have left the province, they may have left in the past because they felt there were not good job opportunities here. There are job opportunities for people so they’re taking a look, (and) many people are coming back,” said Cline.
Family is a large part of the draw back to the Queen City for Howie. He has bought property in Regina and is planning to open a barber shop.
Howie admitted the province can offer a better quality of life due to the much lower cost of living.
“Regina has a lot to offer now,” said Howie.
This is the third consecutive quarter the province has seen a boost in its population. The percentage of population change for Saskatchewan was 0.21 per cent, which was the third-highest increase in the country, after Alberta
(0.65) and British Columbia (0.25).
For the first time in 23 years, Saskatchewan’s boost in population also came at a higher rate than the national average of 0.14 per cent.
Saskatchewan Party MLA Lyle Stewart said the Opposition was pleased to see the population increase. The party had long advocated for changes to taxes to improve the business atmosphere in the province, which was adopted by the NDP government last year and Stewart believes has helped draw people back to the province.
But he is skeptical that the population numbers can be sustained.
“During the time of this premier being in power, we’ve had a loss of 10,000 and now a rebound of 2,000 for a net loss of about 8,000 during this premier’s reign of economic terror, during the time when it should have been a boom for this province,” said Stewart.
But Cline believes the upward trend in population will continue, largely due to the strength of the provincial economy in many sectors.
“We have a very strong oil and gas sector and those prices, I think, are going to stay up. We have a strong mining sector and potash and uranium prices are going to go up. We’re optimistic about the development of diamonds. And we have a strong manufacturing sector as well,” Cline told reporters.
“With agriculture, those give our economy a four-legged stool instead of the one-legged stool that we used to have.”
I have a friend who moved back to Regina just last week after living in Edmonton for a couple of years. He's excited to be back. Plus, he left on his own and is coming back with a girlfriend and a baby!

Last edited by BrannyMuffin; Mar 30, 2007 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:55 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
In the fourth quarter, 2,838 Albertans moved east to Saskatchewan while 2,710 people headed the other way.
What are the numbers for the year, I wonder? Just curious.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:55 PM

Really? I knew that people were starting to move back, but I had no idea the migration trend had actually reversed like that!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:23 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I swear you Sask forumers have a thread for everything.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
What are the numbers for the year, I wonder? Just curious.

I beleive the answer is in the quote that you quoted.

Quote:
In the fourth quarter, 2,838 Albertans moved east to Saskatchewan while 2,710 people headed the other way.
The forth quarter... consists of 3 months.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:41 PM
Mooderator

A year has 12 months, maybe I'm wrong?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:41 PM
ILYR

Some interesting population/migration numbers. Alberta's in-migration is slowing and it appear that Manitoba and Saskatchewan are benefiting.

From Statistics Canada
As a result, the growth in Alberta's population during the fourth quarter slowed slightly to 0.65%, a bit slower than last year (+0.75%). Even so, this was still more than four times the 0.14% overall increase in Canada's estimated population.
This slowdown occurred in large part because of an increase in people leaving Alberta for other parts of the country. As a result, net gains from interprovincial migration increased for most other provinces, especially British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
Fuelled by this shift in interprovincial migration patterns, Saskatchewan's population rose 0.21% during the fourth quarter. This was the first time in 23 years that the province's quarterly growth was faster than the national average. It was also the first time since 1996 that it recorded an increase in population for three consecutive quarters.
In Manitoba, the population growth for the last three months of 2006 (+0.13%) was higher than the same period last year (+0.00%). This growth stays nonetheless lower than the country's average. It can be explained by smaller losses from interprovincial migration and by the highest fourth-quarter increase in immigrants since 1973.
October 1, 2006pp January 1, 2007pp October 1, 2006 to January 1, 2007
number % change
Canada 32,730,213 32,777,304 0.14
Newfoundland and Labrador 508,955 508,548 -0.08
Prince Edward Island 138,596 138,632 0.03
Nova Scotia 934,172 933,793 -0.04
New Brunswick 748,439 748,582 0.02
Quebec 7,669,100 7,676,097 0.09
Ontario 12,721,776 12,726,336 0.04
Manitoba 1,178,491 1,180,004 0.13
Saskatchewan 985,859 987,939 0.21
Alberta 3,413,464 3,435,511 0.65
British Columbia 4,327,431 4,338,106 0.25
Yukon 31,151 31,032 -0.38
Northwest Territories 41,929 41,777 -0.36
Nunavut 30,850 30,947 0.31

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
A year has 12 months, maybe I'm wrong?

I misread you posting, sorry. I thought you were asking what population gaining in the quarter.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I swear you Sask forumers have a thread for everything.
Yes, this must stop! Off your computers and back into the fields everyone!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 6:30 AM
urbanYVR.com

great news for Sask.!
similar thing happening in Manitoba as well.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:37 AM

Smile Migration

Good to hear,Manitobans and Saskatchewanites welcome back home, ALBERTA specifically Calgary is overated and overpriced!!

Last edited by pegcityboy; Apr 2, 2008 at 5:40 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 5:51 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Good to hear,Manitobans and Saskatchewanites welcome back home, ALBERTA specifically Calgary is overated and overpriced!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 6:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Good to hear,Manitobans and Saskatchewanites welcome back home, ALBERTA specifically Calgary is overated and overpriced!!
no people are getting sick of working in fort mac and such and want to return home with their extra cash...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 7:25 AM
Canadian Urbanite

This had me so confused...I was wondering why Eric Cline was commenting...then I realized this is an old thread.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

odd wish i had noticed the date

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:43 PM

ya us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
This had me so confused...I was wondering why Eric Cline was commenting...then I realized this is an old thread.
You think you were confused? I saw the thread and was going to click on it to read it when I saw that I MADE IT! Imagine what went through my head when I didn't remember doing it!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:49 AM

Glad to see things doing well in Saskatchewan...you do hear it on the news here in Calgary quite a bit.

But, with regards to the opening story, it does seem strange that if you've lived here for 18 years, that you'd all of a sudden find it expensive (unless, they were renting the whole time). The listings inventory keeps growing here, and prices keep dropping...so, it'll come back in line here.

Regina and Saskatoon have a lot to offer though, so folks moving there shouldn't come as a big surprise. Along with prices, Calgary and Edmonton's biggest problem is that its hitting a point in size that a lot of people don't like, and would rather live in a smaller city that still offers most of what the larger cities offer, but hopefully a more relaxed pace.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan