HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:12 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Considering Winnipeg is home to more corporate head offices than Ottawa and Edmonton it is obvious you know absolutely nothing about Winnipeg.

On this intersection alone you have the largest multimedia company in Canada.. the third largest telecom in Canada... the Western district head office of the Royal Bank.. Richardson and Sons Inc which is a massive corp made up of grain, property, oil and investment broakerage, as well as the commodity exchange...ect ect ect...
This is an awsome shot of Portage and Main, btw

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:13 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I agree.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 4:15 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I know.. one of my all time favorites.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:06 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
Ahem, if I may...

hey.. that flags looks new, and still creased.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:09 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I know.. one of my all time favorites.
thats an awesome picture!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:24 AM

Folks, please don't make this thread a city vs city thread or else it will be locked.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:26 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

A bit off topic, but I was surprised when this channel highlighted the Grey Cup back in '91.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QbiyRLMk6fg

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I'd rather live in a hick town than a poor one!
Here's a good read for ReginaGuy: --------------------------------------------------------------------
Conference board bullish on Winnipeg in 2008
To be 3rd in economic growth after Calgary, Edmonton
Tue Jan 22 2008

By Larry Kusch

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
City posted economic growth of 3.9 per cent in 2007, its best since '97.

WINNIPEG will sport the third-strongest economy among Canadian cities this year because of a continuing construction boom and a thriving manufacturing sector, the Conference Board of Canada said Monday.

The think-tank projects that Winnipeg's census metropolitan area (CMA), which includes bordering municipalities, will enjoy real economic growth of 3.4 per cent in 2008, trailing only those of Calgary (4.2 per cent) and Edmonton (4 per cent).

The board said in its Metropolitan Outlook the city posted economic growth of 3.9 per cent last year, its best showing since 1997 and fourth best in Canada.

John McCallum, a University of Manitoba economist, said he feels the conference board's growth projections are generally a little too robust, although he doesn't dispute Winnipeg's No. 3 ranking.

"I'm not surprised at all that they have Calgary and Edmonton and Winnipeg high relative to other cities in Canada," McCallum said.

"I'm surprised that they have Winnipeg up at such a high number because for some time now, I've been thinking that Canada is going to get growth around two or two and a quarter per cent this year," he said.

"I just don't see Winnipeg outpacing Canada to that extent."

The conference board projects real Canadian GDP growth in 2008 at 2.8 per cent and pegs Manitoba's growth at 3.5 per cent, second to Alberta among Canadian provinces.

Winnipeg's lofty ranking was no surprise to the city's economic tourism and promotion agency or to the Chamber of Commerce.

Stuart Duncan, president of Destination Winnipeg, said the Manitoba capital is "riding one of the better economic cycles this city has seen for a long, long time."

"We have been pointing out the real economic comeback and turnaround for Winnipeg over the past four years," Duncan said in a statement. "2007 was very strong -- probably peak of this cycle -- but 2008 should be another good year overall," he said.

Dave Angus, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, noted that the city's manufacturing sector has been able to adjust to the negative impact of a rising Canadian dollar better than other jurisdictions.

"We have the diversity that you need to weather some of the (economic) storms in the U.S.," Angus said, referring to the Manitoba economy as a whole.

Wilf Falk, Manitoba's chief statistician, said the conference board projections are on the high side of what has been predicted for Manitoba -- and by implication for Winnipeg -- so far this year.

Provincial GDP growth projections for Manitoba in 2008 range from 2.2 per cent (TD bank) to the conference board's 3.5 per cent. Several Canadian banks have pegged Manitoba's 2008 growth at three per cent.

Taking the average of all of the predictions so far, Manitoba's economy would grow 2.8 per cent this year compared with a Canadian growth rate of 2.4 per cent, Falk said.

"All things being equal, '08 should be a reasonably good year for us relative to other jurisdictions," he said.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Top nine cities

Projected 2008 GDP growth among cities:

1. Calgary 4.2 per cent

2. Edmonton 4.0

3. Winnipeg 3.4

4. Vancouver 3.3

4. Abbotsford 3.3

6. Quebec City 2.8

6. Toronto 2.8

6. Halifax 2.8

9. Saskatoon and three others 2.7

Source: Conference Board of Canada
'Pegged for success

Highlights of Conference Board of Canada report on Canada's census metropolitan areas*:
* Winnipeg will post the third highest growth in gross domestic product (GDP) among Canadian cities this year, after a fourth place finish last year.

* The city's economy will grow 3.4 per cent in 2008 after expanding by 3.9 per cent in 2007 -- the fastest since 1997.

* Heavy infrastructure spending, "sturdy" housing starts together with a strong manufacturing sector and solid performance from farms in the census metropolitan area contributed to last year's heady result.

* Winnipeg's manufacturing output expanded four per cent in 2007 and should rise similarly in 2008.

* Winnipeg's per capita income in 2006 was $33,100, slightly lower than the national average of $33,600.

* Employment grew two per cent last year in Winnipeg compared with an average of 1.5 per cent over the preceding decade.

* Winnipeg's unemployment rate will fall to 4.3 per cent, the lowest on record, in 2008 after averaging 4.6 per cent the last two years.

* Employment in the Winnipeg construction sector is expected to rise 10 per cent to 21,700 this year, compared with 2007.

* Manitoba's GDP will grow by 3.5 per cent in 2008, after a robust 3.7 per cent expansion last year.

* Canada's GDP growth is forecast at 2.8 per cent this year, compared with 2.6 per cent last year.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:20 AM
Youth of a Nation

with everything being said the overall outlook is positive in both places, which is awesome. both places can claim victory it was a very good year for the cfl, the only thing left is to expand into other cities with the possibilities of franchising there, and addressing some stadiums, which in this case, is pretty much this thread sort of lol. id like to see more fixed seats in the areas with limited and only temporary seating added. Winnipeg has addressed this, in Montreal the Molson Stadium, even though its capacity is small, they are currently upgrading their stadium with a minimum 5k seats. Montreal always has the Olympic Stadium if anything else.

back to Regina, im pretty sure they could get away with building a new stadium, hence the fantasy of the model in the pictures, outlined in the current area. just gives a perspective of what could be, or how things can be if only. i cheer for the bombers, but i also support canadian events and totally support the cfl. bigger balls, bigger field.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:25 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
hey.. that flags looks new, and still creased.
It must be new, maybe a month old...I don't recall it being raised during the Grey Cup, the building was still under construction...

When I first saw it from a distance I thought to myself "That would be very cool if it were a Rider flag"....the green lighting scheme for Prairie Wind and the Traffic Bridge were awesome displays of pride, flying a Rider flag at River Landing speaks even more loudly of the city's desire for a CFL team of their own (possibly some connection with the recent musings of building a stadium ).

Photo credit: Me

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 6:21 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
thats an awesome picture!
I know Dan Harper is incredible.

Here is a couple more..

From the traffic helicopter... looks like the bridge is flowing nicely.

Looking down Portage.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:38 PM

I for the most part would love to see a new stadium built but got to thinking what Mosaic "could" look like if we actually put some serious $$ into it. I've spent many hours on Google sketch-up creating what I thought made MS look good. This is totally for fun only but perhaps some good ideas can come out of this.

http://riderfan4life.googlepages.com/home

For those that have google sketch up ( worth downloading)

http://riderfan4life.googlepages.com/mssketchup3d
Edit/Delete Message

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:11 AM
Youth of a Nation

nicely done. i like how u added the walkway around it, not sure if the intent was to have a complete walkway all around but pretty cool. nice incorporation of the old with the new. hell you even added some trees. lol. well done

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 3:26 PM

Quote:
nicely done. i like how u added the walkway around it, not sure if the intent was to have a complete walkway all around but pretty cool. nice incorporation of the old with the new. hell you even added some trees. lol. well done
Yes, it was my intent to have some type of walkway around the whole stadium. This is actually getting quite the stir here in Regina. It's even made the Newstalk 980/950 website.

Thanks for the props. We'll see where this goes.

cheers

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:27 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderfan4life View Post
Yes, it was my intent to have some type of walkway around the whole stadium. This is actually getting quite the stir here in Regina. It's even made the Newstalk 980/950 website.

Thanks for the props. We'll see where this goes.

cheers
cool, i will have to listen/read about it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan