HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
working stiff

Saskatoon unites in support of Station 20 West

Quote:
2000 Strong For Station 20 West

By Brynn Harris
Updated April 5, 2008 - 2:07pm

An incredible turnout in support of Station 20 West.

During a community walk this morning, 2000 people pushed strollers, walked dogs, and held signs, showing their support for the proposed community health clinic and grocery store.

Cars honked in support of the initiative, and even some elderly people took part by using their motor scooters.

The project "hit a wall" so to speak, when 8 million dollars of provincial funding was pulled last month.

After the walk, supporters took turns voicing their feelings on why the project is essential for the community.

Supporters and board members alike are now hoping for a response from Brad Wall.

They say ideally, that reponse would include a cheque.
Source

The following photos were pulled from the Facebook group "Community Walk to Support and Celebrate Station 20 West"

The following photos were pulled from the Facebook group "Friends of Station 20 West"

Animation flyover of Station 20 West
http://www.station20west.org/flyover-popup/index.html

Screenshots captured from flyover animation

Source

Quote:
Main Level

* inside and outside multi-purpose gathering areas
* full-service grocery store
* community kitchen
* gathering areas for community celebrations and educational activities
* shared loading, recycling and cold storage areas.

Second Level

* community health and education
* possibility for drop-in childcare
* linked to the main level through an open stairwell and elevator inside the building and a terraced, landscaped park area on the outside of the building has direct access to the exterior gathering space.

Third Level

* Quint Development Corporation
* CHEP Good Food Inc.
* community outreach programs
* staff areas and shared meeting rooms

Environmental Technology

1. Natural ventilation via solar chimney

2. Geothermal environmental system: ground source heating and cooling loops tied to radiant heating and cooling systems

3. Passive solar pre-heating unit for fresh air intake

4. Solar panels for hot water heat and energy transfer

5. A bio-wall to enhance indoor air quality
Energy Efficiency

6. High quality, triple glazed, operable windows

7. Maximum use of natural lighting through window placement and light sensor switches

8. Much higher levels of insulation (R-40 walls and R-60 roof)

Waterless urinals (not shown)
Smart Ideas

9. Heat reclaim and energy transfer for all exhaust air and hot water

10. Showers and secure bicycle storage for staff and volunteers to encourage zero-emission transportation

11. Heat pumps designed to integrate building heating and food cooling requirements

12. On-site rainwater retention for cooling, irrigation and toilet operation

Features:
How Station 20 West stands out

Integration of programs and services

* sharing and co-operation—partner organizations
* making the very best use of our resouces

Social Enterprise Model

* A not-for-profit business with financial, social and environmental benefits
* A complimentary mix—of community organizations, public institutions, businesses and co-ops

Environmental sustainability

* state-of-the-art building methods
* minimal energy and water usage
* promoting pollution-free transportation

Place-making—an example for Canada

* A gathering place for everybody, strengthening our community
* The Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Foundation realized the potential of Station 20 West as a national demonstration site for place-making and donated the initial development funds.
Source

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:48 AM

This will be a great addition to the community when it is built. Hopefully sooner than later the government realizes it"s mistake of pulling funding. If not maybe the city will have to put up the missing cash, or even the feds?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:37 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
This will be a great addition to the community when it is built. Hopefully sooner than later the government realizes it"s mistake of pulling funding. If not maybe the city will have to put up the missing cash, or even the feds?
If the city had the cash I am sure it would, but they have already been shorted by the province in 2008 budget.

I really can't see the federal government boosting it's contribution, based on the tri-partite Urban Development Agreement (Regina received an identical contribution, I wonder what their funding is going towards).

The provincial government should re-commit the funds. The project does not deserve to be scaled back or developed at a later date, construction should begin immediately because once completed this integrated projected will respond to immediate needs in the core neighborhoods.

I supported the Sask. Party during the last election, but now find myself questioning my decision...can we expect more of the same from the SP with respect to social development? I sure hope not; economic, social, and environmental interests are interrelated and dependent upon each other, we should not be jeopardizing the health of one interest for the sake of another (But the SP did not pull funds based on economic, social or environmental interests, withdrawing the funds was a politically motivated decision --> project location borders the ridings of NDP David Forbes/Lorne Calvert...an unwise move).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:17 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post

I supported the Sask. Party during the last election, but now find myself questioning my decision...can we expect more of the same from the SP with respect to social development? I sure hope not; economic, social, and environmental interests are interrelated and dependent upon each other, we should not be jeopardizing the health of one interest for the sake of another (But the SP did not pull funds based on economic, social or environmental interests, withdrawing the funds was a politically motivated decision --> project location borders the ridings of NDP David Forbes/Lorne Calvert...an unwise move).
Of course you can! Did you expect a rural based party to support the urban centres like the NDP? I said before the election, on this board, that anyone who was interrested in 'urbanism' should really not be hyping up the Sask Party. People expected big business to set up in Saskatchewan the day after the election, but I for one haven't seen much of a change in that regard. What I have seen is great projects like Station 20 having their funding being pulled with no explanation.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:24 AM
working stiff

Thousands gather to protest Station 20 West cuts
Danielle Mario, TheStarPhoenix.com
Published: Saturday, April 05, 2008

SASKATOON - The sidewalks around the block designated for Station 20 West were filled with a throng of people taking part in the largest demonstration in recent Saskatoon history.

Between 2,000 and 2,500 people gathered on the lot at the corner of 20th Street West and Avenue L on Saturday morning to protest the provincial government's recent decision to take back $8 million in funding for the development, which was to feature dental and medical clinics, public health and nutrition programs, and a co-op grocery store.

Demonstrators started trickling onto the empty lot at 9 a.m., and within the hour, the area was filled with people of all ages.

SASKATOON - Thousands of people gathered on Saturday to protest the provincial government's cutting funding for the Station 20 West project.
Richard Marjan/The StarPhoenix

Two young girls, wearing oversized T-shirts with "Say yes to Station 20 West" doodled on the backs, paraded among the large crowd. Many in attendance carried picket signs with similar statements.

Rachel Engler-Stinger was visible in her bright jacket and even brighter smile. She started the "Friends of Station 20 West" Facebook group after she saw an article in The StarPhoenix about the pulled funding last week. Many have credited the site for rallying the mass support of the project. She had the personal goal of getting 1,000 people to click and join the group in a week.

"But we had 1,400 in 24 hours," she said, adding that the group had nearly 4,200 members last time she checked.

Len Usiskin, manager of Quint Development Corp., the non-profit group which is trying to bring the vision of Station 20 West alive, said that the site had a lot to do with the support, but there was still word of mouth to make the event a success.

"There's a lot of people that don't even know about Facebook that are here today," he said.

The Raging Grannies - among those without their own Facebook group - sang to the tune of Frere Jacques at the demonstration, calling on Premier Brad Wall to "cough it up."

The activism group known as the Radical Cheerleaders also took part in the presentations, with similar messages chanted to the crowd.

No politicians spoke at the rally.

"It's not about politics. It's about the community," said Sheila Pocha, co-chair of the project's board of directors.

"I think that's the real problem. (The government) never met with us, and never saw our financial plan. It's sustainable, it's viable, and it makes a lot of sense. The government is telling us to go find an old church, or an old school, or an old Barry Hotel now."

Dr. Ryan Bayly, who also spoke at the rally, said that there was research conducted by the Saskatoon Health Region which concluded that residents of the core neighbourhoods are two-and-a-half times more likely to die in a given year than those living in more ideal conditions.

"We need to recognize how unfair that is," he said to the crowd. "The underlying attitude of this project is that the people in the community matter. They matter just as much as any other person in the province, and they're suffering more."

After the speakers, people bottle-necked from the lot to the sidewalk. The organizers weren't able to get a permit to walk on the street.

"We are worth it", "Build communities, not walls", and "Say yes to Station 20 West" were the messages bobbing down the sidewalk as the crowd stretched from the lot and around three corners of the city block in a seamless line of supporters. Cars honked and pedestrians heading in the other direction often joined the tide of people.

Faye Archer was standing on her stoop, watching protesters march down the street. She said she couldn't participate in the rally because of health reasons.

"I'm just so happy!" she said ecstatically, holding her hand over her heart.

"Someone's doing something for us and I'm just, I'm just so happy."

Before the walk began, an unnamed man on a bike echoed similar resolve when he took the mic from a speaker before the march began.

"When you're walking, all these signs - keep them high," he said. "Because they mean a lot to me and everybody in this community."

Usiskin said that he has received word that they might be given audience with the government sometime this week.

dmario@sp.canwest.com

Source

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:33 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Of course you can! Did you expect a rural based party to support the urban centres like the NDP? I said before the election, on this board, that anyone who was interrested in 'urbanism' should really not be hyping up the Sask Party. People expected big business to set up in Saskatchewan the day after the election, but I for one haven't seen much of a change in that regard. What I have seen is great projects like Station 20 having their funding being pulled with no explanation.
If it weren't for the urban centres the Sask. Party would not have been elected, the urban centers are the force that forms the government.

That is one of the reasons I voted for the Sask. Party, to change Saskatchewan's image (a symbolic siren), in hopes of encouraging more private industry growth/investment, of course growth will follow government policy as well (which was reasonable under the NDP, with a few minor sticking points).

If this project was going to be built in a strong Sask. Party riding, I am certain that the outcome would have been much different.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 4:01 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
What I have seen is great projects like Station 20 having their funding being pulled with no explanation.
Actually there were three explanations. Three lame and invalid explanations.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
That is one of the reasons I voted for the Sask. Party, to change Saskatchewan's image (a symbolic siren), in hopes of encouraging more private industry growth/investment, of course growth will follow government policy as well (which was reasonable under the NDP, with a few minor sticking points).
I know this is slightly off topic, but i'm just giving a few thoughts about "image" from a former sask resident now living in ontario.

It's true that Sask's image is a problem in terms of attracting people.

People where I live now tend to view SK as a bit of a backwater (that would be an understatement). But you'd be kidding yourselves if you thought that was because of the NDP.

The recent video of Tom Lukiwski and Brad Wall just cements an image of a backwater province that is intolerant and racist.
If this were an isolated incident, then perhaps one could dismiss it.
Sadly it follows stories of racism towards Natives and other minorities, as evidenced by stories of poor police relations with aboriginal communities. If that weren't enough, then there's the whole issue of negative comments by the FSIN's Ahenakew.

Because these politicians are in the national spotlight, they frame a perception of what people in SK are like. People here don't see everyday SK residents, but they catch soundbites from politicians like Lukiwski, Jim Pankiw, Maurice Vellacott - and it causes people to think the entire province thinks the same way.... especially when these folks get re-elected.

It's really a shame - because years of work in trying to promote a positive image of a province can quickly come undone - especially with the continual barrage of narrow-minded viewpoints expressed by many SK politicians (typically, but not exclusively, from the right of centre spectrum).

SK residents really should demand better from their politicians, and I'm truly at a loss why they don't, especially if the province wants to entice people to move there.

... again sorry for going off-topic, but IMO, SK still has a lot of work to do if it wants to improve its image, much more so than a simple change of govt will accomplish

Last edited by brannelford; Apr 6, 2008 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannelford View Post
I know this is slightly off topic, but i'm just giving a few thoughts about "image" from a former sask resident now living in ontario.

People where I live now tend to view SK as a bit of a backwater (that would be an understatement). But you'd be kidding yourselves if you thought that was because of the NDP.

The recent video of Tom Lukiwski and Brad Wall just cements an image of a backwater province that is intolerant and racist.
Sadly it follows stories of racism towards Natives and other minorities, as evidenced by stories of poor police relations with aboriginal communities. If that weren't enough, then there's the whole issue of negative comments by the FSIN's Ahenakew.

Because these politicians are in the national spotlight, they frame a perception of what people in SK are like. People here don't see everyday SK residents, but they catch soundbites from politicians like Lukiwski, Jim Pankiw, Maurice Vellacott - and it causes people to think the entire province thinks the same way.... especially when these folks get re-elected.

It's really a shame - because years of work in trying to promote a positive image of a province can quickly come undone - especially with the continual barrage of narrow-minded viewpoints expressed by many SK politicians (typically, but not exclusively, from the right of centre spectrum).

SK residents really should demand better from their politicians, and I'm truly at a loss why they don't, especially if the province wants to entice people to move there.

... again sorry for going off-topic, but IMO, SK still has a lot of work to do if it wants to improve its image, much more so than a simple change of govt will accomplish
Thank you for the perspective. I admit we have much more work to do with respect to our image, and especially so given our desire to attract more people to Saskatchewan.

However, I feel things are progressing, and with continuing media coverage of our public officials and consequent mass criticism, the shake-up of ignorant views can only continue.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannelford View Post

I must say that upon my move to BC, I experienced the same thing. I have also received some razzing from friends and workmates about the recent events with SK politicos. When I was in Regina, I worked against this type of discrimination. Yet, witnessed everyday. I guess the old saying, be careful what you wish for; you just might get it, might apply here.

As for Station 20, it is could to see the strong turn out in support of this project, and I hope that it will be completed. Regina city council would be wise to invest in a similar development in North Central in conjunction with the Urban reserve.

Just some observations from a former resident, looking in from the outside.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Look at this photo, looks like it could be somewhere in the old Soviet bloc, a place where the station 20 idea could have been formed and where it probably belongs. Someone tell those commie protesters that the NDP welfare state is over in SK and the province is now open for business!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

Look at this photo, looks like it could be somewhere in the old Soviet bloc, a place where the station 20 idea could have been formed and where it probably belongs. Someone tell those commie protesters that the NDP welfare state is over in SK and the province is now open for business!
Are you serious?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde View Post
Are you serious?
Ahhh, some video of him and his buddies doing or saying something ignorant is probably hanging around somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 3:01 AM
working stiff

Interesting response...

Station 20 rally won't change decision: Wall
Calvert says community feels robbed by own government
James Wood, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, April 08, 2008

REGINA -- Saturday's rally in support of the inner-city Station 20 West project that attracted more than 2,000 people won't change the Saskatchewan Party government's decision to pull its funding.

In question period, NDP Leader Lorne Calvert called on Premier Brad Wall "to listen to the voice of the people" and restore $8 million in government funding for the Saskatoon project, which is intended to centralize and expand health and social services for inner-city residents.

Wall said in the legislature he understood and respected "the sentiments that were expressed" at the rally.

"I think what those people want -- although they have certainly expressed it very specifically with Station 20 -- they want to make sure that core neighbourhood issues in the province of Saskatchewan are the highest priority for its government -- I can assure you . . . that is precisely the case," he said, citing funding increases for school lunch programs and community-based organizations in the recent provincial budget.

Speaking to reporters later, Health Minister Don McMorris said he and Wall would meet with organizers of the Station 20 project.

But he reaffirmed the decision to pull the facility's funding will stand.

In his comments in question period, Wall also said the government's efforts in the inner city meant, "we will focus our attention on St. Mary's School."

Calvert said he hoped that meant the government had reversed its wrongheaded decision not to provide funding in this year's budget to build a replacement for the crumbling and cramped community school located in Pleasant Hill.

A new school is a key part of a city-driven redevelopment plan for the neighbourhood and the lack of funding in the infrastructure-focused budget was a major disappointment to the Catholic school division.

Speaking later to reporters, Education Minister Ken Krawetz said nothing has changed in regards to St. Mary since the budget.

However, while the school was ranked 18th on the government's priority list, the Ministry of Education is "preparing an evaluation of all projects."

"New ones that boards have submitted over the course of the last eight, nine months and projects that are in the mix already. So St. Mary's is being re-evaluated in terms of how it will rank," said Krawetz.

Calvert told reporters the government's handling of these issues -- especially withdrawing funding earmarked for Station 20 West last year by the previous NDP government -- has hurt the Sask. Party government.

"Before the election, they were claiming to be sensitive to the needs of the inner city, they were very concerned about the health determinants of the inner city, they were claiming they wanted to work in close partnership with the CBOs and the community -- all of that now is deeply under question by this decision. Because the dollars for Station 20 were in the hands of the community, there is a sense in this community of having been robbed by their own government," he said.

Calvert said the protests and the discussions around Station 20 aren't finished.

The non-profit, multi-purpose facility was intended to centralize public services for residents by including a dental clinic, a relocated West Side Community Clinic and some public health programs for immunization, addictions and mental health. The Child Hunger and Education Program, Good Food Junction Co-op grocery store and Elizabeth Fry Society were also expected to join the centre.

jwood@sp.canwest.com

Source

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Someone tell Calvert that he lost the election and to crawl back into his hole, (oh, wait Cuba might be looking for new leader soon, Calvert's ideologies are about the same as Fidel's).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:31 PM
Pure Phase

rrskylar, you really are an incredibly bitter, delusional man aren't you? we do live in a democracy and that means that getting into power doesn't mean the party in power is suddenly a dictatorship that governs purely based on it's ideology....and I think the incredible public support that has been shown for Station 20 means, that no matter who is in power, it is a priorty for the residents of this city and province.

One of these days, I'll post a bit more on this, but I saw this fact sheet on station 20 and figured that it's worth adding to the topic to give a bit more background on the project...and re-enforce how good of a project it is and how ridiculous the Sask Party's handling of it has been.

Station 20 West Development Corporation
Fact Sheet

Purpose of Station 20 West

To improve the well-being of individuals and families in the core neighborhoods of Saskatoon.

The Importance of Station 20 West

A major study done by the Saskatoon Health Region in 2006 found that residents of the core neighborhoods had dramatically higher rates of a variety of health problems. It also demonstrated the link between low-income and health issues.

By bringing non-profit organizations together with larger institutions like the University Saskatchewan and the Saskatoon Health Region, Station 20 West intends to both provide integrated and expanded treatment services. It will also work to address the root causes of poverty.

Working together in a holistic way the co-locating partners intend to focus not only upon providing necessary services, but also upon things like food security, adequate housing, and access to employment and education, which the health study identified as playing a large role in health status.

Necessity of Infrastructure Investment

In order for the Station 20 West co-locating partners to be most effective, they need to be housed together, in a building designed to facilitate integration of services and the expansion of program activities.

The Westside Clinic, for example, is bursting at the seams and needs additional space for specialized programs such as pre-natal and immunization clinics, addiction treatment, and more.

The College of Dentistry requires proper space for equipment used to train dental students; and CHEP Good Food Inc. needs a proper kitchen to enable them to teach neighborhood women about cooking nutritious meals.

Governance Structure

The Station 20 West board is made up of five members each from CHEP and the Quint Development Corporation, the organizations which developed the project, and three additional members selected by the co-locating partners. The board makes decisions related to the overall purpose of Station 20 West, and decisions related to lease rates and building maintenance.

The co-locating partners, which have their own governance structure, make decisions regarding the actual programs and services to be provided by Station 20 West.

Co-locating Organizations

Organizations that will be co-locating into Station 20 West offices include:

• University of Saskatchewan - Dental Services Program, College of Dentistry
• Outreach Clinical Services, College of Medicine;
• Outreach and Engagement Centre Consortium;
• Saskatoon Community Clinic - Westside;
• Saskatoon Health Region;
• Heifer International;
• Elizabeth Fry Society;
• City of Saskatoon Community Development Services.
• CHEP Good Food;
• Quint Development Corporation; and
• Good Food Junction Co-op Food Store.

Community Base and Community Support

The Station 20 West initiative has been driven by the community. It grew out of year-long community forums which identified the need for better health services, housing and access to employment in the core neighborhoods.

It also grew out of the community’s distress at losing the last grocery store in the core neighborhoods. A community study indicated that there was a need for a food store. When no private business was willing to open a store the community formed a co-operative, which now has more than 200 members.
The Station 20 Board has community representatives on its board, including four aboriginal members.

As key drivers of the project, both CHEP and Quint are community-based organizations and have strong connections to the core neighborhood community associations, and with the community at large.

The Quint board is required to ensure that 75% of board comes from individuals living in the core neighborhoods. Both organizations work to ensure the participation of aboriginal people.

Involvement of the City of Saskatoon

Through the tri-partite Urban Development Agreement the City of Saskatoon provided the land for Station 20 West.

Government Funding

On Feb.23, 2007 the government of Saskatchewan provided $8million to Station 20 West out of the $100 million which had been allocated for inner city and northern development projects. This money was placed in a special Saskatoon Health Region trust account for Station 20 West.

Prudent Investment of Government Money

The $8 million provincial investment is currently targeted for infrastructure. Once constructed, Station 20 West will require no ongoing funding.

Building mortgage and maintenance costs will be covered by the rent paid to the facility, from the co-locating agencies. Lease rates for the space have been projected at $13.50/ sq foot, significantly less than the average Saskatoon downtown office lease rate, reducing lease costs to co-locating agencies.
Cost of Project

The project’s original Business Case called for a 3-story building with some development on a fourth floor. The projected cost was $12.6 million. As a result of Saskatoon’s increasing construction costs, in the fall of 2007, the Station 20 West board decided to reduce construction costs by altering the project to a three story building, with only two finished floors and a third shelled in. The modified structure has been priced at $11.5 million.

Cost of Terminating the Project

The AODBT architectural firm has been working on the Station 20 West project for one year. As a result, the building is essentially designed.

Approximately $200,000 has already been committed, and another $500-700,000 will need to be paid to break the contract with AODBT and with Dominion Construction, Construction Manager, for Station 20 West. This means that canceling the project will cost the province nearly $1 million.

Fund Raising

With cost of the project at $11.5 million, Station 20 West needs to raise $3.5 million. The project team has already received a commitment for a $1 million mortgage, leaving $2.5 million yet to be raised.

At the time that the Government of Saskatchewan decided not to proceed with the project, commitments of $1.25 million in financial support had already been obtained. With this in hand Station 20 West planned to launch a public campaign to raise the balance of the required funds in April 2008.

Environmentally Responsible

The design of the building includes many green features such as geothermal heating and cooling, natural ventilation, rain water retention, use of photovoltaic technology for water heating, a biowall, and more. The project is working to ensure Station 20 West will be a LEED™ Gold level certified building.

Government Actions

On Feb 25, 2008 Station 20 West responded in detail to a Jan. 25th Letter from Mr. Gren Smith-Windsor Acting Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Saskatchewan Health, in which he raised concerns about the viability and sustainability of the project.

On Mar. 3, the Station 20 West board received a follow-up letter from the Mr. Smith - Windsor in which he stated that “the viability and sustainability of the project is still under question”. The letter also indicated that the government would contact Station 20 West as soon as they were able to set up a meeting “to discuss the future of the project”. That meeting never took place.

On Mar. 20, 2008, the board received a letter from Mr. Gren Smith-Windsor stating that “the government of Saskatchewan will not be proceeding further with the project”.

What You Can Do
• Phone, fax, e-mail or write to the Premier, the Minister of Health and the government MLAs from Saskatoon.
• Write letters to the editor of your local newspaper.
• Phone in to open-line radio shows.
• Attend the 5 km. Community Walk for Station 20 West which is planned for April 5, and bring your friends. The walk will start at 10:00 a.m. at the Station 20 West site on 20th St. and Ave L.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 5:50 PM
BANNED

^ Get over the election loss, people will be stupid enough to elect the NDP in another 12 years. So the government owning and operating a grocery store that competes with private grocery stores is a good idea. The people in the former eastern bloc countries have found that capitalism and free enterprise is really the way too go, to bad so many in Saskatoon feel otherwise!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Get over the election loss, people will be stupid enough to elect the NDP in another 12 years. So the government owning and operating a grocery store that competes with private grocery stores is a good idea. The people in the former eastern bloc countries have found that capitalism and free enterprise is really the way too go, to bad so many in Saskatoon feel otherwise!
First off, the grocery wasn't going to be run as a crown enterprise, it was too be a co-op. Second, there are no grocery stores in the area. Thirdly, the eastern Europeans run mixed economies and any country that has run under pure capitalism or pure communism has failed. Lastly, the Cold War has been over for quite some time, now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 6:36 PM
Has been

You haven't been reading the facts here at all, have you Sipowitz. Nowhere has it ever been proposed that the government own and operate the grocery. And as far as democracy goes, Calvert won his seat in the last election, so I'm not sure why you think he should not represent his constituents. Stifling legitimate opposition sounds like something Castro would approve of.

edit : I see Moe beat me th the punch.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 7:13 PM
Pure Phase

yeah, it funny, but kindof sad, that it seems there are a lot people are reacting like rrskylar...that instead of taking 5 minutes to read through a fact sheet like I posted, are reacting to their paranoid assumption about Station 20.

i've heard some rumblings, that members of the sask party caucus have as much to admitted they knew very little about the project, other than it was given money just before the election, it's really too bad that some decisions get made that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan