HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:46 PM

Newflyer, let me help you with showing what your words were on the 1st page:

"In Calgary its cold and miserable in late April... 3rd day of snow and expected to get another big dump tonight... meanwhile Winnipeg is enjoying high teens and low 20's. The fact is spring hits Winnipeg in march.. and ussually warms up in April is a testament to our compatitively nice climate"

Now, I never said it doesn't snow in April (or May), but you write this crap like its just normal all the time.

Let me point out clearly what's wrong with it:

It reached 20c twice in April in the Peg...not 21c, but 20c. Twice. High-teens...3 times (over 17c). It's hit 20c zero times in May so far (possible exception might be today, the 14th).

Despite having a craptastic April (as you gladly pointed out...and, it was the worst cold streak in late-April in over 30 years BTW), it still reached over 20c once in Calgary, and the high-teens 4 times...yes, with a nice week of winter in between.

I also never said that Calgary gets more days of over 25c or 30c..ever (though, it does happen) - so not sure where that came from. It's no secret by the end of May, Winnipeg is warmer than Calgary by a couple degrees on average - so, if its 26 in Winnipeg, it might only be 23 in Calgary - oh well (but, on average, it would be more like 19 in Winnipeg to 16-17 in Calgary).

It's how you go off about snow/cold in April, but Spring is starting in MB in March!? (BTW - you also failed to notice it snowed in May in the Peg...on the 4th - and with a bitter -9c that night too).

Here's March this year - hardly looks like Spring (granted, I am pulling your tricks, and showing one bad year...it is a couple degrees below normal):

And here are the 1971-2000 averages (at the Airports)...you'll notice that under the column heading "Apr" (which, is April), Calgary shows 11.3 to Winnipeg's 10.3...so, yes, even if Calgary had a crappy April this year (which it partly did - about 4 degrees off "normal"), it still manages to be technically "warmer" (I mean that in the slightest way possible) than April in the Peg. Now, do I have to explain how averages work, or do you have that covered?

So - again...your "facts" on Page 1 had no business being in the thread, which is what I take exception to.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:33 AM
Movin' on up

Ok guys, you've all made good arguments and counterarguments, but can we please end this stupid Calgary vs. Winnipeg shit already? It's getting annoying, and I want this thread to stay on topic of how Winnipeggers view themselves. Perhaps this will somehow help the city's citizens regain some self-esteem. But this can't be done if all we talk about is Calgary this and Calgary that.

Really, I don't think anyone in the Winnipeg sections gives a rat's ass about Calgary's weather, so let's stick with Winnipeg, k?

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

^Fair enough...as you mentioned before about getting defensive - I feel the same way though (I've done it a LOT with Calgary, or Winnipeg). Defending Calgary's sometimes odd weather pattern to another ex-Winnipeger is a first though.

Anyway - you are right, and I'll drop this argument (for this year :-) - as long as Newflyer keeps his Calgary comments out of it too. Frankly, as long as it's nice there in two weekends, I'll be happy since I'll be there.

As for staying on topic...I don't have any further comments at this time. I'm going to have this discussion with my Winnipeg friends when I'm there and get their thoughts, since I am extremely interested in hearing others ideas on the subject.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 5:23 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Ok guys, you've all made good arguments and counterarguments, but can we please end this stupid Calgary vs. Winnipeg shit already? It's getting annoying, and I want this thread to stay on topic of how Winnipeggers view themselves. Perhaps this will somehow help the city's citizens regain some self-esteem. But this can't be done if all we talk about is Calgary this and Calgary that.

Really, I don't think anyone in the Winnipeg sections gives a rat's ass about Calgary's weather, so let's stick with Winnipeg, k?
OKay .. in the effort to make peace.. I completely regret making any comparison. Its just easy .. when I live in another city.

Lets focus and only focus on Winnipeg.

So Into the West .. when are you planning on your big move?

Last edited by newflyer; May 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:24 PM

^We're still only in the "talking about it" stage - but will start looking for places over the summer. If we do it, we'd likely have to wait for the real estate market to rebound a little here - since we just built a house (and would like to sell for at least what we paid). We're not in a huge rush as our son is not even 2, as long as we can do it before he starts school (just easier), but would like to in the next year.

My wife wants an acreage (she grew up in the country), and a nice one anywhere near Calgary is well over $1-2 million (some on real ugly land too)...she loves the areas north of Winnipeg, so that's where we'll look. I'll be looking when I go there next weekend to start getting an idea of price/quality - but we're already positive we can get an exceptionally built home within easy driving distance of the city for $500k or a little less.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^We're still only in the "talking about it" stage - but will start looking for places over the summer. If we do it, we'd likely have to wait for the real estate market to rebound a little here - since we just built a house (and would like to sell for at least what we paid). We're not in a huge rush as our son is not even 2, as long as we can do it before he starts school (just easier), but would like to in the next year.

My wife wants an acreage (she grew up in the country), and a nice one anywhere near Calgary is well over $1-2 million (some on real ugly land too)...she loves the areas north of Winnipeg, so that's where we'll look. I'll be looking when I go there next weekend to start getting an idea of price/quality - but we're already positive we can get an exceptionally built home within easy driving distance of the city for $500k or a little less.
What kind of work are you in? How's the job market?

You can get a palace for that kind of money here.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:36 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
What kind of work are you in? How's the job market?

You can get a palace for that kind of money here.
Flatlander is right, for $500 K you can pretty much live anywhere you like.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:17 AM

I'm in IT...my career started in Winnipeg, and I was back there (travelled) in 03-04 to work with a different client...so, I'm not worried about getting transferred or finding something, as I have many connections in several of Winnipeg's largest employers.

The timing will be everything, and for my wife's sake at least, just make sure that its absolutely the right thing to do...once leaving the market here, there's likely no coming back.

We've spotted a few in the $500k-600k range...we'd like to look at a little less (although, we're hopeful our place would fetch $550 here soon enough).

Several of my friends live in the River Heights area, and when we were there in Aug, I took my wife for a drive down Wellington (after dinner at 529)...she was shocked at how big/beautiful the houses were. When I found one on mls.ca not even a block from Wellington going for around $500 her jaw dropped :-)

But, the biggest reason to move would be for that acreage. She's not a city person, so as Calgary grows she likes it less.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Flatlander is right, for $500 K you can pretty much live anywhere you like.
You need to be careful in saying that. If he is looking north of the city, $500 k wont get you too much in the Birds Hill Area. You would need to look into the Oakbank area or out by Stonewall for an acre plus a house.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:12 PM

^And Stonewall wouldn't be too far, honestly. But, we'd likely look around the Bird's Hill Park area first (between there and Lockport).

When we were out last summer, my sister took us through the streets at Prichard Farm rd - though, they aren't really acreages, we were still surprised to see some going in that $400-600k range. That type of area is similar to Heritage Pointe just south of Calgary, and they sell for well over $1 million.

Anyhow, I think we'll be fine. The point is, here, we could go out as far as Turner Valley (a good 30 minutes to the city's southern edge), and still be at nearly $500k for just a few acres (no house). To the east/north/and south-east of Calgary, were ground is flatter, less trees, and definitely less desirable, we'd still barely get several acres for under $300k (no house) within a 45 minute commute to the city's edge.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:27 PM
What could go wrong?

In Pritchard Farm & Southlands i think you would realistically looking at starting at about $500. The newer lots are in the $125 to $150 range and i believe they are about a half acre. A 1700 sq ft bungalow by Maric or A&S etc will most likely come in at around $400. Then there is landscaping which if you have seen what most people do out there would set you back between $50 k plus.

We looked there a few years ago but found $600 a little to steep with little kids.

Oakbank has some nice similar style developments and the whole area in around Birds Hill park has some possibilities for nice properties.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 8:36 PM

My only comment is keep in mind $500k in Winnipeg is higher end, and you'll be paying higher end taxes. A $500k house in Calgary may only pay average taxes.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 9:03 PM
the first stamp is free

^ only within the city limits right? Taxes are somewhat cheaper in the bedroom communities.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 6:58 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
I'm in IT...my career started in Winnipeg, and I was back there (travelled) in 03-04 to work with a different client...so, I'm not worried about getting transferred or finding something, as I have many connections in several of Winnipeg's largest employers.

The timing will be everything, and for my wife's sake at least, just make sure that its absolutely the right thing to do...once leaving the market here, there's likely no coming back.

We've spotted a few in the $500k-600k range...we'd like to look at a little less (although, we're hopeful our place would fetch $550 here soon enough).

Several of my friends live in the River Heights area, and when we were there in Aug, I took my wife for a drive down Wellington (after dinner at 529)...she was shocked at how big/beautiful the houses were. When I found one on mls.ca not even a block from Wellington going for around $500 her jaw dropped :-)

But, the biggest reason to move would be for that acreage. She's not a city person, so as Calgary grows she likes it less.
I know country style living is important to you.

But for 500 K + you could probably easily live in Armstrong's Point or some other older posh neighbourhood around Assiniboine Park.

There's plenty of country out there, and you'd probably live in the home of some former grain tycoon.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I know country style living is important to you.

But for 500 K + you could probably easily live in Armstrong's Point or some other older posh neighbourhood around Assiniboine Park.

There's plenty of country out there, and you'd probably live in the home of some former grain tycoon.
Yeah, important to my wife mostly I was fine living downtown Calgary and downtown Van as well...heck, I can live anywhere and be happy with it I think.

But, I know the area, and she wouldn't be cool with that. She grew up with horses, etc (her entire family is in ranching, equestrian and rodeo)..so, we need at least 5 acres. We've scouted out a few on MLS, so we'll see what they look like.

Despite prices going up the past year or so, there are still fantastic deals in Winnipeg.

Flatlander - taxes are one of those things to factor in for sure. On an 1800 sq ft house in Calgary we paid about $1700 a year...in Okotoks on a 2200 sq ft, we'll pay about $2600. My sister's 1800 sq ft in Winnipeg, she'll fork out $4400 (I believe that's what she told me)...but, a 20-ish year old house on a much wider lot than what we have here.

Taxes should be about the same in the country from what I understand so far though...but, definitely will keep it in mind.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan