HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 5:41 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Thumbs down

A steaming pile of gods breakfast just shown in the last few proposals.....cmon. I knew Untitled Toronto would be an uninspired as it's premise is....****, I'm getting tired of new towers in Yonge and Eg.

(To get away from a rant....) I have better hopes that the proposal by St. Clair and Bathurst will become something a bit better then nearby condo projects, which are frankly bland and lacking....but it's not much hope. Also, the facademy in the Blue jays Way project looks brutal.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 6:06 AM

A few more renders and diagrams of the Squamish Nation’s development.

Going to really add to the big city feel having such larger towers finally jump to the south side of False Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Some new renderings at Daily Hive:

Source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/squa...-redevelopment

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 10:50 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Oh damn that is really good. I really hope the Squamish are successful in getting this built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:57 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Obviously you're right in that if there's an influx of new residents there's often a need for more or better infrastructure and facilities (assuming the area doesn't have an under-utilized surplus). But I'm not sure that's really a criticism specific to this project as it seems more like an issue with growth in general. Both the city and metro area are growing and the new residents will require services and infrastructure wherever they end up. Fortunately many of the things we consider to be amenities are not publicly funded (stuff like shops, restaurants, gyms, etc.) and the money the new residents will bring with them will enhance these. Even some public services are partially funded by user fees. And when the business of new residents allow more and better of these things to flourish, this also benefits existing residents.

But yes there are definitely downsides to growth and it's important to look at the complete picture.
I didn't go into specifics which allows for a broader context but, the densities being proposed not just by this development but, a half dozen developments exceed any community planning rationale except for there being a transit station. The city is not doing their part to at least secure a mix of uses and the supporting infrastructure that these tower proposals need. Instead, the expectation is on the surrounding communities (and distant employment centres.) That's appropriate for growth through intensification which is happening throughout the existing community. This will add significant population in a few blocks in vertical suburbia.

Planners adamantly refused the developer of the subdivision on the south side of the GO station to build at a reasonable higher density than the existing neighbourhood. Now, they are likely to allow a completely out of context community to be built on the north side.

A small, obscure example when context falls by the wayside. Where do you think the families in the tall towers will trick or treat on Halloween? Will they stay in their own community or inundate the Pleasantville to the south? IMO, they will inundate the community to the south through my own experiences of a line up outside my house and a $300 bill.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:02 PM
I am the law!

Re: Squamish

Materials have to be exceptional. In other words, curtain wall is a must. They aren't all the same pattern. I still find them too alike. Towers in park.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

Materials have to be exceptional. In other words, curtain wall is a must. They aren't all the same pattern. I still find them too alike. Towers in park.

It's Vancouver not Toronto, they tend to do a better job with materials then any city east of them. The updated design looks amazing, the original was a mess.

This doesn't look very structurally sound however.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 6:28 PM

Time to invest in vertical lawnmower tech.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
A steaming pile of gods breakfast just shown in the last few proposals.....cmon. I knew Untitled Toronto would be an uninspired as it's premise is....****, I'm getting tired of new towers in Yonge and Eg.

I think you meant "Dogs" not "Gods". I would imagine Gods breakfast to look amazing. This is a dogs breakfast.

source: giphy.com

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:17 AM
I am the law!

Vancouver's worst pales in comparison to Toronto's. There are some abysmal development throughout Canada. Nothing touches Toronto's mastery of the appalling. There are more and more developments ruined by spandrel and mullions in Vancouver. The facade needs to be top notch for Vancouver's standards. The facade needs to be up to Montreal's standards.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

Hard to tell from the renders but I'm hoping Westbank plans on using precast forms like their Butterfly project.

The Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:38 PM

Re: Squamish Nation

Unfortunately I think it might be those Aluminium composite panels, which could look budget-y with that design and colour scheme.

I wish they had opted for bolder colours like Terra Cotta, Exposed Wood, Deep Reds, Dark Green and other colours that are prevalent in Squamish art.

I agree I cant help but get a tower in the park feel from it, although there are elements of the design I like.

In a perfect world the plan would be revised to include some lo rise , retail (A mini Squamish-focused extension of Granville Island maybe?), courtyards and water features.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:47 AM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's local design firm MoDA was just awarded World Future Office Building of the Year - First Place - at the World Architecture Festival in Amsterdam. This comes on the heels of this project being named one of Architizer's "A+ Finalists" of 2019.

Here's a refresher on this one and its interiors...

Attabotics HQ - 35 meters - 7 floors

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:18 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Nice.
Is it going to get built ?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:13 AM
ARTchitecture

Almost certainly, it's the headquarters of a successful robotics company. We'll have to wait and see.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:10 PM

Wow this building is going to look great!

source: http://i.imgur.com/jqeidEph.jpg

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:50 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Almost certainly, it's the headquarters of a successful robotics company. We'll have to wait and see.
Based on what? It's an amazing building. I'd be proud for this building to be home to the end of the world. This company has the potential to be a world leader in NS-5 carpenters and chefs. As of now, it's entirely dependent on venture capture competing with a half dozen to a dozen "Skynet" labs around the world.

"we'll have to wait and see"

now, that's a fair statement!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Re: Squamish Nation

Unfortunately I think it might be those Aluminium composite panels, which could look budget-y with that design and colour scheme.

I wish they had opted for bolder colours like Terra Cotta, Exposed Wood, Deep Reds, Dark Green and other colours that are prevalent in Squamish art.

I agree I cant help but get a tower in the park feel from it, although there are elements of the design I like.

In a perfect world the plan would be revised to include some lo rise , retail (A mini Squamish-focused extension of Granville Island maybe?), courtyards and water features.
I feel the slight tower in the park feel comes from the excessive greenwashing of the image. The sheer number of towers on that tiny razor thin plot of land directly against the Burrard St. Bridge will eliminate any tower in the park feel.

Also I feel that in Canada the South Coast tower in the park isn’t as offensive as many other places due to often better designed / more lush landscaping.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:10 PM
I am the law!

I wonder how durable this is.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:44 PM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:44 PM

tallest one is 153m

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada