HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 5:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Health Sciences

Made a thread for all events related to HHS.

St. Peter’s Hospital, HHS announce merger

April 29, 2008
By WADE HEMSWORTH
The Hamilton Spectator

St. Peter’s Hospital is amalgamating with Hamilton Health Sciences in an effort to bring better care to Hamilton’s aging population.

The organizations announced their plan in a joint news conference Tuesday,  after their respective boards unanimously approved the merger.

No job losses are anticipated as a result of the amalgamation between St. Peter’s, which operates a 250-bed chronic-care hospital, and HHS, with  nearly 1,000 beds spread throughout sites in the city including McMaster, Chedoke, Henderson and Hamilton general sites.

The move has been planned quietly over the past several months  and is designed to create more seamless care for chronic-care patients — a group composed largely of seniors — whose care is largely shared between the two hospital organizations.

Today, 84 per cent of patients admitted to St. Peter’s from other hospitals come from HHS facilities, while  75 per cent of St. Peter’s patients requiring acute hospital care are treated at HHS facilities.

The goal of merging the two systems is to share knowledge, skills and experience to deliver more effective and efficient care.

The legal formalities of the amalgamation are expected to be complete this summer, and the merger is to take place gradually.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 11:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

PM's visit to General 'good news' for Hamilton

August 15, 2008
Wade Hemsworth; Fred Eisenberger
The Hamilton Spectator

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is planning to visit Hamilton Tuesday to make a funding announcement.

The Spectator has learned the PM is to make the announcement with Industry Minister Jim Prentice and local MPs at Hamilton General Hospital.

The prime minister's communications staff confirmed Harper would be visiting Hamilton Tuesday, but would not give details of what he will be doing, citing its practice of announcing his schedule only 24 hours in advance.

Several other sources confirmed they are making preparations for the hospital visit at 11 a.m.

Harper is expected to make a swing through southern Ontario early next week, with a stop in Mississauga Monday, before visiting Hamilton, Kitchener and London.

"We're aware that he's coming, and we're delighted that he is," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger. "An announcement in Hamilton should portend some good news for something in Hamilton, as well as potentially nationally."

Details of the funding announcement are not yet available, though the site of the announcement suggests it may be related to Hamilton Health Sciences, which has several major projects under way. They include two construction projects at the General itself: the 100,000 square foot Regional Rehabilitation Centre, and the David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute. That's a $90-million project that is to be home to the Population Health Research Institute and the Fraser Mustard Thrombosis Research Institute.

The mayor said he has not been briefed at all on the substance of the announcement, nor on the amount it might involve.

"That's not untypical for this government," he said. "They keep their cards very close to the vest, and if there's an announcement, they want to be sure they're announcing it and not someone else. I don't blame them for their approach and I appreciate the fact they're coming."

Meanwhile, the mayor himself has a scheduling conflict to resolve before the announcement.

He has already committed himself to attend a service commemorating the 66th anniversary of the raid on Dieppe during the Second World War -- a service that starts at 10:30 Tuesday morning at Dieppe Veterans' Memorial Park on Beach Boulevard.

The service commemorates the participation of 582 soldiers of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry in the raid, of whom 197 were killed and 174 taken prisoner. Of the 211 who returned to England, 109 were wounded.

Eisenberger has asked Harper's team to adjust the time of his visit to the hospital so he can greet the prime minister at the announcement after the service.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
PM's visit to General 'good news' for Hamilton

August 15, 2008
Wade Hemsworth; Fred Eisenberger
The Hamilton Spectator

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is planning to visit Hamilton Tuesday to make a funding announcement.

The Spectator has learned the PM is to make the announcement with Industry Minister Jim Prentice and local MPs at Hamilton General Hospital.
Funny that the mayor gets to share the byline on a front-page story. Online, at least. This arms race with Bratina has got to stop.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:37 PM
Closed account

Lol....he works for the Spec now.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 11:00 PM

Dieppe

It's good to see the mayor is prioritizing the Dieppe ceremony over a pre-campaign stop by the PM.

The bloody single day of WWII for the Canadians, the PM should be stopping there first.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Prime Minister to attend Dieppe memorial

August 18, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will attend the Dieppe memorial service in Hamilton tomorrow.

The leader’s office called local organizers this morning to confirm Harper will make a special appearance at 11 a.m. at the commemorative service at the Dieppe Veterans’ Memorial Park on Beach Boulevard. He plans to lay a wreath.

“I’m impressed. It’s a great honour,” said organizer Jim Forsyth. “The veterans will be impressed.”

Tomorrow marks the 66th anniversary of the raid on Dieppe during the Second World War.

Harper is in Hamilton tomorrow to make an announcement at the Hamilton General Hospital. Details of the 10 a.m. press conference have not be released.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger asked Harper to rearrange his schedule  in order to attend the Dieppe memorial.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 9:29 PM
Closed account

Stephan Harper shouldn't have been asked to attend the ceremony. In my opinion he should have chosen to attend the ceremony due to honouring the veterans on his own will.

A friend of my father's ended up in POW when he was taken at Dieppe. He did survive the war but has since passed on from natural causes many years later. He would only ever talk about when the war was over and was down to about 80 pounds when he was taken to England. It was visible to the naked eye that he was missing fingertips more then likely due to frostbite no doubt. Not sure I would want to talk about an experience like that either as I am sure it was total hell. Hence why we should always pay our respects to any veteran that fought in any war.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:11 AM
Closed account

I think it's awesome that he's doing this.
Once being informed that he was arriving in town for a press conference at the same time as the memorial service, he decided to re-arrange things.
Good for him and good for Hamilton. Dieppe Memorial Park should make the national news tomorrow night.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:13 AM

If you go back for many years this is one of the best PM's we have had for the Forces and vets. I have a picture of him standing next to my best friend in Afghanistan not a week after he was elected. It did not take him or his office long to decide to adjust his schedule after being reminded by our Mayor about the ceremony. Not to be tooooo political but he is in hot water for not flying to China for the games, but he is here at the RHLI & Dieppe momument. Looks like a guy interested in Canada. Remember vote NDP and fight for proper cellphone billing.
MsMe: I am a retired soldier from the Cold war era and my WWII uncle would never talk about the war and what he saw but he took it to an early grave, God bless them all....

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
MsMe: I am a retired soldier from the Cold war era and my WWII uncle would never talk about the war and what he saw but he took it to an early grave, God bless them all....
Amen to that Bornagainbiking.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:39 AM
Closed account

yup....I had relatives who would never talk about the war and had a tough time with everything.
I'll third that 'God bless them all'.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:22 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ottawa providing $35M for new cardiovascular research institute in Hamilton

HAMILTON — The federal government will contribute nearly $35 million to a new cardiovascular disease research institute based in Hamilton, Ont.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says the centre will attract cutting edge researchers to the southern Ontario city and cement Hamilton as a global centre of cardiovascular research.

Harper is making the announcement at Hamilton General Hospital during a three-day visit to Ontario.

The federal funding comes through the Canadian Foundation for Innovation for the institute, which is expected to cost a total of nearly $91 million.

Harper says it will house more than 500 researchers and staff and create 230 new jobs in the area, while also attracting top-shelf researchers from around the world.

Hamilton Health Sciences and other organizations will make up the difference.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

hehehe, it's better than that gay cowboy outfit.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

man, I love that building.
I'd love to see a 10-15 storey version built downtown sometime.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

hehehe, it's better than that gay cowboy outfit.
Do u mean this...

He's so emotionless it's creepy! Look at his ultra-forced smile in that HHS photo-op!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

No, this one!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:02 PM
Closed account

AAAAHAHAHA omg that's way worse!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 4:29 PM
Closed account

WOW!! Was that at a gay bar in the Calgary Stampede???
Awesome outfit!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:12 PM
On Guard For Thee

Excellent news, bad photos aside.

It's amazing to me how the media and the left-wing intelligentsia has invented this supposed infatuation on the part of Harper with GWB -- and the sad thing is that so many of my fellow Canadians buy into it -- it seems the only thing the anti-Conservative forces have that will stick is to play the old anti-Americanism card a la Diefenbaker, Trudeau and Chretien. It amuses/amazes/confounds me that people somehow feel the our PM shouldn't have a close working relationship with our largest trading partner and most strategic global ally.

The man has a family and is a foster-parent to homeless kittens--the "emotionless" label is worn-out and another 'invention'...let's be honest, with Trudeau in everyone's collective memory - anyone would seem emotionless.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 8:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

PM visits site of new Hamilton Health Sciences facility
19 August 2008
HAMILTON

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today visited the construction site of the new David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute at Hamilton Health Sciences.

“This is a made-in-Hamilton success story,” said the Prime Minister, “Doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in Hamilton saw a need to improve the quality of health care in their community. When this facility is complete, researchers will have the technology, space and support they need to develop new treatments and cures that will end up saving lives.”

When completed, the David Braley Institute will house two of the world’s leading research programs. The Population Health Research Institute will provide cutting edge research into the environmental and social forces that increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. The Henderson Research Centre will perform clinical trials on drugs and therapies that help fight strokes, blood clots and other vascular diseases.

“When completed, this institute will improve the quality of health care, not just locally, but throughout Canada and around the world,” said the Prime Minister. “Hamilton will become a world leader in finding innovative treatments for some of the world’s leading causes of death.”

The Prime Minister announced that the Government of Canada, through the Canadian Foundation for Innovation, will contribute $34.7 million to the $90.9 million estimated cost of the facility. Most of the funding for the new research centre is being raised by the local community.

“The local community did not wait for someone else to make this happen. Instead they rolled up their sleeves and got to work,” said the Prime Minister. “I want to congratulate David Braley and the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation for their leadership in making this new facility a reality.”

The new David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute is one of eight major health care research projects being funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation. Details of the other seven health care investments will be released in the near future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy