HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:54 PM

Where the Social Pass will be major is for high demand games like Banjo Bowl. Other than that it would be interesting to see what the uptake is.

Also keep in mind that since IGF opened seats were removed in the north end zone to make more standing room. This is likely just bringing the per event ticketed capacity back to where it was when the facility was built.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:12 PM

The uptake will be massive. I know a lot of people who have seats and never watch the game - TV for example.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:17 PM

That is just so weird to me. I get the appeal of having a drink or whatever, but buying a ticket and going to a football game just to socialize... what is the point?! Why not just save the 30, 40 or however many bucks and go to a nice patio instead?

But then again, we live in an age where it is normal for people to buy a ticket to a ballgame, snap a pile of selfies, and then just go home... https://t.co/Tuj2FU1Pl7

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 4:16 AM

Bob Irving Twitter
Blue Bombers will confirm next week that, after weeks of speculation, Green Bay and Oakland will play an NFL preseason game at IG field in late August.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Bob Irving Twitter
Blue Bombers will confirm next week that, after weeks of speculation, Green Bay and Oakland will play an NFL preseason game at IG field in late August.
Good to see this happening. The timings worked out for Winnipeg to get the game since the Bombers are away that week resulting in plenty of time to set up for the NFL game and then revert back to CFL. I support the decision in Regina not hold the game due to the 1 day turnover from the NFL game to a CFL game.

There are still people in Saskatchewan bemoaning the missed opportunity, but as noted above the timings just didn't work out. Hopefully Regina sends some people to Winnipeg to observe the process (I'm sure there will be hiccups, its inevitable) and pull it off for next year.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

There are still people in Saskatchewan bemoaning the missed opportunity, but as noted above the timings just didn't work out. Hopefully Regina sends some people to Winnipeg to observe the process (I'm sure there will be hiccups, its inevitable) and pull it off for next year.
I'm not sure why there would be a "next year" for this type of game? From what I've read on-line the Raiders are having this game in Canada only because of a one-time stadium scheduling clash in Oakland with the A's. Next year they will be in Vegas and don't have to travel. Has the NFL stated a desire to play every year in Canada?

I'm also uncertain as to why the NFL would necessarily care about returning to a tiny market like Regina next year. There is certainly no great profit in "growing the brand" there, and I'm sorry but realistically I think the "lure" of playing at Mosaic stadium is more local mythology than any great desire by a league that boasts billion-dollar stadiums among it's ownership.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:06 PM

I'm still a little puzzled as to why the Raiders would cross a border and come here to play their preseason game instead of just choosing one of the who knows how many 50,000+ seat college stadiums in the US that are much closer to home (with the proper field size and all), but from a Winnipeg standpoint it is a fairly unique event to host and it will put a few bucks in the pocket of the Bombers so I'm glad the Raiders are doing it.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm still a little puzzled as to why the Raiders would cross a border and come here to play their preseason game instead of just choosing one of the who knows how many 50,000+ seat college stadiums in the US that are much closer to home (with the proper field size and all), but from a Winnipeg standpoint it is a fairly unique event to host and it will put a few bucks in the pocket of the Bombers so I'm glad the Raiders are doing it.
Well said. Unless there is some kind of NFL strategy to base "x" number of games (pre-season and regular season) outside the U.S. it's kind of tough to see how it would benefit either club. Oh well, like you said it's going to be an interesting event!

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:44 PM

Bob Irving said any CFL team that hosts an NFL game should lose their franchise. Sad to see how out of touch Bob is.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Bob Irving said any CFL team that hosts an NFL game should lose their franchise. Sad to see how out of touch Bob is.
This sentiment still exists among some CFL fans, but I agree it is sadly out of date. While the CFL does try to compete for fan viewership in Canada, they are certainly not "rivals" in any realistic fashion, any more than, say, Toronto and Brandon are "rival" cities. IMO all this does is make the CFL look rather small and insecure.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:03 PM
arf

Quote:
I don't know. Marketing of the team to a CFL fan base makes some sense. I think any team would love to make Saskatchewan their defacto fans given our propensity for buying merchandise.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This sentiment still exists among some CFL fans, but I agree it is sadly out of date. While the CFL does try to compete for fan viewership in Canada, they are certainly not "rivals" in any realistic fashion, any more than, say, Toronto and Brandon are "rival" cities. IMO all this does is make the CFL look rather small and insecure.
Particularly when a CFL team stands to benefit directly from this event.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:53 PM

Reality of the CFL is they are effectively the AHL to the NFL being the NHL.

It isn't a secret that the top talent in football in all in the NFL unless there are non-football reasons (substance abuse, domestic violence, etc) that keep the players out or they are a young player that didn't attract enough attention to secure a spot with a team. The later of those groups won't be sticking around the CFL for long.

That said the CFL still puts on some entertaining games at times as long as "Fire" Joe Mack isn't your GM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:00 PM

^ CFL is much different than the AHL in one big way... callups. If you have a CFL rookie setting the world on fire, he will still be on the team for two years. Conversely, if some AHL player really starts to dominate, they are gone to the parent club at the first opportunity.

That separates the CFL from the true minor leagues/developmental leagues in a big way.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
^ CFL is much different than the AHL in one big way... callups. If you have a CFL rookie setting the world on fire, he will still be on the team for two years. Conversely, if some AHL player really starts to dominate, they are gone to the parent club at the first opportunity.

That separates the CFL from the true minor leagues/developmental leagues in a big way.
Plus the CFL’s rules mean that many highly talented players play here because they aren’t physically suited to playing the game under the NFL’s rules. The AHL comparison is not very accurate.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:21 PM

I just feel Bob is sticking to his guns because it's been his whole career. Like what's going to happen? CFL fans all of a sudden discover NFL football and stop watching CFL? That ship sailed long ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:32 PM

Bob Irving works for the worlds worst-run, worst-managed sports franchise (the Bombers) to pay his bills & feed his family. His bitterness is understandable.

#provemewrong

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
Bob Irving works for the worlds worst-run, worst-managed sports franchise (the Bombers) to pay his bills & feed his family. His bitterness is understandable.

#provemewrong
Only he doesn't work for the Bombers he works for CJOB.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:

Except the unwritten rule is if a player has a chance to go to NFL, you let them go. Look what happened with James Wilder Jr. – the Argos wouldn't release him to go play in the NFL, even though normally any team would have allowed that. They argued contractual obligations, but football teams can cut a player who is ON CONTRACT at any time, so why shouldn't it go both ways? General consensus in CFL offices was that it was a bad move by the Argos – it's hard to keep a young guy with a family making $60k when he has a change to go play for 10 times that.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Except the unwritten rule is if a player has a chance to go to NFL, you let them go. Look what happened with James Wilder Jr. – the Argos wouldn't release him to go play in the NFL, even though normally any team would have allowed that. They argued contractual obligations, but football teams can cut a player who is ON CONTRACT at any time, so why shouldn't it go both ways? General consensus in CFL offices was that it was a bad move by the Argos – it's hard to keep a young guy with a family making $60k when he has a change to go play for 10 times that.
James Wilder Jr came to mind when I was writing that post. But in the end he stayed and even signed an extension. And he's probably not alone among players who finished their contract term in the CFL despite standing a decent shot at landing a NFL job.

But really, the point is that in the AHL you don't know who is on a roster from one week to the next based on parent club needs. The CFL is much different in that regard, players are generally locked in for two years at a time, although in some circumstances it varies. What you don't get is Adam Bighill suddenly being called up to the Colts or whatever because of a week 5 injury there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan