HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:12 AM

was always a let down when I was a kid to not actually see the pasta being manufactured at the restaurant. FACTORY MY A**!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
was always a let down when I was a kid to not actually see the pasta being manufactured at the restaurant. FACTORY MY A**!
The pasta is all pre-made at a factory. I think it's bang-on.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I do know a couple years ago The Forks was exploring the idea of taking Muddy (“The Forks Pavillion”) back as public space.
That would be nice. If it happened, it's not like there would be a shortage of F&B options. I always thought it was kind of unfortunate that it was converted to a restaurant in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:28 AM

Quote:
The pasta is all pre-made at a factory. I think it's bang-on.
...and by the time it reaches your plate it’s “Old”

So yes bang on

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:09 PM

Further to recent discussions about Graham Ave cafes, I see the for lease sign is up at the Starbucks. Hard to believe that they'd close that location down... is a move to TNS in the offing? I wonder what would replace them... that location has had pretty strong tenants over the years. CIBC, Shoppers Drug Mart, Starbucks...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:33 PM

^^ The Shoppers wasn't really that strong a tenant there, the pharmacy that Shoppers took over was though.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Further to recent discussions about Graham Ave cafes, I see the for lease sign is up at the Starbucks. Hard to believe that they'd close that location down... is a move to TNS in the offing? I wonder what would replace them... that location has had pretty strong tenants over the years. CIBC, Shoppers Drug Mart, Starbucks...
Now that it's finally been determined that Second Cup isn't the one closing down

Last day of business is the end of September, apparently. Very strange that they would abandon that location.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 9:34 PM

I would hope they would not turn it into offices, everything around the central plaza should remain an animated retail space, not a boring office. I understand they are trying to find new revenue streams but i dont think offices really fit in with the mandate of The Forks.

Quote:
One of Forks' first restaurants shutting doors at end of month
Bill Redekop By: Bill Redekop

Posted: 09/6/2018 4:00 AM

Muddy Waters may not sound like an appetizing name for a restaurant, but it’s been a favourite at the junction of the two muddy rivers at The Forks for two decades.

The restaurant will close its doors at the end of the month.

The restaurant's owners do not plan to reopen Muddy Waters elsewhere. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press)</p>
The restaurant's owners do not plan to reopen Muddy Waters elsewhere. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press)

"It’s bittersweet for me. It’s 20 years of my life," said Doug Stephen, one of the partners of WOW Hospitality Concepts, which owns and operates the restaurant.

Muddy Waters was one of the first restaurants at The Forks. Branigans, now The Beachcomber Restaurant, preceded it.

"The building we are in was never intended to be a restaurant. It was a skate shelter. That’s why it had that huge fireplace in it and the floor was all rubber," Stephen said. "We pitched (to The Forks management) to do this barbecue restaurant at the time and they went for it."

Twenty years later, The Forks is going in a different direction — and that includes a stiff rent increase, Stephen said.

The Forks, said Stephen, wants to turn the restaurant space into professional offices for engineers or architects. Muddy Waters could stay for the three-and-a-half years left on its lease, but it would have to pay the equivalent of what The Forks could get renting the space as offices, he said.

"I think there’s a desire there to have most of food and beverage contained within the market or in the Johnston Terminal building," Stephen said.

Also, The Forks wanted a year-round rent, Stephen said. The rent negotiated 20 years ago was for a percentage of Muddy Waters business in winter and a base amount plus percentage in summer, he explained. The restaurant is largely seasonal, with seating for 60 inside and 220 when its two outdoor patios are in use.

The Forks has also brought in a new business model with shorter leases and more say in restaurant operations. "They wanted to make sure (a business) is staying current and that it is run by viable operators," Stephen said.

"So I said, ‘You know what? Give me until the end of September and let us go out in a fashion that says, ‘Thank you, Winnipeg.’"

Muddy Waters was a blues musician and Winnipeg means "muddy waters" in Cree, so the restaurant moniker was a natural at The Forks.

"It incorporated the music genre, it incorporated The Forks and it incorporated Winnipeg."

It started as Muddy Waters BBQ and Blues and blues musicians would perform there. The opening-night act 20 years ago was the Curtis Newton Band, which is being reassembled for a farewell and thank you to former employees on Sept. 24.

Stephen estimates about 2,500 people have worked at Muddy Waters.

Muddy Waters specialized in barbecue and comfort foods.

"Originally when we opened, we were ahead of our time," Stephen said. "It was Piedmont Barbecue Sauce from the Carolinas, the red barbecue sauce for ribs from Memphis, the dark, sweet, brown sugar barbecue sauce for brisket from Texas."

Muddy Waters won’t reopen elsewhere. WOW partners are looking at a restaurant concept of gourmet-style "smash" burgers and spiced-up fried chicken at a new site that can operate year-round at full capacity.

"It’s upsetting for myself and a lot of my staff but it’s the reality of the restaurant business, unfortunately," general manager Garth Blagden said of the closing.

There are about 10 restaurants at The Forks, including outlets in the food court, The Beachcomber, Old Spaghetti Factory and Pancake House.

bill.redekop@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...492571281.html

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:59 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if Starbucks has a plan up their sleeves. They also closed down the 201 Portage location, and just recently rolled out all new store concept designs on other markets.... wouldn’t be surprised for them to make some sort of splash here soon. Their DT locations should be their flagships here, but we’re worse than the average suburban ones.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 12:31 PM

Chicken Chef opening up on Portage Ave where Panago use to be. It'll probably be popular with the locals in the area and some UofW kids

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Chicken Chef opening up on Portage Ave where Panago use to be. It'll probably be popular with the locals in the area and some UofW kids
That's crazy, the iconic rural Manitoba restaurant opening a location right in West Broadway.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's crazy, the iconic rural Manitoba restaurant opening a location right in West Broadway.
I like the one on Marion. Good chicken.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if Starbucks has a plan up their sleeves. They also closed down the 201 Portage location, and just recently rolled out all new store concept designs on other markets.... wouldn’t be surprised for them to make some sort of splash here soon. Their DT locations should be their flagships here, but we’re worse than the average suburban ones.
For what it is worth, 201 Portage as a whole is doing a major renovation and that Starbucks was always super awkward although also super busy. Definitely far from their flagship status.

The Graham location was notable for trying to appeal to the Jets crowd when the team first returned but those plans never planned out in part due to the fire that gutted the place and shut it down for months. If I recall correctly that might have even been arson related.

In terms of Starbucks flagship locations, the Winnipeg flagship is clearly their River Ave location and has been for a number of years. You can tell as their flagship locations carry exclusive higher end beans.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Their lasagna is fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:17 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
Love the ' Chef!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
The one that just remodeled in the last month or so in Winnipeg Square is not their new format? I don't go into any Starbucks so I have no idea what they should look like from an old or new image format.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 5:25 PM

The style of the one at Outlet Collection is a small sample size of the new designs – new locations are also just being called "Starbucks" (removing "Coffee").

And yeah, River is definitely flagship, they had Kal Bartestki do some custom artwork in there. I was more just meaning that you'd think they'd want 1 or 2 flagships downtown as well. I'd be they'll go back in 201 when reno's are done, and I'm sure 201 will want them there.

--

In other news, turns out Pho Huong on Portage is opening – looks like it's ready to open any day now. Guess the Osborne one is just another location.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:18 PM

I Was At Polo Park Yesterday Looks Like Cultures Is Making Return Polo Park This Time Taking Over Former Jugo Juice

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
I'd be they'll go back in 201 when reno's are done, and I'm sure 201 will want them there.
I am not sure what happened between Starbucks and 201 Portage Ave but I think the split is not one that will heal anytime soon. My guess is one of the local hipster style coffee places opens in 201 once the lobby renovations are done.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:51 PM

Interesting, that’s be cool. Also a fortune. Also possible they may not want a coffee shop there competing with the new one they own downstairs in Mercatino.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan