HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:58 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I’m a chef and I’ve been to some of the chains mentioned above and honestly I can’t understand why people eat at these restaurants let alone want them in the city... the last time I was at the keg I spent $50 on a mediocre steak and a baked potato. That was 15 years ago and I haven’t been back. I can cook better at home lol. When I eat out I want the food to be the experience, not the decor or the hot server. Winnipeg has so many amazing local restaurants I don’t know why people eat at places like moxies or browns or Boston pizza, fuck, that place is awful, garbage food and they are everywhere. I’ll go to watt street bistro and get the most delicious wonton soup in the city. Or baraka bakery and have some amazing shawarma and falafels, I’ll go to super boys and get one of the best hamburgers on the planet.
Totally agreed. I can cook the same meal at home, for probably $10 with Superstore clearance steaks, a potato and some haphazardly cut peppers... if not less.

The only reason some people even go in Winnipeg, is just for the hot women (which is hard to come by, to begin with). It wouldn't surprise myself or Hectate, but you guys would be amazed and shocked, with the level of catcalling, ass-slapping, overall bullshit that happens towards the female servers of Winnipeg. They might make good money, but not every chain should be a copycat Hooters, with tits and ass galore... there needs to be an actual experience. Or like I said earlier in another thread: make it a place people actually WANT to be in. Make prices lower, not serving garbage, hiring security that isn't taking cash bribes under the table, or having more of a draw than just a bunch of Winnipeg 9's that are slowly turning into 8's, 7's and 6's... there needs to be something to make someone want to genuinely come back. And usually, thats experiences. But reasonable experiences, in most of Winnipeg's case, and not just the same cookie-cutter service of the rich and the wanna-be bourgeoise, which turns off the rest of blue-collar and lower-income Winnipeg.

Winnipeg has some good restaurants, and those always survive year-to-year. Mostly because you don't have corporate Hitler screaming about service times, nickel and diming things, or overall loyalty of customers... these cookie cutter chains are suffering. Especially out in Calgary - the taxes, minimal wage and loss of oil money is nearing some cookie cutters out of BUISNESS. Especially of the "casual dining" variety.

If the NDP come back after Pallister is done shitting all over my homeland, they're going to invoke $15 minimal wages, plus Winnipeg raising taxes thanks to chronic under-investment and NIMBY-ism towards progress, raised PST, tens of thousands out of work joining the Great Manitoba Welfare Collective... these cookie cutters are facing hell across the country, and Manitoba is the last bastion of profit, basically. If these cookie cutter chains don't change something soon - and Manitoba flips back to the NDP, unless everyone gets rich overnight or Pallister actually TRIES to do something for his own province (as opposed to doing it all for pina colada's on a foreign beach in the Carribean), they're finished.

Cookie cutters need to change across the board - not just in Winnipeg, across the entire board. And if anyone doesn't believe me, they need to look at examples such as Kelsey's, CanadInns, Original Joes and Moxies. The cookie-cutter fast food and elite dining (Hy's) will survive, but the rest of these chains? The signs are showing. And God help them, if Star Trek replicators ever become reality...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I’m a chef and I’ve been to some of the chains mentioned above and honestly I can’t understand why people eat at these restaurants let alone want them in the city... the last time I was at the keg I spent $50 on a mediocre steak and a baked potato. That was 15 years ago and I haven’t been back. I can cook better at home lol. When I eat out I want the food to be the experience, not the decor or the hot server. Winnipeg has so many amazing local restaurants I don’t know why people eat at places like moxies or browns or Boston pizza, fuck, that place is awful, garbage food and they are everywhere. I’ll go to watt street bistro and get the most delicious wonton soup in the city. Or baraka bakery and have some amazing shawarma and falafels, I’ll go to super boys and get one of the best hamburgers on the planet.
yes! to hell with chains ill enjoy my bj's and deer + almond any day of the week!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ill enjoy my bj's any day of the week!

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

supost to be VJ's woops

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:13 PM
What could go wrong?

What is so funny.....I enjoy Bj's any day of the week as well. Seems like a pretty fair assessment - doesn't happen of course, but....
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 12:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
What is so funny.....I enjoy Bj's any day of the week as well. Seems like a pretty fair assessment - doesn't happen of course, but....

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:55 AM

Hopefully the airport smartens up and allows developers to build 20+story residential buildings on the old stadium site. This will no doubt result in an explosion of additional retail outlets in the Polo Park area and the accompanying good-paying retail jobs to go along with it....and that massive influx of cash will finall persuade Cactus Club to expand to Winnipeg. Armorand93s around the world will rejoice!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 2:20 AM

The MLCC location at True North Square is open, while the cityPlace location is now closed.

However the new location does not have any of the new security measures

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
[/B]
Surprised Local came to Winnipeg, though. Is it at least a decent size & of a decent decoration?
It took over the former The Pint space downtown. Pint invested a ton of money combining two old buildings into one space. Local did some fairly substantial renovations to make it a lot brighter and nice. It's a little more upscale (still pub-feel) on the main floor, upstairs is more relaxed with games.

Lots of people have been complaining as they don't allow people to stand – "you must have a seat." Really sharp contrast to The Pint that was packed to the roof and always a party atmosphere.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
The MLCC location at True North Square is open, while the cityPlace location is now closed.

I wonder how their sales will fare? They are in a really out of the way location, on a dead end branch of the skywalk. I'm sure it'll improve greatly once the skywalk link to RBCCC is completed, but it could be tough sledding for the next year or two until that happens.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:48 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:43 AM

Is it comparable in size to the old cityplace one? ie: really tiny and undersized.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post

While it's a bit crazy they didn't design it with any security measures in mind, maybe it being so out of the way will reduce the likelyhood of issues.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder how their sales will fare? They are in a really out of the way location, on a dead end branch of the skywalk. I'm sure it'll improve greatly once the skywalk link to RBCCC is completed, but it could be tough sledding for the next year or two until that happens.
The TNS Liquor Mart is going to be a dead end for a long time. It is likely at the connection point for the eventual Wawanesa bridge but it will be well outside any other traveled path.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think liquor stores rely on foot traffic for most of their sales. Generally when people want to buy liquor, they go find a liquor store.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The TNS Liquor Mart is going to be a dead end for a long time. It is likely at the connection point for the eventual Wawanesa bridge but it will be well outside any other traveled path.
It will connect to Sutton Place and on to the convention centre as the "main" corridor. Wawanesa appears to be an offshoot. But ya there won't be any traffic for a couple years until Sutton Place is done. But then, there should be reasonable traffic through there. If you want to go to the LC, it wont be out of the way in terms of skywalk travels.

Re: security measures. There are many other locations that are much easier to get to than that one for robberies.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 7:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a View Post
While it's a bit crazy they didn't design it with any security measures in mind, maybe it being so out of the way will reduce the likelyhood of issues.
It was already under construction at the time of the new entrance protocol. It also, is not in any of the LC New Entrance Safety packages.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is it comparable in size to the old cityplace one? ie: really tiny and undersized.
1000 sq. ft. larger than cityplace location, but the windows on north and west walls likely create less actual shelving space. Plus it has a much larger back loading cooler than cp location did.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:40 AM

One thing I don't remember ever getting touched on here is that TNSE announced they will be moving their offices out of the Powerhouse building and taking all the office space in 223 Carlton. Move will happen this summer.

With Tavern United's days seeming numbered... I wonder if we could see a big change to the Powerhouse building in the coming years.

https://www.tnse.com/news/true-north...-north-square/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
One thing I don't remember ever getting touched on here is that TNSE announced they will be moving their offices out of the Powerhouse building and taking all the office space in 223 Carlton. Move will happen this summer.

With Tavern United's days seeming numbered... I wonder if we could see a big change to the Powerhouse building in the coming years.

https://www.tnse.com/news/true-north...-north-square/
Interesting. I don't seem to remember hearing about that. I always found it a little hard to believe that TNSE could run its entire operation out of that tiny space in Powerhouse, so this move makes sense.

I wonder what that means for the Powerhouse? CTV isn't getting any bigger and Tavern is very tired compared to its neighbours. With news about TNSE's space being vacated I wonder if we could see a major redevelopment there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan