HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Keep deluding yourself. Perhaps you are Robert?
Busted. Yes, of course. I'm Robert. I've come on here to promote my own articles.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Because that has never been attempted?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:35 AM

Jesus guys take a breather... If your going to have an argument between yourselves that doesn't add anything to the discussion consider private messages?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:39 AM
BANNED

You are right, sorry.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 12:48 PM

To the posters involved yesterday in the fascinating but pointless bickering match going on in this thread and others...

It Stops now. Consider this a heads up and a warning to cease and desist. I really don't want to lose posters over this. Lets try to get along.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Rgalston aww if it is u I will have to close this account it's in violation of rules u can't have multiple accounts..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 4:43 PM

The top photo is from the 14th floor of 240 Stradbrook. This is the view that Waterfront Drive and the Forks lands should have in addition to being a great walkable TOD community,, and below is what it will mostly be like, the view of another 6 floor building across the street.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHpXLVPA...-by=earlmartin

Limiting the whole community to 6 floors is so disappointing to me because the original renders did show some tall buildings. Winnipeg is not an earthquake zone,, I really see no reason to have zero tall buildings. 6 floor max in a planned downtown community? The Forks is going to look like that Bridge Water town centre.

Can someone shoot some drone footage showing the potential views of various heights on Railside and Parcel 4?

Last edited by eman; Jul 10, 2016 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:28 PM
BANNED

The removal of taller towers from the plan has nothing to do with stability or safety. The argument is low rise structures create pedestrian friendly streetscapes. It is that simple. IMO, at least one 12 storey building acting as an anchor, clustered by smaller buildings, would be ideal. A scaled down version of this:

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/

Last edited by Urban recluse; Jul 10, 2016 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
The removal of taller towers from the plan has nothing to do with stability or safety. The argument is low rise structures create pedestrian friendly streetscapes. It is that simple. IMO, at least one 12 storey building acting as an anchor, clustered by smaller buildings, would be ideal.
I think they can deliver both, a few tall buildings as part of walkable TOD at an iconic location. Otherwise its a suburban town centre like Bridgewater.

The photo you show above is almost right. The towers are too close and should be more slender. Maybe just 2 slender towers on that block among the 6 floor buildings filling up the rest of the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKk3M8240mI

Last edited by eman; Jul 10, 2016 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 10:21 PM

Making the railside and and parcel 4 a success should be easy with smaller buildings. Just copy a place that works. I nominate stealing a chunk of Gracia in Barcelona real quick, before they notice it's gone. That neighborhood is pretty much perfect.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...39!4d2.1734035

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 10:39 PM
BANNED

I wish Biguc. If it could look like Beacon Hill in Boston, I would be thrilled; it could of course, with the right designs and a lot of brick.

As long as it is dense, with very narrow streets, stellar designs, and the buildings do not look like the Alt or H20, let's get 'er done.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Making the railside and and parcel 4 a success should be easy with smaller buildings. Just copy a place that works. I nominate stealing a chunk of Gracia in Barcelona real quick, before they notice it's gone. That neighborhood is pretty much perfect.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...39!4d2.1734035
Right, Barcelonism will work in Winnipeg. Not. That part of Barcelona is totally land locked, The Forks is an icon waterfront, gathering place with views worthy of having and not squandered on short buildings. I could't disagree more. I still think is possible to have few towers in the mix.

Actually, the best place for Barcelona inspired design in Winnipeg would be the land locked CPR rail yards.

Last edited by eman; Jul 10, 2016 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:11 PM

Ok, Borat. Try Barceloneta, then, Barcelona's iconic waterfront neighborhood.

Quote:
I wish Biguc. If it could look like Beacon Hill in Boston, I would be thrilled; it could of course, with the right designs and a lot of brick.

As long as it is dense, with very narrow streets, stellar designs, and the buildings do not look like the Alt or H20, let's get 'er done.

Exactly. Very narrow streets and very high density are key to making this work, as well as mixed use ground floors wherever builders want them. I honestly don't think individual building design is that important when you start getting an urban tapestry so fine, but H20 wouldn't fly--that building belongs in the suburbs. I'm also pretty sure building stick framed buildings like H20 in the kind of close-knit neighborhood we're talking about would be a fire hazard and wildly illegal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Very narrow streets and very high density are key to making this work, as well as mixed use ground floors wherever builders want them. I honestly don't think individual building design is that important when you start getting an urban tapestry so fine, but H20 wouldn't fly--that building belongs in the suburbs. I'm also pretty sure building stick framed buildings like H20 in the kind of close-knit neighborhood we're talking about would be a fire hazard and wildly illegal.
I'd actually suspected that the 6 floor limit was to encourage less expensive, wood frame builds in order to increase the accessibility of the site, cost-wise.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I was on the design team...I can tell you without any hesitation, the 6 storey limit is to increase density, diversity, affordability and street activity...anything above six and you lose connection to the sidewalk.

the goal is to create a healthy urban neighbourhood and that is done with 6 storey and under buildings, not towers....

towers create a homogenous resident...rich people....because they are expensive to build and require high rents or sales costs to make work.

the pitfall of going after a 'target market' can be seen with waterfront drive....a thousand wealthy retirees is not a neighbourhood.....that's why it is a failure....a mixture of small buildings with all types of residents...that's a neighbourhood.
missed this - very interesting and great points tv. Can't say I disagree, though I don't know much about this stuff. I look forward to seeing the final proposals and I have no doubt yours and others' hard work on this project will create something special

--

re: the towers; I think the allure of towers can overshadow the realities of what makes a good public space, and many posters have chimed in with many great points over these last few pages - even if some of them are opposing viewpoints. Winnipeg has other parts of downtown that could be better suited to tower construction.

I'm sure we can all agree that anything resembling the initial study will be infinitely better than a water park hotel or 2 massive empty dreary parking lots

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I'm sure we can all agree that anything resembling the initial study will be infinitely better than a water park hotel or 2 massive empty dreary parking lots
Hear hear. Under Katz's guidance and "vision" we can disturbingly close to having one of these plunked down on Parcel 4, no doubt surrounded by acres of convenient surface parking.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 4:52 PM

^^ I actually saw a Canalta hotel and "waterpark" this weekend and was thinking how Winnipeg dodged a mess with that on Parcel 4. Seriously if providing site plans and some renderings of what your project will look like is too costly to get the approval needed then clearly it was not the right fit.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 7:20 PM
BANNED

It would have had to been a design contrary to what the company's portfolio consists of.

The current plan is no doubt far superior, and is what should be developed on other vacant pockets of land downtown and around it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:40 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ I actually saw a Canalta hotel and "waterpark" this weekend and was thinking how Winnipeg dodged a mess with that on Parcel 4. Seriously if providing site plans and some renderings of what your project will look like is too costly to get the approval needed then clearly it was not the right fit.
Haven't dodged it yet...city still owns the property.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 8:41 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Very narrow streets and very high density are key to making this work, as well as mixed use ground floors wherever builders want them. I honestly don't think individual building design is that important when you start getting an urban tapestry so fine.
agreed 100%.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan