HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Sorry, no brick/stone (real stone, not prairie stone or that glue-on shit) is the heaviest. Certainly orders of magnitude heavier than stucco, wood siding, the pre-finished wood/vinyl/cement board siding etc.
And yes it is more complicated.
Sorry no, but vinyl, stucco and other cheap materials are indeed lighter, but they are not great design. In fact, they aren't even options for that neighborhood. I never said pre finished wood wasn't lighter, it's just that brick, stone, glass, concrete are standard finishes on condo and other commercial buildings. I think vinyl is for super cheap construction in the suburbs. I can't believe you're even suggesting it. You want to sell wood buildings with fake wood siding, in a historical district downtown. That's insane.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 10:26 PM
BANNED

We need plenty of high end homes in this area; the higher the incomes, the more businesses will be attracted to the vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
We need plenty of high end homes in this area; the higher the incomes, the more businesses will be attracted to the vicinity.
majority of Waterfront drive is "high end" condo's and I don't see a lot of business swarming around them

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
You can definitely build downtown without government money.
name one downtown project that has been built without government support in the last 20 years.

residential in particular is impossible. Not a single unit has been built in downtown over the last 10 years without a TIFF....all the proposed projects right now are getting grants.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
majority of Waterfront drive is "high end" condo's and I don't see a lot of business swarming around them
Waterfront is a start but I wouldn't call them "high end," more mid level. And there are lots of businesses and restaurants emerging in that area, plus obviously most really big firms are downtown for work. Winnipeg has a major shortage of mid to higher end condos in the whole city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
They are a...good start, but it all comes down to critical mass.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
name one downtown project that has been built without government support in the last 20 years.

residential in particular is impossible. Not a single unit has been built in downtown over the last 10 years without a TIFF....all the proposed projects right now are getting grants.
I would like to think this location would not need TIF. TIF should be utilized in areas which are blighted, which covers many parts of downtown, but I would say the Forks is not one of them.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:54 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I would like to think this location would not need TIF. TIF should be utilized in areas which are blighted, which covers many parts of downtown, but I would say the Forks is not one of them.
I am being a little tongue-in-cheek here but there are few higher profile "blighted" locations in downtown than the 2 massive gravel surface parking wastelands across from the City's crown jewel - The Forks.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 2:56 PM
surely you agree with me

TIF is being used to build the public space, not as a specific grant to developers....remains to be seen if the rents/sales have a high enough premium at the forks to make the economics work....let's hope so.

for other residential development in the downtown, the TIF is their profit...without it the projects are not profitable....so is being at the forks worth $30-$40,000 more per unit than elsewhere downtown?...that's generally what the subsidy has been.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I am being a little tongue-in-cheek here but there are few higher profile "blighted" locations in downtown than the 2 massive gravel surface parking wastelands across from the City's crown jewel - The Forks.
But it will be much, much easier attracting people (especially those who could afford to pay higher asking prices for the units in the buildings many of us want to see constructed of brick, etc) to live here than Princess & Logan, Argyle & Heaton, George Street, or the plethora of other areas around the downtown needing revitalization and density.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
But it will be much, much easier attracting people (especially those who could afford to pay higher asking prices for the units in the buildings many of us want to see constructed of brick, etc) to live here than Princess & Logan, Argyle & Heaton, George Street, or the plethora of other areas around the downtown needing revitalization and density.
I wonder who the target market for The Forks will be? I'm thinking that hardcore urbanistas might be more interested in established urban neighbourhoods like the Exchange District/Waterfront Drive (for the downtown feel) or Osborne Village (for the urban neighbourhood feel).

The Forks is kind of an odd duck in that it's at the heart of the city but it still feels somewhat set apart from the rest of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:09 PM

One of the goals is to better integrate the new neighbourhood with the rest of downtown west of the tracks. By utilizing the union station access point and creating new, hip, urban access points elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:16 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder who the target market for The Forks will be? I'm thinking that hardcore urbanistas might be more interested in established urban neighbourhoods like the Exchange District/Waterfront Drive (for the downtown feel) or Osborne Village (for the urban neighbourhood feel).

The Forks is kind of an odd duck in that it's at the heart of the city but it still feels somewhat set apart from the rest of downtown.
target market is diversity...part of the reason smaller buildings was attractive....can offer a variation in rents...hope is for everything from affordable to student to high end.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:39 PM

^ any idea, when we'll see the first projects begin moving forward, 2 years? longer..

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:41 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
Sorry no, but vinyl, stucco and other cheap materials are indeed lighter, but they are not great design. In fact, they aren't even options for that neighborhood. I never said pre finished wood wasn't lighter, it's just that brick, stone, glass, concrete are standard finishes on condo and other commercial buildings. I think vinyl is for super cheap construction in the suburbs. I can't believe you're even suggesting it. You want to sell wood buildings with fake wood siding, in a historical district downtown. That's insane.
I am not suggesting using it - just suggesting demanding high price finishes on what are likely shoe-string budgets means the developers will need to reimbursed somehow. I.e. public money. That's it. Pretty costs money. Trust me, I want brick too.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:43 PM

IMO, if we're subsidizing any developments, it should be this one. Putting up some crappy buildings at the Forks would be such an embarrassment. What's supposed to be a national and international attraction, having rinky dink cheap buildings is not right.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am not suggesting using it - just suggesting demanding high price finishes on what are likely shoe-string budgets means the developers will need to reimbursed somehow. I.e. public money. That's it. Pretty costs money. Trust me, I want brick too.
Glad we agree on that. The developer makes money selling the units, the budget coincides with the scope of the project. Who said they are shoestring budgets? If you're planning on building a higher-end building, the units will be priced accordingly. Can you name a residential (market) condo building recently that was built with public money? That sounds insane.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
TIF is being used to build the public space, not as a specific grant to developers....remains to be seen if the rents/sales have a high enough premium at the forks to make the economics work....let's hope so.

for other residential development in the downtown, the TIF is their profit...without it the projects are not profitable....so is being at the forks worth $30-$40,000 more per unit than elsewhere downtown?...that's generally what the subsidy has been.
Did Dcondo receive public money? SkyCity? Any general market condos recently?

Prices for units depends on location, fit and finish, features and amenities. Concrete construction, high ceilings, nice finishing's and appliances garner more money on the market.

TIF can be utilized but is not a profit center, shouldn't be anyway.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:56 PM

Reg: residential incentives. This is not new information but worth a look to understand how much public money is being used to created incentives for developers, more than most realize..

https://www.ida-downtown.org/eweb/do...treVenture.pdf

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Reg: residential incentives. This is not new information but worth a look to understand how much public money is being used to created incentives for developers, more than most realize..

https://www.ida-downtown.org/eweb/do...treVenture.pdf
Ya, TIF is a deferral program but developers can build whatever product level they want. There was an assumption by others that there was a "shoestring budget" for projects at the Forks and you can't build without public money which are both untrue and unfounded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan