HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 9:39 PM

For what it's worth, CV did a good job 10-15 years ago back when its mandate was selling and promoting development on city-owned surplus land. Then they morphed into a secondary planning and development department, and things kind of went off the rails.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
But if we get rid of CentreVenture what will we model our transportation corridor arms-length development corporation after?
Here's my favorite little ditty from the hansard extolling the virtues of a potential TDA:

[Clears throat]

"AND WHEREAS the CentreVenture model has served the City well in being able to facilitate and encourage redevelopment and renewal of Downtown Winnipeg for over 10 years, including the creation of a land bank with all surplus city land in the downtown being seeded to CentreVenture;"

[casually banging index fingers on desk while reading]
[dramatically leans forward, eyes wide open in complete disbelief]

You've gotta be kidding me.

This is a pretty generous interpretation of what CentreVenture has been able to accomplish given its tools and mandate. Especially in light of its current financial position.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:55 PM

Lots of action at the Pump House over the last few days - people coming and going at all hours, and not just hipsters with tripods either. It's been nearly a year since CV told me something would be happening "really soon" with the property, which means they're playing pretty fast and loose with the term "really soon", but good to see some activity anyway.

They also leveled the gravel pad in front of the building earlier in the summer. I had high hopes they would at least toss down some sod, but nope - just a flatter weed/gravel patch.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:08 PM

^ There have been so many false starts with the Pumping Station that I'll believe something is happening when I see it.

(Fortunately, it may not be that long until we see something... I thought the Harbourmaster building across the street was going to sit around forever awaiting redevelopment, but then one day it finally happened...)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There have been so many false starts with the Pumping Station that I'll believe something is happening when I see it.

(Fortunately, it may not be that long until we see something... I thought the Harbourmaster building across the street was going to sit around forever awaiting redevelopment, but then one day it finally happened...)
I hope SOMETHING does happen but I just can't imagine what without a TON of public money. No developer will just turn that main floor into the museum and build something on top just to be nice. If the city wants to keep it, they almost have to designate in some sort of historical site and hope to get/give funding to make it a public showpiece. They really should have built the firefighting museum here instead of in the middle of a cloverleaf by Polo.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I hope SOMETHING does happen but I just can't imagine what without a TON of public money. No developer will just turn that main floor into the museum and build something on top just to be nice. If the city wants to keep it, they almost have to designate in some sort of historical site and hope to get/give funding to make it a public showpiece. They really should have built the firefighting museum here instead of in the middle of a cloverleaf by Polo.
The middle of the clover leaf is a fire station not a museum....

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Fireman museum is near Higgins and Main.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Fireman museum is near Higgins and Main.
Oh you're right my bad. It was built to house the new museum but they bungled something up in the design and had to cancel those plans. IIRC it had something to do with parking?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan