HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: In 2021, the CMA population for Winnipeg will be:
less than 825,000 5 6.58%
825,000-849,999 16 21.05%
850,000-874,999 31 40.79%
over 875,000 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:41 PM

^ Not sure what population figures you used for the 10 year period 1899-1909. Census years are the years ending in "1", though the Prairie Provinces got special censuses in 1906, 1916 and 1926. The Henderson's directory gives Winnipeg's population as 49,000 for 1899, but as is typical for the time that figure is too enthusiastic. I have an 1884 map of Winnipeg that gives the population as 30,000, a figure that wouldn't be reached until into the 1890s.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^ Not sure what population figures you used for the 10 year period 1899-1909. Census years are the years ending in "1", though the Prairie Provinces got special censuses in 1906, 1916 and 1926. The Henderson's directory gives Winnipeg's population as 49,000 for 1899, but as is typical for the time that figure is too enthusiastic. I have an 1884 map of Winnipeg that gives the population as 30,000, a figure that wouldn't be reached until into the 1890s.
I use a model developed with data derived from the census years, provincial data, and assumptions about census under counts (which won't be significant in the early years). It mostly involves linear interpolation between census years until the data gets better around the 1990's.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:50 PM
jammon member

Quote:
^ Starting to pull away from Quebec City and now solidly in 7th.

Surprising too that for 2014-18 Winnipeg (7.14%) outgrew Vancouver (5.67%) and was virtually tied with Calgary (7.16%) in population growth. Wow, Thunder Bay has had close to the same population for around 50 years, it was still bigger than Saskatoon as late as the 1961 census.

At this rate the population should hit the million mark by 2029 or 2030. I wonder if the Perimeter will still have traffic lights? Better add one at Gunn Rd., it's very smart to force trucks to come to a stop from 100-110 km/h. I wonder how far along Winnipeg will be in terms of implementing driverless technology?

The stats still show Winnipeg as an affordable city overall. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...country=Canada

I think the issue is that cost of living is also highly variable with a lot of moving parts. But the reality always comes down to minimum wage. It is much easier to live on your own in a city like Winnipeg making minimum wage than it is in a city like Calgary, Toronto or Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
The stats still show Winnipeg as an affordable city overall. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...country=Canada

I think the issue is that cost of living is also highly variable with a lot of moving parts. But the reality always comes down to minimum wage. It is much easier to live on your own in a city like Winnipeg making minimum wage than it is in a city like Calgary, Toronto or Vancouver.
I don't know if that's true or not. Minimum wage is $15.00 in Alberta, $14.00 in Ontario, $12.65 in B.C. and $11.35 here. Alberta has no PST and in B.C. the climate (most esp. in the Lower Mainland and on the Island) is so much milder that you save money on clothing and transport as you can walk and cycle a lot more. Provincial income tax rates in B.C. for a minimum wage earner are less than half those in Manitoba. For people earning less than $30,000 Manitoba has the second highest income tax rate in Canada next to Quebec. Also, food is cheaper in B.C., produce for certain and many restaurants as well esp East and South Asian cuisines. In the Lower Mainland rents are ridiculous in Downtown Van and Kits, but there are still some deals to be found elsewhere. According to my friend, rents in Edmonton are cheaper than in Winnipeg. For Toronto, my guess is that few people actually make minimum wage except for servers whose income is supplemented by tips.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know if that's true or not. Minimum wage is $15.00 in Alberta, $14.00 in Ontario, $12.65 in B.C. and $11.35 here. Alberta has no PST and in B.C. the climate (most esp. in the Lower Mainland and on the Island) is so much milder that you save money on clothing and transport as you can walk and cycle a lot more. Provincial income tax rates in B.C. for a minimum wage earner are less than half those in Manitoba. For people earning less than $30,000 Manitoba has the second highest income tax rate in Canada next to Quebec. Also, food is cheaper in B.C., produce for certain and many restaurants as well esp East and South Asian cuisines. In the Lower Mainland rents are ridiculous in Downtown Van and Kits, but there are still some deals to be found elsewhere. According to my friend, rents in Edmonton are cheaper than in Winnipeg. For Toronto, my guess is that few people actually make minimum wage except for servers whose income is supplemented by tips.
I have lived in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and now Abbotsford, BC. BC is far more expensive to live in with the cost of gas, and living alone being astronomically high. Even in Abbotsford, which is 45 minutes to 1 hour away from Vancouver 1 bedroom apartments average at around 1000.00 a month with anything that is half decent being closer to 12-1400.00. Nevermind in the actual city itself. I was living in a walk-in closet for 750.00, in downtown Vancouver. Also gas is averaging around 1.55-1.65 per litre. You just can't compare the two. Groceries are also not cheaper here. I travel back to Manitoba every January for 4 weeks. Cost of groceries seem to be on par, or less there. There are also other things that must be considered as well. For instance. I have been driving for 11 years now. Clean record. No accidents, no tickets. My insurance in Manitoba for my Micra was 142.00 a month. My insurance for the same coverage here in BC is 319.00 a month, which was an increase from last year from 305.00, despite my clean record. ICBC is a disgusting organization.

I lived in Downtown Winnipeg only a year and a half ago for only 500.00 a month. Mind you, it was 177 Colony, not the nicest building, but on par, quality wise with the place I was staying in Vancouver. Only difference is it was 250.00 cheaper, for a 1 bedroom, full bath, living room and kitchen all to myself, where-as I said the place in Vancouver was a closet with 1 bathroom shared by 3 people.

Alberta is a cheap province to live in, if not for anything than the lack of a PST. Out of all the places I have lived, Edmonton and Winnipeg offered the greatest opportunity for saving money based on similar incomes across the board.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 12:04 AM

Off topic slightly, but I noticed that Steinbach actually decreased in population in 1 or 2 of those years listed by stats can. Over the 5 year period the population barely increased at all.

I guess it's safe to assume urban flight has begun and people are moving to the surrounding suburbs. In ten years, downtown Steinbach will be similar to downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 2:40 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Off topic slightly, but I noticed that Steinbach actually decreased in population in 1 or 2 of those years listed by stats can. Over the 5 year period the population barely increased at all.

I guess it's safe to assume urban flight has begun and people are moving to the surrounding suburbs. In ten years, downtown Steinbach will be similar to downtown Winnipeg.
But in ten years downtown Winnipeg will be something else.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have lived in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and now Abbotsford, BC. BC is far more expensive to live in with the cost of gas, and living alone being astronomically high. Even in Abbotsford, which is 45 minutes to 1 hour away from Vancouver 1 bedroom apartments average at around 1000.00 a month with anything that is half decent being closer to 12-1400.00. Nevermind in the actual city itself. I was living in a walk-in closet for 750.00, in downtown Vancouver. Also gas is averaging around 1.55-1.65 per litre. You just can't compare the two. Groceries are also not cheaper here. I travel back to Manitoba every January for 4 weeks. Cost of groceries seem to be on par, or less there. There are also other things that must be considered as well. For instance. I have been driving for 11 years now. Clean record. No accidents, no tickets. My insurance in Manitoba for my Micra was 142.00 a month. My insurance for the same coverage here in BC is 319.00 a month, which was an increase from last year from 305.00, despite my clean record. ICBC is a disgusting organization.

I lived in Downtown Winnipeg only a year and a half ago for only 500.00 a month. Mind you, it was 177 Colony, not the nicest building, but on par, quality wise with the place I was staying in Vancouver. Only difference is it was 250.00 cheaper, for a 1 bedroom, full bath, living room and kitchen all to myself, where-as I said the place in Vancouver was a closet with 1 bathroom shared by 3 people.

Alberta is a cheap province to live in, if not for anything than the lack of a PST. Out of all the places I have lived, Edmonton and Winnipeg offered the greatest opportunity for saving money based on similar incomes across the board.
Specifically, we were discussing cost of living for a person living alone and making minimum wage. A person living alone and making minimum wage would almost certainly not be able to afford a car so the prices of gas and insurance are irrelevant.

If you compare for example Save-On in Winnipeg to Save-On in Abbotsford prices are most likely nearly identical, but in the Lower Mainland there are many independent little produce markets that are much less expensive than supermarkets. In Van City they are all over the place, not sure about Abbotsford, I've never spent anytime there, but Winnipeg has very few independent markets and at the ones that do exist the prices are usually HIGHER.

You were lucky to have a place for $500, almost unheard of. Most (very) basic one bedroom apartments in Winnipeg average $800 to $900. Just was driving up McPhillips last week and near Mountain there are suites for rent, $875 for a one bedroom near Mountain & McPhillips, not the best area. I have a friend in Langley renting in a newer building (I think built in 2014) a one bedroom and den. Balcony, underground parking, in suite laundry for $1250. That would be all of that here in Linden Woods or Whyte Ridge.

Where Winnipeg really wins hands-down is for a couple who want to buy a single family house and start a family. Say for example that this couple have a household income of $80,000, which is pretty average, Winnipeg is the only major city in the country where they can afford it. The Lower Mainland is out of the question.

As an aside, a bit envious of you truth be told. Out in the Valley you've had quite a few days above 20°C already. Still a fair bit of snow here and we haven't topped 10° as of yet.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 11:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

Maybe the land inside the city limits is mostly built out and new developments are in suburbs like Mitchell.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Maybe the land inside the city limits is mostly built out and new developments are in suburbs like Mitchell.
http://www.steinbach.ca/city-hall/ci...ng/land-annex/

No, I think they just expanded.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:02 AM

My 2018 population estimates for other communities in Manitoba over 5,000 taking census undercounts into consideration.
Note: these estimates are for municipalities and not CAs.

Brandon 51,586
Steinbach 17,311
Thompson 14,213
Portage la Prairie 13,935
Winkler 13,845
Selkirk 10,766
Morden 9,297
Dauphin 8,805
The Pas 5,370
Niverville 5,140
Stonewall 5,137

Neepawa 4,992
Flin Flon 4,953 (only MB side)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:12 PM

Steinbach has suburbs! Bustling metropolis!

Isn't Steinbach expropriating a whole bunch of land surrounding the City as they're currently full?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:16 PM

I'm surprised Gimli hasn't grown more. It seems like a desirable place relative to most other small towns in Manitoba... there is a somewhat diverse economy (ag, government services, fishing, light industrial), there are a lot of recreational activities centred on the lake, it's a relatively close drive to Winnipeg, it's still inexpensive and it's generally a pleasant and pretty town. But it hasn't cracked 2,500 yet.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
We've even got a new dip shit city councillor who wants to drop speed limits from 80 to 50 on certain roadways, nice tan and hair though!
Who's that, Mr. Klein?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised Gimli hasn't grown more. It seems like a desirable place relative to most other small towns in Manitoba... there is a somewhat diverse economy (ag, government services, fishing, light industrial), there are a lot of recreational activities centred on the lake, it's a relatively close drive to Winnipeg, it's still inexpensive and it's generally a pleasant and pretty town. But it hasn't cracked 2,500 yet.
I'd agree. So much potential there. Unfortunately seems like the winters hold back growth. Need to embrace winter. Cottage country empties out after Labour day. At least Gimli has a decent year round population.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:22 PM

^ The thing with Gimli is that it actually is big enough to have a decent amount of year round amenities.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 1:26 AM

I run into a few people who have either already moved out there or have bought a house/land and intend to make the move when they retire.

I wonder what the population growth has been in the past couple decades? Not just Gimli itself, but the surrounding communities - Sandy Hook, Icelandic communities, Winnipeg Beach.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 2:52 AM
Mooderator

Gimli should really be promoting the Crown Royal thing. Tours, etc.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Gimli should really be promoting the Crown Royal thing. Tours, etc.
Yeah it’s too bad it’s not promoted more but I think that has to do with it not being bottled here. They ship it to Ontario for that. For the longest time you wouldn’t have even known it was made in gimli as the packaging just said bottled in Ontario. Maybe crown royal should do some investing in gimli. Start bottling it here and create a proper tour and tasting. And have a store selling all the merchandise you can think of. But that probably can’t be done because of our ridiculous liquor laws. NO CHOICE FOR YOU!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan