HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 2:38 PM
I am a typical

You guys obviously aren't photographers.

Winter skies are clearer, bluer and the light from the sun is more magical. It's a wonderful time of year!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 4:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
what?

even i hate winter at times.......

but the light is crisp great for high contrast black and white or colour depending on what ur shooting

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 7:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww man jazz fest ended on a high note after moses mases finished a random party of drums fire and dancing broke out on king still going when i left at 2 though getting smaller but still prity sweet dance battles and all

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:39 PM

^That's awesome. I would have loved to see Moses Mayes again this year, but had to work last night. Saturday was great though, Beast put on a really good performance I thought.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 7:42 PM

Anybody been to the new Big Albert burgers or whatever it was called - i think it's called White Spot or White Star now? It looks much nicer, and hopefully cleaner.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesquirrels View Post
^That's awesome. I would have loved to see Moses Mayes again this year, but had to work last night. Saturday was great though, Beast put on a really good performance I thought.
beast did it again last night the anoucer from u of w's 95.9 asked who was there sat for beast and at least half the crowed put there hands up including me hehehe last night was fun espeacly with the random block party

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 8:14 PM
Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Anybody been to the new Big Albert burgers or whatever it was called - i think it's called White Spot or White Star now? It looks much nicer, and hopefully cleaner.
Man I hope it's not the "White Spot". They have these all over in BC. I tried one, and it was greasy God awful Winnipeg can do better than that.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 8:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no its called white star

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 8:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

for those that missed jazz fest u missed some tunes man
beast
Video Link

Video Link

nothing for moses mayes yet though

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 12:40 AM

white star has really, really dope pulled pork sandwiches.
that's all you need to know.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 12:42 AM

sidenote: i wish they kept the colour-changing/tree-illuminating LED lights in old market square all year round. they're beautiful and I found myself staring at them more than the jazz bands while at the beer garden.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 6:03 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Winnipeg to hold giveaway weekend

By: Staff Writer

8/07/2009 11:00 AM | Winnipeg Free Press

WINNIPEG--Winnipeg will hold its first "giveaway weekend" on Sept. 26 and 27, when residents will be encouraged to place unwanted goods on their curbs to allow other people to scoop them up.

Mayor Sam Katz's cabinet has approved a pilot project for a giveaway weekend at the behest of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

The idea is to divert reusable goods from landfills. Late September was chosen for the pilot because it's at the end of the garage-sale season.

The city will spend $20,000 promoting giveaway weekend.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-50230242.html

Guess Mayor Katz is a big fan of The Beverly Hillbillies.

It would've been hilarious if Google Streetview was to film on "Giveaway Weekend."

Oh yeah, their logic is also off-the-mark... there is no such thing as an "end of the garage-sale season" in Transcona.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 6:24 PM
the first stamp is free

^ this is awesome.

Although, where I live, everyday is "giveaway" day. Just put anything unwanted in the back lane, and presto, it magically disappears in a couple hours.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 7:13 PM
Armchair urbanist

I never had a problem throwing clutter out, or donating it for that matter. Maybe I'll take any of my neighbors items that day and donate them myself.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 7:17 PM

I'm ok with it as long people put the stuff away afterwards.

heck, i put out a old coffee maker and electric frying pan in back lane yesterday, betcha they gone by now. this will be a big change for the suburbs, hopefully it's successful.

young folks can furnish their apartments with the stuff

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 10:34 PM
I am a typical

Stealing people's garbage was declared legal by the supreme court anyway. It seems kinda pointless.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

leaving stuff in the ally that seems to work prity good inless its an old fence post

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:20 PM

somebody took my old gas fireplace. what do you do with a used gas fireplace?

and my kitchen cupboards.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahah FTW one less trip to the dump it and i bet u wind up visiting some random person and find it still being used lol

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:31 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Winnipeg's shame

Leads in selling sex with kids

By ROSS ROMANIUK, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 9th July 2009, 3:03am

Winnipeg has the most frightening prevalence of sexual exploitation of girls among several major Canadian cities, says a Vancouver advocate who is pressing governments to try harder to curb the problem.

Benjamin Perrin, who formerly advised Canada's federal immigration minister on the issue, yesterday painted a stark picture of the illegal trade of girls in this province and across the country -- many of them aboriginal -- at a Winnipeg forum on human trafficking.

'Horrible problem'

"There's a horrible problem with sexually exploited youth in the province of Manitoba," Perrin, an assistant law professor at the University of British Columbia, told the Winnipeg Sun on the first day of the two-day conference organized by the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

Perrin got a close look at the local extent of the problem while riding with city police in troubled districts last fall as part of a study of eight Canadian cities.

"Winnipeg, by far, had the highest prevalence of overt acts of kids being on sale on your streets. It was really alarming," he said at a Pembina Highway hotel where the forum was held.

"For many of us, we need to see it to believe it."

Perrin, who has studied such issues in Cambodia, tried here to ensure that Manitoba and Winnipeg authorities understand what they're up against. With city police, RCMP and Canadian Security Intelligence Service officials in attendance, he told scores of stakeholders about the unsettling extent to which the Craigslist buy-and-sell website has unwittingly offered an easy vehicle for advertising sex with child trafficking victims.

Family services agencies are where many victims come from.

"Most of the cases we've heard about from Winnipeg involve children who were in care. They're wards of the province, frequently," Perrin said.

"We've been able to document cases from organizations that work in the city, of children in their care having been recruited, basically, by slightly older men."

Body found

The forum has been punctuated emotionally by the July 1 discovery of the body of 17-year-old Cherisse Houle, a victim of sex trafficking. A backhoe operator found her body in Sturgeon Creek, about 18 kilometres west of Winnipeg in Rosser, five days after she was reported missing.

AMC Grand Chief Ron Evans said the conference is part of sending a public message that it's not "OK to prey on our people," in addition to finding answers.

"It's the first time we're doing this, because of the statistics," Evans said.

"The majority of victims are First Nations, aboriginal. It's only fitting that we take a role in bringing this issue to the forefront for the general public, but also for our people."

ross.romaniuk@sunmedia.ca

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winn...71416-sun.html

Sex slaves on Winnipeg streets

By: Ron Evans

8/07/2009 1:00 AM | Winnipeg Free Press

The sexual enslavement of women and children is a global human rights issue in our own backyard. Manitobans and Canadians need not look to countries notorious for human trafficking for sexual exploitation, like Thailand, or developing countries, they only need to look at the streets of Winnipeg and other cities, especially those in Western Canada.

The "Stop Sex with Kids" campaign website explains "sexual exploitation" as "the exchange of sex for food, shelter, drugs/alcohol, money and/or approval. Sexual exploitation is not a lifestyle choice -- it's child abuse." Statistics at that site paint a picture of the extent of this abuse on the streets of Winnipeg and Manitoba: there are approximately 400 children and youth being sexually exploited on the streets of Winnipeg each year; 13 years old is the average age that children reported their first experience of being exploited; most (85-90 per cent) of sexually exploited children/youth are female; 70-80 per cent of adults involved in the sex trade were first exploited under the age of 18; most (70-80 per cent) of the children and youth exploited in Manitoba are of aboriginal descent; and about 72 per cent were in the care of Child and Family Services.

There is probably little understanding of what human trafficking is, and the full extent to which it is occurring in Canada. There is no universally accepted definition of human trafficking, but essentially it refers to the recruitment, transportation and harbouring of a person for the purposes of forced slavery, including the use of threat of force, deception, position of vulnerability, committed without the free and informed consent of the trafficked person. Human trafficking is often referred to as the modern day slave trade, and it is now viewed as a fundamental human rights issue.

A February 2009 United Nations Global Report on Trafficking in Persons found that the most common form of human trafficking (79 per cent) is sexual exploitation. That same report found that victims are predominantly women and girls; most trafficking is national or regional; and that the Americas are prominent both as the origin and destination of victims in the human trade.

U.S. and Canadian federal departmental reports document that aboriginal women and girls are at greater risk of becoming victims of trafficking within and outside Canada for the purpose of commercial sexual exploitation. Other research confirms trafficking between Canadian cities, especially those in the west, including Winnipeg, where there are networks.

It is time for Manitobans to become aware of this growing national problem. How many missing women and children are victims of human trafficking? In Manitoba, the provincial strategy on youth and child sexual exploitation was launched in 2002. At a November 13, 2008 Stop Sex with Kids Awareness Campaign event, and at a Roundtable on Sexual Exploitation of Youth and Children, both hosted by the province, myself and AMC representatives expressed the need for this strategy to reach on-reserve and for immediate federal action on this issue.

While most of Canada's efforts have been on punitive approaches to those caught human trafficking, public awareness is essential in protecting our most vulnerable citizens from modern day slavery.

I urge all young people to be aware. Human trafficking is not just something that happens overseas. It is here in Canada, and it usually starts with someone you trust, someone who promises you a better life, a new job, a new start. They'll find you in the city and even in a First Nation community. Be suspicious of anyone making you promises that sound too good to be true. Thoroughly check out anyone who approaches you with job offers that are vague -- if you have access to the Internet, Google their company; get a phone number to call; or quite simply, ask people you know if they know anything about that company. If you feel you are in immediate danger, call the police.

There are ways to protect yourself and those you love from becoming victims. A growing awareness of human trafficking is critical in the overall effort to preventing human trafficking and stopping sexual exploitation.

Ron Evans is grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 8, 2009 A10

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...-50212062.html

It is also a shame that it takes an international conference to be held here for this issue to get some attention. I'm no expert in what sort of strategies could be/are effective in helping these vulnerable women in such a high-risk situation, but it does seem obvious that much more needs to be done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan