HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
For what it would cost for a road you could give each resident a $ million and tell them good luck somewhere else!
A winter road maybe, but an all weather road would be enormously expensive. Hundreds of millions.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
A winter road maybe, but an all weather road would be enormously expensive. Hundreds of millions.
Yeah, that's what he's getting at. You could give each of churchills 900 residents a $million to bugger off.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:23 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Investment in Manitoba's Sleeper Towns

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 2:22 PM

^ OK, this is a total sidebar, but it's interesting that Portage's head of economic development is former wrestler Vern May (aka Vance Nevada).

Until very recently, former wrestler Don Callis (aka The Natural/Jackyl) was the President of Manitoba Trade and Investment.

Who knew that our wrestlers had so much economic development expertise? What's next, Chris Jericho as Minister of Finance?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Are Vern May and Don Callis bad at their current jobs??

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:48 PM

^ I have no idea... my comment was in no way intended to pass judgment on their competence.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I have no idea... my comment was in no way intended to pass judgment on their competence.
Why do you hate wrestlers so much?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Why do you hate wrestlers so much?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:01 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 11:06 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Error 521 Ray ID: 4d57cd6e785cab6a • 2019-05-11 23:06:16 UTC

Web server is down

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 4:34 AM

$30M redevelopment of the Brandon Shoppers Mall now substantially complete:

https://ebrandon.ca/buzzpost.aspx?buzz_id=316

I had my doubts about the mall when the Corral Centre opened in the valley and they lost both Safeway and Target as anchors, however they seem to have done quite well.

Of course there is another "big box" development proposed a little bit to the south with a building that resembles a Costco that may cut into their busines...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
$30M redevelopment of the Brandon Shoppers Mall now substantially complete:

https://ebrandon.ca/buzzpost.aspx?buzz_id=316

I had my doubts about the mall when the Corral Centre opened in the valley and they lost both Safeway and Target as anchors, however they seem to have done quite well.

Of course there is another "big box" development proposed a little bit to the south with a building that resembles a Costco that may cut into their busines...
I remember when the mall first opened. There has certainly been a lot of changes ever since. It's too bad that the old downtown seems to be abandoned by the city's residents though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I remember when the mall first opened. There has certainly been a lot of changes ever since. It's too bad that the old downtown seems to be abandoned by the city's residents though.
Brandon goes beyond mere abandonment and into outright hostility towards their downtown. It's a small miracle that there are still so many buildings standing there...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Brandon goes beyond mere abandonment and into outright hostility towards their downtown. It's a small miracle that there are still so many buildings standing there...
You got that right.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:07 PM

^ It's sad, because with a modicum of effort they could easily have a wonderful downtown. The bones are there for one of the best small city downtowns in Western Canada. But everyone I know in Brandon seems to hold it in contempt. It's like a little city full of Riverman types. I don't get it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:29 PM

^^ I just saw a Facebook video post a day or two ago promoting Brandon's downtown, so maybe they are trying to turn this around. I also like Brandon's downtown area. Last time I was there was mid-winter, but I could easily see it becoming a popular summer destination.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
^^ I just saw a Facebook video post a day or two ago promoting Brandon's downtown, so maybe they are trying to turn this around. I also like Brandon's downtown area. Last time I was there was mid-winter, but I could easily see it becoming a popular summer destination.
Do you have a link?

I like that the city kept the old fire hall, it's a fine gathering place now. I still lament the tearing down of the Prince Edward Hotel which would have been just up the street from the Fire Hall (IIRC). It could have been a great place like the Grant Hall Hotel in Moose Jaw (http://www.granthall.ca/). These two place would have been great bookends for a vibrant downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Do you have a link?
It's on the Travel Manitoba Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/TravelManit...4639277352261/

I am guessing it's on their website too?

P.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
^ It's sad, because with a modicum of effort they could easily have a wonderful downtown. The bones are there for one of the best small city downtowns in Western Canada. But everyone I know in Brandon seems to hold it in contempt. It's like a little city full of Riverman types. I don't get it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 5:50 AM

I think at least some of the aversion to Brandon's downtown comes from a lack of perspective. Friends in Brandon speak of dealing with "traffic". However, for fun I have shown people Google Maps Traffic and watched the tiny results of a train going through on the non-grade-separated CN line and virtually no other problems in the city.

Back in the day when downtown malls were a sure-fire way to restore downtowns Brandon built the Brandon Gallery. A couple of blocks of central cohesive streetscape was bulldozed to do this. However, it was relatively tiny and really did not give people a reason to go downtown and (OMG) pay for parking in their garage. The stores and restaurants in that "mall" are now almost all gone.

Back in the day it was decided to convert virtually every street in or around downtown to one way as efficiency was important. The two main streets became four lanes each way in one direction which really detracted from their environment. Of course the built up area of downtown was only a few blocks long but that was irrlelvant. Bizarrely, a few years ago when things like pedestrianising places like Times Square in NYC became news Brandon tried pedestrianising Rosser Avenue, the main street through downtown, by blocking all vehicles. Oddly, pedestrians did not appear out of nowhere.

There are homeless poeple (at least a few), there used to be a couple of really bad bars (the patrons may still be in the vicinity), etc. You name it, there are reasons to feel bad about downtown.

Civic pride seems to be an issue as well. The TD Bank location downtown has a gigantic clock outside that has been missing its arms for years. The Esso near the long-time abandoned nightclub and now burned down beer vendor has been closed so long the painted over Esso signs have re-emerged (along with new graffiti on the old station). The Knight's Inn sign has holes in it and still advertises the now burned down nightclub.

To me, Brandon's downtown needs to give a reason for people to go there. Independent local businesses like shown in the video are a great reason to go. The Firehall and things like it are great for the area as well.

Sorry for the long rant...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan