HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:25 PM
There is always a way

Looks pretty close to true colour to me if it isn't. I was in there earlier to grab coffee and noticed that Simon's Cuisine and the Fusian Tapas/sushi joint were open too. As for the beer kiosk I noticed that their menu is fairly basic in terms of what you can get. I'm guessing once more local microbreweries open they'll gradually shift to a more local selection. Exciting time at the forks people. Who knows how this place will look in 10 years!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:31 PM

Going to try and swing in this weekend to check it out. Looks interesting.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:16 PM

i wonder how far from the kiosk you can carry your drink?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 10:28 PM

I believe throughout the new renovated area. Nice addition...I'll be testing my theory in the next couple of days..

Quote:
The location of the bar makes it nearly impossible to miss with a large back splash that features the menu of 20 different craft beers and wines.

The bar is open from 11:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. but McIntosh said those hours will evolve. Starting next Thursday it will be open until 11 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays and 9 p.m. the rest of the week.

Image/News Source:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I believe throughout the new renovated area. Nice addition...I'll be testing my theory in the next couple of days..

Image/News Source:
They really should have it open until 11pm on Saturdays as well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Looks pretty close to true colour to me if it isn't. I was in there earlier to grab coffee and noticed that Simon's Cuisine and the Fusian Tapas/sushi joint were open too. As for the beer kiosk I noticed that their menu is fairly basic in terms of what you can get. I'm guessing once more local microbreweries open they'll gradually shift to a more local selection. Exciting time at the forks people. Who knows how this place will look in 10 years!
The idea, over time, is to serve only local microbrewery products.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 7:02 AM

You can have your drink anywhere on the main floor of the Market excluding the licensed restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:49 PM

Fools and horses will be taking over the Human Bean space in August

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Dozens of developers expected to submit plans for Forks land

"The Forks expects to receive about 100 submissions from developers from across the country who want a piece of The Forks."

Also

"While the original plan envisioned a construction start date in 2015 that never materialized. Jordan said the earliest construction can start now is likely 18 months from now."
via Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...385469811.html

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 7:02 PM

^ Can't wait to see what ultimately gets pitched. I'd love to see all the ideas... from the stucco-covered strip malls and fast food joint proposals to the shiny glass tower concepts.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 9:34 PM

Bart has an article out about building height being restricted to 6 storeys. With about 20 new buildings to go on the sites.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...lans-1.3664124

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 9:45 PM

^ Hrm. I agree with the theory in that maybe that isn't necessarily the best place for highrises, but 6 storeys seems unreasonably low. I'd bump it up to at least 10 storeys since residential buildings have relatively low floor heights... that would be like maybe an 8 or 9 storey office building which is hardly a dominating height.

6 storeys would be fine if they were building them Europe-style side by side one after the other, but how do you get much density when they inevitably build them in the standard Winnipeg manner of towers standing completely separate and apart from each other with plenty of wasted space in between?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:03 PM

I'm going to venture a guess people were scared about losing downtown views from the forks. They said anything over 6 storeys you lose the feeling of street interaction. Well IMO a person living on storey 6 or on storey 20 really have no difference in street interaction. Ie: no street interaction.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hrm. I agree with the theory in that maybe that isn't necessarily the best place for highrises, but 6 storeys seems unreasonably low. I'd bump it up to at least 10 storeys since residential buildings have relatively low floor heights... that would be like maybe an 8 or 9 storey office building which is hardly a dominating height.

6 storeys would be fine if they were building them Europe-style side by side one after the other, but how do you get much density when they inevitably build them in the standard Winnipeg manner of towers standing completely separate and apart from each other with plenty of wasted space in between?
the plan is that they will be side by side. It will be high density set around narrow streets and courtyards....eurostyle.

It is pretty well documented that anything over 6 stories loses its connection to the sidewalk, needs greater space between buildings and wider streets to get sun to the sidewalk. Look at the exchange district as an example.

The design decisions had nothing to do with views to the downtown....it had everything to do with creating a dense, human scaled urban neighbourhood.

6 stories is perfect.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:32 PM

^ That sounds good... 6 storeys is a common height in Europe and it works fantastically well in terms of creating a pleasant streetscape, but of course a reasonable level of density is a necessary ingredient. Sounds like The Forks is conscious of that, though.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:38 PM
surely you agree with me

it will be dense...don't worry about that.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 2:50 PM

If it's like a small European town, that'd be great. I just don't want it to turn into scattered 6 storey building surrounded by parking lots. Especially if there's going to be numerous, developers being brought it for this. I'll leave it to the pro's to figure it out.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:41 PM
surely you agree with me

there will be very little if any surface parking....the streets will be pedestrian not vehicular.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:43 PM

Fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Deep sigh of relief.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan