HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
If we had another language all our problems would be solved. On the other hand, if we had another language, we would not have been part of the powerful British Empire until 1931. In other words, we would have been a small independent republic and the Americans would have bullied us, especially in the period 1865-1917.

So we’d be culturally rich and sure of ourselves, but our standard of living and human rights would be like a Latin American country or the Philippines.
I always wondered if we embraced the aboriginal culture a little more if it'd make a difference.

Even if it were as simple and obnoxious as white girls in surrey getting Cree/Inuktitut tattoos.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:19 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
So what are the things you wish Canada had to distinguish ourselves from the US?

I.e. in terms of language, culture, traditions, transit, education, sports, media etc.
Why do so many Canadians have such a deep need to be different than the US/Americans? It says a lot about the national psyche that we're not comfortable with Canada and the US being so similar. Austia and Switzerland are similar too but you won't find Austrians desperate to be 'not Swiss'. If it's so important, it's the Americans that can do the changing. They're far too Canadianized. They live in Canadian style houses, dress like us, talk like us, play our sports, and even copy our holiday traditions.

To be a sport I'll play though. I wish Canada had experimented far more with Canadian Chateau Style architecture. Another 1,000 buildings like the Royal York or Banff Springs would have been fabulous.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:22 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not sure why so many Canadians have such a deep need to be different than the US. It says a lot about the national psyche that we're not comfortable with Canada and the US being so similar. Austia and Switzerland are similar too but you won't find Austrians desperate to be 'not Swiss'.

If it's so important the Americans can do the changing. They're far too Canadianized.
No! Don't say this!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Austia and Switzerland are similar too but you won't find Austrians desperate to be 'not Swiss'. .
That's because most people in the world have a somewhat clearer picture of what Switzerland and Austria are. Sure both are associated with mountains and skiing, but Austria is associated with Mozart, Vienna (boys choir, opera), Sissi, the Hapsburgs, The Sound of Music and even Hitler ().

Switzerland has an even stronger international brand with Gruyère (Swiss) cheese, watches, neutrality, the Red Cross, chocolates, yodelling, German-French-Italian regions, international agencies, the Geneva Convention, banking in Zurich...

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It would be nice if we had more "points of convergence".

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC5VWUQpGro

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:33 PM
video et taceo

We don't really need "things". We just need a slightly different approach. We need to be a little more into our thing.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 12:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
We don't really need "things". We just need a slightly different approach. We need to be a little more into our thing.
"Culture cringe" is probably too entrenched and dominant for that to happen, though. A trend in the opposite direction is actually more likely.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Why do so many Canadians have such a deep need to be different than the US/Americans? It says a lot about the national psyche that we're not comfortable with Canada and the US being so similar. Austia and Switzerland are similar too but you won't find Austrians desperate to be 'not Swiss'. If it's so important, it's the Americans that can do the changing. They're far too Canadianized. They live in Canadian style houses, dress like us, talk like us, play our sports, and even copy our holiday traditions.

To be a sport I'll play though. I wish Canada had experimented far more with Canadian Chateau Style architecture. Another 1,000 buildings like the Royal York or Banff Springs would have been fabulous.
For starters the difference between the Swiss and Austrians is pretty dam wide.

I'm also trying to ask a relatively wide open question. The fact is Canada is a Country of its own. To me it isn't all that much different than a suburb of Chicago wanting to have its own thing.

I'm very open and proud to consider myself a member of Anglo-America.

However I think its a bit absurd that we lack any of the perks of having independent nation status.

Almost no real sports leagues, a overwhelming amount of spareness that lacks any unity etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada