HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:22 PM
What could go wrong?

It's funny, because the part they just demolished was the new addition built not that long ago. I understand that it is all being demolished but it sounds strange saying the "old Manitoba Clinic".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:29 PM

So what's happening with the old-old Manitoba Clinic? Is it getting demolished too?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Supposed to be, yes.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:08 PM
the first stamp is free

The "old" Manitoba Clinic is where my pediatrician was when I was growing up.

Is anything slated to go up after they are done the demo?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:36 PM
What could go wrong?

The plan before the "New" Manitoba Clinic building was constructed was to demolish the old building and build the now "cancelled, on hold, delayed" Cancer Care tower.

Where that sits with the new government is anyone's guess. I would think there is a plan, because demolishing the building now will leave a horrid hole in what I like as one of Winnipeg's nicest and liveliest street-scapes......McDermot Ave between Emily and Sherbrook.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Where that sits with the new government is anyone's guess. I would think there is a plan, because demolishing the building now will leave a horrid hole in what I like as one of Winnipeg's nicest and liveliest street-scapes......McDermot Ave between Emily and Sherbrook.
I think there's a civic bylaw that you have to have at least one large surface parking lot per built-up city block.

But seriously, I have been hearing rumours about CancerCare… "delayed" is probably the most apt way of putting it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:06 PM

Not sure if the thread title should be changed as the "new" Manitoba Clinic is no longer under construction.

In terms of the old building, while it was structural sound the reality is the building was very outdated for modern medical use. Regardless of when something new goes up it needed to go. Get it cleared out and convert it to a simple green space with some grass until the new building is ready to proceed.

In terms of patient care, I think moving Cancer Care to a mostly physically separated building is a good idea long term. Right now there is an entrance to Cancer Care directly off the main HSC hallway. It doesn't have a lot of benefit to patients and does lead to the occasional lost person wandering needlessly through Cancer Care. Considering cancer patients are often have compromised immune systems the new building could be locked down and only let authorized people in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan