HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:03 PM

I hope that, despite the issues mentioned, that more cyclists do their best to use these lanes. Imperfect as they may be, there has been a lot of discussion and a lot of planning and money that has been built into these things. Unless that happens, I can forsee a "use it or lose it" dialogue starting up.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:21 PM

Are bike lanes wide enough that an emergency vehicle can use them if traffic is blocking the other lanes?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I hope that, despite the issues mentioned, that more cyclists do their best to use these lanes. Imperfect as they may be, there has been a lot of discussion and a lot of planning and money that has been built into these things. Unless that happens, I can forsee a "use it or lose it" dialogue starting up.
yeah, I hope people have the patience for a more connected network. the downtown lanes, as great as they are, still have terrible connections to most of the city.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 2:39 PM

I just noticed that all the St. James Biz bike racks (those orange sun shaped ones) have been removed, I assume to prevent them from being destroyed by snowplows (like in the picture below). Unfortunately, there are now almost no places to park your bike, which is sort of ironic given the fact that there are two bike shops on this strip of Portage. I wish there was a solution that didn't involve removing bike infrastructure for the winter. Like maybe snowplow operators could be better trained to not damage street furniture, trees, etc. when plowing??

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:49 PM

That's brutal. Has happened all over the Exchange too – lots of new curbs and concrete planters that were redone last year were destroyed in the winter. I think the issue lies mostly on the snow storage decisions – it seems like it's generally not the sidewalk clearing's smaller equipment that damages streetscaping, but the massive plows that take snow from the street and drive up onto sidewalks to dump it.

The city says that contractors are responsible for fixing damages, but I've never seen that happen – what's the process for that even? Does it have to be reported by citizens, then go through the city, then to contractor who will likely say it wasn't them and no one holds them accountable?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

^In this case, the St. James Biz has put in a claim for several thousand dollars, which is supposed to be paid by the contractors. However, these claims take a long time to resolve, and in the meantime, we still have broken furniture and bike racks. Same with the curbs, the contractors are supposed to pay into a fund to fix damaged curbs, but each claim has to be assessed and eventually fixed. It's a long process and lots of damage is never reported, let alone fixed. I'm just miffed that all the bike racks are gone. That's not a solution, in my mind.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:17 PM

It's definitely not a solution. It's the "city" giving in and saying we're going to allow companies to be reckless and destroy our infrastructure while paying them to do it.

In my mind, the city should should have contingency funding built into all these contracts that doesn't get paid out in full until it is confirmed there is no damage, or damage is rectified using this contingency funding. Instead of paying them, then waiting for a ridiculous process to fix issues, if they ever get fixed, just hold a portion of the contract payments til spring to fix any damages. You want your money? No problem, fix the things you broke first.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That's brutal. Has happened all over the Exchange too – lots of new curbs and concrete planters that were redone last year were destroyed in the winter. I think the issue lies mostly on the snow storage decisions – it seems like it's generally not the sidewalk clearing's smaller equipment that damages streetscaping, but the massive plows that take snow from the street and drive up onto sidewalks to dump it.

The city says that contractors are responsible for fixing damages, but I've never seen that happen – what's the process for that even? Does it have to be reported by citizens, then go through the city, then to contractor who will likely say it wasn't them and no one holds them accountable?
Wouldn't common sense dictate that in a winter city where roads and sidewalks need to be cleared of snow that you don't clutter every available space with "stuff".

Damage by contractors is no different in suburban areas, endless cycle of repair and destroy, curbs, lawns, boulevards and sidewalks agree no contractor has ever been held accountable!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:10 PM

Seems like there has been more damage in recent years. Not just bike racks and street furniture -- I've seen a lot of trees damaged by plows in recent years too. And of course plenty of curbs and sidewalk planters. I've heard that the city is chalking up a lot of the damage to inexperienced/poorly trained operators. Just because you can operate a backhoe doesn't mean you know how to plow snow in an urban area. If that's the case, the contractors need to held accountable. Pay for the damage and pay to train your operators. Simple. Not so simple.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 7:15 PM

Also noticed in my bike travels today, I was just at Polo Park and I see the older bike rack at the front is gone and there are now only two measly rings at the main entrance of the mall. For a gigantic mall, this seems pretty insufficient for bike parking. I thought large commercial developments were required to have a certain amount of bike parking? I heard that Polo has some nice bike lockers around the back side, but surely a few more bike spots at each entrance would be a no brainer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wouldn't common sense dictate that in a winter city where roads and sidewalks need to be cleared of snow that you don't clutter every available space with "stuff".

Damage by contractors is no different in suburban areas, endless cycle of repair and destroy, curbs, lawns, boulevards and sidewalks agree no contractor has ever been held accountable!
We don't know what the amount of holdbacks are for damages as the city does not usually publicize the amounts for any of their contracts.

From what I read somewhere a while ago apparently the city goes in 4 year cycle to repair damage doing 1/4 of the city each year. Unfortunately it means that the damage will be seen for 3 summers, fixed in the 4th and then possibly damaged later that winter not to be fixed until 4 years after.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:29 AM

Here is a funny story about a man who has been told the repair to his damaged curb will take more than 40 years. Was damaged by a plough 26 years ago, and the target date for repair is now 2037! Insane!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-fix-1.5344542

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:08 AM

Winnipeg is a poorly run city and Unicity has been a complete failure. What Mr. Hawley should do is start the campaign to make St. Vital an independent city once again.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:02 PM
BANNED

Wolseley to Downtown update:

November 2019 – On November 21, 2019, members of the project team were on Westminster Avenue between Chestnut Street to Langside Street in the central segment of the project area to discuss proposed design elements with residents and businesses. Phase 3 of the project will launch early in January 2020 and will focus on sharing the recommended final design. Opportunities for engagement will include an open house and online survey.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:03 PM
BANNED

not feeling hopeful as they ignored the calls for separate infrastructure on Ruby St and the N/S St B route in favour of "greenways" which means nothing.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:21 AM

Isn't the St B greenway just on a side street? Like ride on the street? Is even called a greenway anymore or did they sort that out?

I remember seeing something about a greenway in EK/Elmwood. Along Brazier IIRC. And it was nothing. Just a designated street to ride on. No different than any other street.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:15 AM

The St. Boniface greenway on Eugenie is a joke. The city actually REMOVED the bicycle buttons and waiting area after installing them. So coming off the bridge down the fake AT path (sidewalk) on St. Mary's, you're just supposed to just stop in the crosswalk I guess and hope there's a car that doesn't want to turn right around you, in order to trigger the light. Or go on the sidewalk and hit the pedestrian button.

Then you go down a narrow Eugenie with lots of parked cars (even though there's a giant park there, and not even a sidewalk). Then you arrive at a busy intersection with Tache, which only has a 2-way stop. Needs to be upgraded to a 4-way or add crossing signal. Then you have to just chance crossing since there's so many parked cars it's hard to see what's coming.

But then once you cross Tache – SMOOTH SAILING BABY!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:14 AM
BANNED

^ as far as I can tell we might just be getting a few speed bumps

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:59 PM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Winnipeg makes top 10 for cycling cities - Fully linked grid would move city higher up Canadian list

Solomon Israel By: Solomon Israel 12/9/2019 6:18 AM

Despite the challenges winter presents, Alex Ivanko pedals down a bike lane on Nassau Street North. Winnipeg is one of the 10 best cities in Canada in which to ride a bicycle.

Ask a random Canadian about Winnipeg’s reputation, and they’re more likely to mention the cold or crime than cycling. But new rankings from online real estate brokerage Redfin put Winnipeg squarely in the Top 10 Canadian cities for biking, tied with Toronto and Richmond, B.C.

The rankings don’t qualify Winnipeg as a "biker’s paradise" (for cities with a score of 90 and above) or even "very bikeable" (70 to 89 points). But Winnipeg’s 61-point score earns a modest "bikeable" status in Redfin’s view, a category for cities with "some bike infrastructure."

Redfin’s bike-score ratings are similar to its proprietary walk scores and transit scores, which are often mentioned on real estate listings. (The company acquired Walk Score in 2014. Winnipeg’s average Walk Score is just 53, while Toronto has a Walk Score of 71.) The company’s inaugural Canadian bike-friendliness ranking covered roughly 100 cities, Redfin’s lead economist, Taylor Marr, said.

"We know from our years of experience that people really value walkability. They also values being close to transit increasingly... But also people really value bikeability, not only for the health benefits but also for the cost savings," said Marr, who commutes by bike in his home city of Seattle.

The bike-score rankings evaluated cities across four criteria — topography, cycling infrastructure such as bike lanes, the number of bikeable destinations and the share of the population that commutes by bicycle.

Liz Shearer, co-chairwoman of cycling advocacy group Bike Winnipeg, said bike ridership is on the increase in Winnipeg, "and as infrastructure is built, so is ridership... When people feel safer, they ride more often, which shouldn’t come as a surprise."

But Winnipeg’s lack of a fully connected cycling grid keeps Manitoba’s capital from being a true leader in bikeability, she said.

Shearer is concerned about the future of the 20-year active transportation strategy Winnipeg passed in 2015, saying the plan is being underfunded by the city.

"We’ve gotten international recognition for this cycling and pedestrian plan, but words without action is just a dream," Shearer said. "So if we’re not enacting and funding this type of plan properly, we’ll never reach its full potential."

The chilling spectre of Winnipeg winters is frequently invoked in public discourse around the city’s need for cycling infrastructure. Redfin’s Marr said the company’s scoring model didn’t account for weather directly, although the share of bike commuters serves as an indirect proxy, especially in North America.

"(You) often see somewhat of a correlation in terms of places that are more weather-friendly for biking do have higher shares of people biking. What is really odd, though, is that you don’t necessarily see that relationship very strongly on an international scale," he said, citing the cold weather cycling paradise of Copenhagen.

Winnipeggers tend to wear their cold weather credentials as a "badge of honour," Bike Winnipeg’s Shearer said.

"So it’s surprising when I hear that people think we’re not able to embrace (winter cycling) as part of our lifestyles, and I do think that it is because there is a lack of infrastructure so that people can feel safe and protected," she said.

"If we were to be able to make cycling a safe and convenient option year-round, then the only barrier we’d have to face in taking our bikes out on a winter’s day is the same battle we already face every day that we leave our homes as Winnipeggers."

Shearer encouraged Winnipeggers to try winter cycling if they haven’t before, suggesting a test ride on a route that’s protected from traffic.

"I don’t want anyone to feel like they’re pressured into trying something that makes them feel unsafe, but I would encourage people to try something new, and to see what routes are available to them — and if there isn’t a safe route to get them from A to B, who should they talk to, to make that happen?"

Victoria led Redfin’s bike-friendliness rankings with a score of 80, followed by Vancouver (79) and Montreal (73). Redfin rates Minneapolis as the most bikeable city in the U.S., with a score of 84 points.

solomon.israel@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @sol_israel
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan