HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
What about Lloydminster, they are about double the size of the battlerfords are they not? probably have a better corporate base there too?
Grande Prairie Could also be a contender for a team. Population of 60k puts it larger than PA, Moose Jaw, Swift current.

Though their rink only has a capacity of ~2300, which puts it on the smaller size in the league from what i can tell.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0b View Post
Grande Prairie Could also be a contender for a team. Population of 60k puts it larger than PA, Moose Jaw, Swift current.

Though their rink only has a capacity of ~2300, which puts it on the smaller size in the league from what i can tell.
You would not get a WHL expansion or relocated franchise with less than 5000 capacity and even that might be light.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 7:02 PM

anyone know if the Market Mall project is still a go ? i remember a 2017 springtime start date

looks like College quarter hotel is capped out as well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:16 PM
Saskatoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
anyone know if the Market Mall project is still a go ? i remember a 2017 springtime start date

looks like College quarter hotel is capped out as well.
From what I've heard, Market Mall project is still going ahead with the new owner, although my source is pretty far down the chain and may not necessarily be told something is not going ahead until it's well dead. There's also a bunch of new tenants going in the mall but not anything to get excited over unless you live across the street.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I don't believe anyone was saying that the RUSH were 'anchor tenants' that justify a new arena downtown. They were simply used as one example of a stable draw of 15,000 over 10 games (150,000 people) plus playoffs, that could be injecting even more life into Saskatoon's downtown core if an arena existed there. Sasktel Centre ranks right up there as one of the busiest arena's in North America in terms of days booked per year for events. And certainly, continues to be THE facility in Saskatchewan for touring music acts (except for the large outdoor touring acts which will go to Mosaic).

It is just frustrating for those of us who go to RUSH games and major concerts here in Saskatoon at the inadequacy of the facility to handle large crowds and the total lack of additional entertainment options (i.e. restaurants, pubs, bars) in the vicinity.

It is not too early to talk of a new facility, given it will likely take 10 years. My god....look how long it is taking to get the 3,000 seat Uni arena built!!
I agree with everything you've said here

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^Ditto what PrairieGuy said

8-12/yr Rush games doesn't require spending $100 million on downtown arena

8-12/yr Rider games did require $278 M priority on amenities, fan experience and new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes

completely makes sense..
I don't care either way, just seems like shakey logic.

My reply to SaskScraper:

Sorry but again I think the comparison doesn't work. The logic for NMS was a) spend $100M to renovate old Mosaic/Taylor Field (aka putting lipstick on a pig) or b) spend $278M and have a brand new, state of the art facility that should last for decades.

I believe that Saskatoon will eventually face the same renovate vs. build new decision for SaskTel Centre.
END

Swift Current has enough population to support Broncos'. If Saskatoon population ever can't support the Blades they should move to The Battlefords where they can have a better chance with its better population/corporate base for "..new revenue-generating opportunities like suites and luxury boxes"
Sorry SaskScaper but my reply to the first part of your reply got embedded in your post above.

On your second point, I didn't say Saskatoon can't support both the Blades & the Rush. I was responding to another poster who talked about an AHL team and I said Saskatoon, at this point, couldn't support all three teams...in that scenario, I believe the Blades would be the odd man out.

Thanks for the spirited discussion!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
From what I've heard, Market Mall project is still going ahead with the new owner, although my source is pretty far down the chain and may not necessarily be told something is not going ahead until it's well dead. There's also a bunch of new tenants going in the mall but not anything to get excited over unless you live across the street.
Yes from what I've heard, the actual mall project is still a go, but the 3 new condo towers that were proposed are no longer being built. I talked with Strathallen out of Toronto (the devs) on Monday, then the property manager on Wednesday. They both told me that the condo project has been scrapped for almost a month. I had a GC send me a recent MERX solicitation for this project, with all the building specs for all 3 towers. Not sure why they would solicit a project that has been scrapped for over a month.

It's too bad, really. I know a lot of people that are looking for work right now.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
Yes from what I've heard, the actual mall project is still a go, but the 3 new condo towers that were proposed are no longer being built. I talked with Strathallen out of Toronto (the devs) on Monday, then the property manager on Wednesday. They both told me that the condo project has been scrapped for almost a month. I had a GC send me a recent MERX solicitation for this project, with all the building specs for all 3 towers. Not sure why they would solicit a project that has been scrapped for over a month.

It's too bad, really. I know a lot of people that are looking for work right now.
too many letters from the blue-haired people lol......

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
Sorry SaskScaper but my reply to the first part of your reply got embedded in your post above.

On your second point, I didn't say Saskatoon can't support both the Blades & the Rush. I was responding to another poster who talked about an AHL team and I said Saskatoon, at this point, couldn't support all three teams...in that scenario, I believe the Blades would be the odd man out.

Thanks for the spirited discussion!
Saskatoon supports the Blades, but I don't think a lot of die hard fans necessarily enjoy the direction the team is going under the current owners. Owner has his son running the team as GM... His son has had zero experience in hockey operations before his dad bought the club. Nepotism is rarely good in sports.

But I've heard from a few people (though the Blades will deny it) that the organization is very much for sale. I've heard other people mention that they Rush may be interested in buying the team, but the Priestners and Bruce Urban are business rivals in Edmonton. Hence why you've never seen any real cross-promotions between the two clubs even though they share the same arena.

But as for the Sasktel Centre, we're rapidly approaching the point where I think we're going to start missing concerts because of the aging facility. The city will have to decide whether they build new or renovate. It will be interesting to see what effect the North Bridge will have on travel times to and from the Sasktel Centre. I've begun taking Marquis all the way to Arthur Rose Drive and down Warman road and it's way quicker than any other route during Rush games.

I should say that I am disappoint so far with the City of Saskatoon that there are so few "park and ride" options to get to and from Rush games. I'd park at Preston Crossing (or other malls) and take a "Lacrosse Express" to the Sasktel Centre for a couple of bucks. They do it in Regina for Rider games. Works pretty well. Why not here? Promote your bus service.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
Saskatoon supports the Blades, but I don't think a lot of die hard fans necessarily enjoy the direction the team is going under the current owners. Owner has his son running the team as GM... His son has had zero experience in hockey operations before his dad bought the club. Nepotism is rarely good in sports.

But I've heard from a few people (though the Blades will deny it) that the organization is very much for sale. I've heard other people mention that they Rush may be interested in buying the team, but the Priestners and Bruce Urban are business rivals in Edmonton. Hence why you've never seen any real cross-promotions between the two clubs even though they share the same arena.

But as for the Sasktel Centre, we're rapidly approaching the point where I think we're going to start missing concerts because of the aging facility. The city will have to decide whether they build new or renovate. It will be interesting to see what effect the North Bridge will have on travel times to and from the Sasktel Centre. I've begun taking Marquis all the way to Arthur Rose Drive and down Warman road and it's way quicker than any other route during Rush games.

I should say that I am disappoint so far with the City of Saskatoon that there are so few "park and ride" options to get to and from Rush games. I'd park at Preston Crossing (or other malls) and take a "Lacrosse Express" to the Sasktel Centre for a couple of bucks. They do it in Regina for Rider games. Works pretty well. Why not here? Promote your bus service.

because people here prefer to drive themselves everywhere. im guilty of it myself, not intentionally but it just happens. 6 of us go to the rush game or some pub/place to eat, we all drive in seperate cars, depending on the friend, ill pick them up or vise versa, but even some of my friends/acquaintances, its still " ill meet you there" type talk.

speaking for sasktel centre-- if we used the school busses that we used for garth brooks last summer, id utilize that also. or implement some park and ride system.

people here are just lazy altogether ( not pointing at you folks ). no one wants to walk/ride bikes/transit except a tiny fraction because its too hard or far our city was and will forever be built on driving cars, its not changing anytime soon

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:37 PM

It will be interesting to see how opening of Commuter Parkway bridge at Marquis Dr will affect ingress/egress to SaskTel Centre. The fact that people will still have to drive through traffic-light intersections at Warman Rd & still have to cross the same busy intersection at highway 11 plus have to enter parking from Marquis Dr won't really make things much better though.

Too bad the city can't rub a couple brain cells together & think of having a dedicated bus lane that could enter SaskTel Centre direct right off Yellowhead highway and have entrance back on Idylwyld for buses only. The city has larger articulated buses with higher capacity that could work great for this very reason. Bus system could still work..barring fiasco like Eagle's concert few years back where people were literally freezing waiting for City transit buses that weren't operating.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:45 PM

One can use a simple online amortization table to crunch numbers on this. In order to pay for itself with 500,000 per year attendance to major events, a $200 million arena would need to add a $24 facility fee to every event (including Blades games). This assumes a 30 year amortization at 4%. That is not sustainable. You would therefor need government and municipal grants to bring that down to about $5/ticket. The Riders are charging $12 to pay for Mosaic.

Based on the Province's precedent formula they would contribute 30% or $60 million, but only if their finances turn around (which will take at least 4 years).

The other issue is that $200 million will get you an arena that is smaller than SaskTel few luxuries.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
too many letters from the blue-haired people lol......
lol sorry i'm kind of a newb around here. Can you explain the reference?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
lol sorry i'm kind of a newb around here. Can you explain the reference?
elderly folks. just throwing a joke around saying they probly cancelled the project because of the high stacks of letters from the elderly from that area saying that this project is a bad idea.

i wonder why they cancelled it? arent we trying to "infill" better? was the previous post a while back " too toronto for saskatoon" the reason why

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
elderly folks. just throwing a joke around saying they probly cancelled the project because of the high stacks of letters from the elderly from that area saying that this project is a bad idea.

i wonder why they cancelled it? arent we trying to "infill" better? was the previous post a while back " too toronto for saskatoon" the reason why

Ohhh jeez ya I should have known lol. The property manager I spoke to sounded rather annoyed that I was asking about it. She basically told me to go fly a kite. Who knows, private owners and devs have no obligation to talk about it, so maybe they're just keeping the information private for now. I'm gonna cross my fingers and still hope for the best.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:

Same reason that most project don't proceed. The numbers simply didn't work. Cost to build was going to be too high for them to generate an acceptable return.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:21 PM
Registered Geek

I heard an interesting rumour that the two new build Brown's Social Houses have pulled out both building supplies and new equipment from these two locations and a notice offering a sub-lease posted. Anyone got anything on that situation?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I heard an interesting rumour that the two new build Brown's Social Houses have pulled out both building supplies and new equipment from these two locations and a notice offering a sub-lease posted. Anyone got anything on that situation?
The current brown's up and running in the city or the one's that are about to open?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I'm out in Kensington and the Browns location was done building and ready to move into early this winter. There has been zero activity at that location. No insight into Browns itself but I'm doubting we'll see them open, got too big too fast I think.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:47 PM

Aren't they franchises, maybe its just a local thing because of the economy, is this happening in other cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan