HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:33 PM
BANNED

so they've completely blocked off the north section off the north sidewalk on Broadway. don't most cities now have laws that keep sidewalks open during construciton? especially a busy one like this?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
so they've completely blocked off the north section off the north sidewalk on Broadway. don't most cities now have laws that keep sidewalks open during construciton? especially a busy one like this?
I hadn't noticed when I took this. But yeah, there it is. Lost the sidewalks with TNS though. Just got Graham back.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:51 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^When they said they were going to remove that homeless tent city there they weren't kidding.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:55 PM

I know the plan is mixed-income. Will some of those top floors be market rate? I could imagine it would be a pretty amazing location if you worked at GWL, and the renders of the little patios with trees look great

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:56 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I know the plan is mixed-income. Will some of those top floors be market rate? I could imagine it would be a pretty amazing location if you worked at GWL, and the renders of the little patios with trees look great
The breakdown is roughly 50-50 affordable units and market rent units, with 1/3 being accessible suites, 100% visitable. There is a handful of ‘premium’ suites.

The beauty of it is that there is no difference between an affordable suite and a market suite. The sizes and finishes are the same and they are randomly mixed through the building. There is no hierarchy – poor people on the bottom, rich people on the top. If someone who is receiving rent assist no longer qualifies, they don’t have to find a new place to live, like they usually do, their suite just becomes market rent and another in the building switches to become affordable to maintain the overall ratio. The magic of it being mixed is that the building can skirt the modesty requirements for affordable housing, which ensures affordable housing doesn’t look too nice, has lower quality finishes, smaller windows, etc. (which is quite unbelievable).

The large ninth floor terrace is the building common area, so every resident has access to a great view and communal space. Even though this is a high rent location in the building, it was felt that to build community and ensure that the public spaces are used, the best location was high up overlooking the legislature.

Its an amazing building program, amazing client. The province should fund 50 of these.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The breakdown is roughly 50-50 affordable units and market rent units, with 1/3 being accessible suites, 100% visitable. There is a handful of ‘premium’ suites.

The beauty of it is that there is no difference between an affordable suite and a market suite. The sizes and finishes are the same and they are randomly mixed through the building. There is no hierarchy – poor people on the bottom, rich people on the top. If someone who is receiving rent assist no longer qualifies, they don’t have to find a new place to live, like they usually do, their suite just becomes market rent and another in the building switches to become affordable to maintain the overall ratio. The magic of it being mixed is that the building can skirt the modesty requirements for affordable housing, which ensures affordable housing doesn’t look too nice, has lower quality finishes, smaller windows, etc. (which is quite unbelievable).

The large ninth floor terrace is the building common area, so every resident has access to a great view and communal space. Even though this is a high rent location in the building, it was felt that to build community and ensure that the public spaces are used, the best location was high up overlooking the legislature.

Its an amazing building program, amazing client. The province should fund 50 of these.
"modesty requirements"... that's fascinating. Says something about our culture, that to provide assisted living for some people we must not build a building that makes it appear as though they are living too high on the hog. At least that's how I interpret this.

MB housing buildings look dreadful, I imagine it's quite stigmatizing to have to live there. Seems like a super effective way to make people feel like they are second class.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:07 PM
There is always a way

^ I know a guy who is spearheading a project for a seniors residence for our community and we've spoken a bunch about this. They went to the province and to MB housing a bunch of times and it's exactly how Vike describes it. They wanted some subsidies to keep seniors living in the community and ensure that they could have a nice place to do so etc that wouldn't break the bank. They were rejected a number of times mostly on the grounds of the suites being too big (something about a max of like 600sqft or something of that nature), the finishes being too nice, and the windows also being too big. Also they wanted to include indoor parking but the province thought this was too fancy to give to people looking for affordable units as well. Now the project I'm talking about is stuck in limbo because they're looking to do it as a co-op and the bank won't finance them without 100% presales/commitments.

Anyways, I do agree, why can't we give people affordable housing that looks nice? It might actually inspire some people to keep their places nice, and from the sounds of all the MB Housing horror anecdotes, that's something we could really use.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post

Anyways, I do agree, why can't we give people affordable housing that looks nice? It might actually inspire some people to keep their places nice, and from the sounds of all the MB Housing horror anecdotes, that's something we could really use.
That is exactly what many housing advocates say. Living in dingy-looking public housing is just a constant message of worthlessness to people who happen to need support for a variety of reasons. Nice to see this project shows how affordable housing can be done better.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:16 AM

https://twitter.com/B_MayesSTV/statu...347973633?s=20

Quote:
West Broadway Commons gets federal help
Fund contributes $25.6M to project
By: Caitlyn Gowriluk Posted: 08/7/2019 7:23 PM

s construction vehicles clattered and squealed in the background, a small group of people gathered behind the All Saints’ Anglican Church on Wednesday afternoon to celebrate the mixed-income rental housing project that will soon rise up where there is now just a hole in the ground.

The West Broadway Commons will feature 110 new homes in the community, 56 of which will be affordable housing units.

The project received $25.6 million in federal funds through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s national housing co-investment fund. The City of Winnipeg also contributed $250,000 through its housing rehabilitation investment reserve.

The project was the result of more than four years of work, and began to take shape when members of the All Saints’ Anglican Church realized the hall behind the church was in dire need of costly upgrades.

"We faced an impossibly high cost to put it back in shape," said Sandi Mielitz, vice-chair of the church’s building committee.

Instead, they decided to look into the possibility of repurposing the land.

"We wanted to be involved in a project which did not lose money, but had a strong social and environmental component. It had to contribute to the quality of life in West Broadway," Mielitz said.

The church received many serious proposals for commercial spaces, but Mielitz said only one submission pitched the idea of affordable, accessible and environmentally conscious housing units: the University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0.

Mielitz said the support behind the project, which is expected to be complete by December 2020, shows just how many ways thoughtful design and development can benefit communities.

"What truly is the highest and best use for a piece of land? We quickly think about financial terms, return on investment," she said. "But if we care about our future and the health of our society, we need to broaden this definition."

David Wilson, chair of the church’s building committee, said the housing project could provide ideas to other cities across Canada as they look at possible solutions to housing instability.

"We need more projects like this across the country to fill that missing gap for people that need suitable housing to live in," Wilson said. "This is a prime example of that."

Winnipeg Centre MP Robert-Falcon Ouellette said the project shows what a community as determined as the one in West Broadway can accomplish.

"We’re all passionate about our city, and we all share common goals of ensuring that everyone has access to safe, affordable and stable housing," Ouellette said. "That’s why we are here today."

Ouelette said all common areas in the building will meet universal accessible design standards, and 33 of its units will be fully accessible. The housing development will also meet an energy rating 30 per cent better than what’s required by the National Energy Building Code.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...526453271.html

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:50 AM

Ready by December 2020 – quick turnaround.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:33 PM

I am glad to see this project moving along. I was privy to conversation the other day however where someone was saying that Agape Table moving out of that little hall is the moment people are going to look back on and say 'that was when gentrification hit West Broadway.'

I couldn't help but think (after having lived in Austin TX from 2009-2014) hmm, I don't think 'gentrification' is quite the right word to use here.

I have found some research by Jennifer Logan and Marc Vachon saying the G word is for sure happening in West Broadway, but to my mind, the area is still a little too rough around the edges for most people. I don't even have a solid definition of gentrification either, just a feeling that it has to do with people moving into an area because of some hipster cache...

What do you guys think, is West Broadway gettin gentrified?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:22 PM

A lot of people say gentrification when any new building is going up in a mature, generally lower-income neighbourhood. As if they want and expect it to stay stagnant ad infinitum.

To me, gentrification is when a low-income or run down area starts getting a ton of new/redevelopment that begins to displace a lot of its (sometimes marginalized) residents. This is not happening in WB, and certainly not with this projects. Most of the recent new residential builds in WB have been on vacant or un(der)utilized commercial properties – have yet to see many (if any) low income housing torn down to make way for mid-high prices residences.

On top of that, there is still a TON of low-income, cheap, or subsidized housing in the area. And this project specifically has a large "affordable" component, and isn't replacing existing housing.

I think about the only area in Winnipeg you could slap the gentrification label on is the Exchange, as there's been some developments that have displaced cheap artists residences – although several of those were illegal. Even in the Exchange, most of the residential (re)development has been to abandoned or mostly empty commercial buildings.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 5:44 AM
surely you agree with me

I can’t wait for the day when we need to have a legitimate discussion about what to do about gentrification in an inner city neighborhood in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
As long as you can cross to a sidewalk on the other side of street there is no problem. Barricades and warning signs to be as shown in the Winnipeg Manual of Temporary Traffic Control on City Streets.

Years ago I do remember having plywood construction hording on the sidewalks to keep them open, but I have not seen those for years. I wonder if its a workplace health thing where there is a concern of falling objects punching through the wood roof of the hording.

I have seen pictures of old sea shipping containers being modified (side openings cut in for light/visibility) for sidewalk hoarding but never seen this used in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:10 PM

There are numerous construction projects in downtown/adjacent areas right now that have the hoarding over the sidewalk, it's definitely still often used. Probably depends on how close the construction comes to the sidewalk, if the building is being built to the street edge, would be pretty difficult to keep the sidewalk open.

Just off the top of my head, WAG, 433 Main, 300 Main, Warehouse 1885, NewPort Center all have protective hoarding up over the sidewalk currently.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There are numerous construction projects in downtown/adjacent areas right now that have the hoarding over the sidewalk, it's definitely still often used. Probably depends on how close the construction comes to the sidewalk, if the building is being built to the street edge, would be pretty difficult to keep the sidewalk open.

Just off the top of my head, WAG, 433 Main, 300 Main, Warehouse 1885, NewPort Center all have protective hoarding up over the sidewalk currently.
Newport I drive along every day leaving work and only see the blocking fencing on Hargrave. They must have hording over the main entry door on the Portage Side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:50 PM

^Yup. Oddly, that fencing on the Hargrave side was up long before the construction started, so I'm not sure if something else had/has been going on there as well. Maybe precautions from the Skywalk renos?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Yup. Oddly, that fencing on the Hargrave side was up long before the construction started, so I'm not sure if something else had/has been going on there as well. Maybe precautions from the Skywalk renos?
From when I worked for a company that was in Newport in the late 1970's-to fall 1980, there is space (I can't recall the proper name) under the sidewalk along Hargrave and I think to the Portage Ave sidewalk line that back then was sketchy but used for storage.

I know that part of what is now blocked off on Hargrave had a smaller fence around an external opening into that area where the concrete was missing.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Should change the title to U/C.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan