HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:17 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Saskatoon Ring Road 2.0 (Proposed)

The full study’s here: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...riefing-1.html. Credits to Wyku for sharing the link.

Lately there’s been some fuzz about the proposed new ring road around Saskatoon. Any thoughts, updates, just jot them down here.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:16 PM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,137
Well ... Regina has the bi-pass now so why not Saskatoon ?
I would be excited to see it built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:04 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
The idea of going through the swale really turns me off this time though. I need to carefully go through all the pictures to see what amends can be made.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 8:42 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Pride is our downfall
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Well ... Regina has the bi-pass now so why not Saskatoon ?
I would be excited to see it built.
Because, like Regina’s, it would be a costly mistake to do in a province hard up for cash as it is? Because of the swale, I would say it would be even more costly than Regina’s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:35 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The idea of going through the swale really turns me off this time though. I need to carefully go through all the pictures to see what amends can be made.
Doesn't I-75 go through the Everglades? Going through this swale area should be easy by comparison.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:40 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Doesn't I-75 go through the Everglades? Going through this swale area should be easy by comparison.
It does. In fact, some of the freeways in Ontario go through wetlands too. It doesn’t mean that’s the right thing to do though. Like I said, I need to take a look at all the pictures first.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:41 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It does. In fact, some of the freeways in Ontario go through wetlands too. It doesn’t mean that’s the right thing to do though. Like I said, I need to take a look at all the pictures first.
My point is that it can be done without causing damage. There are plenty of examples of such roads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:48 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
I was just reading this (which was from the 90’s): https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sun-...story,amp.html.

I guess it’s possible. We’ll see.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:50 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,841
Don't want it. Don't need it. The Saskatoon Freeway, along with the Regina Bypass, are F tier stupidity.

A diagusting and shameful waste of money.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:41 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Pride is our downfall
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
My point is that it can be done without causing damage. There are plenty of examples of such roads.
You really think a highway in Florida, a state that has banned the use of the phrase “climate change”, didn’t cause ecological damage?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:54 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You really think a highway in Florida, a state that has banned the use of the phrase “climate change”, didn’t cause ecological damage?
Wow. They actually ban that term, as well as "global warming".

And yet so many Canadians still want to strive to be like 'Murca
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 4:30 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Wow. They actually ban that term, as well as "global warming".

And yet so many Canadians still want to strive to be like 'Murca
I was a bit skeptical too.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:17 AM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Don't want it. Don't need it. The Saskatoon Freeway, along with the Regina Bypass, are F tier stupidity.

A diagusting and shameful waste of money.
I partly agree. It's no less important to put money towards education, health care and other modes of transportation. Good work on one of the BRT routes (not so much the other one because there will be no dedicated bus lanes).

Keeping the flow of goods uninterrupted is also important though. I'm guessing Saskatoon has grown to the point that Circle Drive's no longer cutting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that there are 2 major trade corridors crossing Saskatoon - the 11 from Prince Albert to Regina (then to the states via 6 & 39, which is another topic), and the 16 across the Prairies. If MHI wanna keep goods flowing well on both routes, what's a good (if not the best) way to do it? A ring from Yellowhead west to Yellowhead east. (I don't think the southeastern portion of the ring is needed - eliminating the at-grade intersections on the Yellowhead and upgrading the 11/16 interchange in the south-end will do.)

=====

Seriously though, alternative 4? That's like giving commuters from Martensville and Warman a big middle finger. Just because we will have a ring road, it doesn't mean we can now revert the roads leading in and out of the city back to 2 lanes. If anything, we need to have an overpass over 71st Street then an interchange with Marquis Drive. The same applies to Highway 16 west as well.

As for the Swale issue, I think MHI should just tunnel that section of the outer ring road to preserve it.

Link: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:48 PM
Wyku Wyku is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Seriously though, alternative 4? That's like giving commuters from Martensville and Warman a big middle finger. Just because we will have a ring road, it doesn't mean we can now revert the roads leading in and out of the city back to 2 lanes. If anything, we need to have an overpass over 71st Street then an interchange with Marquis Drive. The same applies to Highway 16 west as well.
The way they're so heavily weighting the Wanuskewin Rd. connection is really baffling--what was it, 52% of traffic flows that way? So lets just ignore the other 48% that doesn't? I don't get the desire to pair down the Idylwyld 4-lane connections to 2-lanes either--besides destroying the Highway 11 traffic flow, everyone coming into/out of the city on the #12 (which there is already a lot of and would only be more by the time this thing is build, if ever) no longer will with the freeway in place or something? It would go from a 4-lane highway to a 2-lane overpass to a 4-lane freeway...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:29 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 722
Not really ring road news but same pile

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ortheast-swale
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:57 PM
Pardot Kynes Pardot Kynes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The full study’s here: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...riefing-1.html. Credits to Wyku for sharing the link.

Lately there’s been some fuzz about the proposed new ring road around Saskatoon. Any thoughts, updates, just jot them down here.
That study only looks at routing options for the freeway. There is no information on when the freeway might actually be needed, or if it is even the most effective solution.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 10:58 PM
Dengler Avenue's Avatar
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is offline
Highway Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,642
Even if not now, we will need it later, so it’s probably good to at least reserve the ROW right now. Otherwise, the city grows too big, and the cheapest option will be to actually demolish every single property abutting Circle Drive and converting it to a real freeway. I mean, personally I’m not against this option.
__________________
On s'casse, on s'cache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:57 AM
Corndogger Corndogger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Even if not now, we will need it later, so it’s probably good to at least reserve the ROW right now. Otherwise, the city grows too big, and the cheapest option will be to actually demolish every single property abutting Circle Drive and converting it to a real freeway. I mean, personally I’m not against this option.
Reserving the ROW now is a no-brainer. The large TUCs (transportation utility corridors) that the Alberta government setup around Edmonton and Calgary decades ago have helped immensely in minimizing expropriation costs for the 216 and 201, respectively.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.