HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 4:03 PM

They seem to be confused of what their goal is... one day it's "stop clearing the trees" the next day it's "we should have been given this land."

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They seem to be confused of what their goal is... one day it's "stop clearing the trees" the next day it's "we should have been given this land."
Whatever is the best NIMBY line on any given day, really. I could live with a compromise that sees the SWBRT route revert to the original Pembina Highway alignment, although I realize that's probably just wishful thinking at this point.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:42 PM

Crescent Park Forest Pavilion wins Gov-Gen’s Medal in Architecture

Quote:
The Crescent Drive Park Forest Pavilion was awarded the Governor General’s Medal in Architecture.

"This pavilion is a space that redraws the forest," a jury of five said in a statement.

The public washroom, warming shelter and gathering space was designed to meet FEMA standards for floodable structures. Public City Architecture Inc. created the structure.

The $1.2 million project is visible throughout the park and dissolves "day to night from a wooden form to a lantern-like void," according to a Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) write-up online.

"This is the highest honour that we could achieve in our country, and it doesn’t fall on us lightly," said Peter Sampson, Public City Architecture’s principal architect.

The studio practices in Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta. It designed crokicurl at The Forks, the University of Winnipeg’s Buhler Centre and the washroom boxes at Assiniboine Park, among other things.

"It’s a real honour for us to represent Winnipeg," Sampson said. "We have a very exciting design community here, and any number of firms here… could win a medal."

The RAIC and the Canadian Council for the Arts announced the awards on Monday.

Forest Pavilion is like "a porch light in the forest.

"An archetypal Canadian pavilion in the forest, it creates a microcosm in its interior courtyard," the jury noted.

Jury members include the University of Montreal’s architecture school director and architects across the globe.

Forest Pavilion is one of 12 structures to earn the prestigious award this year. Others include a reimagined theatre in Stratford, Ont. and an Indigenous residential school history and dialogue centre in Vancouver.

Forest Pavilion is the only recipient from the prairies. It and the Vancouver centre are the sole representatives from western Canada.

"The projects represented in this year’s recipients… illustrate design excellence in a variety of building typologies," John Brown, the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada’s president, said in a news release.

Each project in "enlivening and enriching," enabling learning and growth, he said.

- Staff
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576571932.html

I haven't been out to Crescent Drive Park in a while so I haven't seen this myself yet, but that is an impressive accolade.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 3:49 PM

Congratulations to those involved. From the pictures it is a beautiful looking building. I'm rarely down there but I will make a point of visiting it now.

I appreciated Mr. Bozikovic's article regarding the architecture of "public" buildings yesterday:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...chitecture-is/

Twitter thread as well:

https://twitter.com/alexbozikovic/st...90677817790465

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan