HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:53 PM

So after all that hype about funnelators is it seriously going to be just a one-and-done deal?!?!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:25 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Perhaps they'll have one funnelating away in between the TNS buildings. The site looks like it could use some funnelation.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Perhaps they'll have one funnelating away in between the TNS buildings. The site looks like it could use some funnelation.
I was kind of thinking that the SHED's overall funnelation levels are running perilously low.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:22 PM

They announced like two years ago they cancelled plans for more as the first one had a lot of issues in the beginning. I for one really like them even though many here didn't – adds a touch of modern tech "coolness" to the area and is very distinctive. With Winnipeg slowly becoming a tech hub, I think they're a perfect fit. Plus the plans they had for some to be little kiosks, or more "useful" than just video screens, it'd be awesome, especially when considering all the new developments along Graham. Grab a coffee at the bus stop!

The bigger question around all this is are they going to continue the SHED design all the way along Graham? And when will the rest of the streets actually in the SHED get the treatment? It's a brutal mix of styles right now. Classic black design on Portage (with horribly out of place unpainted poles on the median) awkwardly transitions to new SHED lighting, then on some streets to really old green poles, into 90s Transit style on Graham (which I for one still love).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They announced like two years ago they cancelled plans for more as the first one had a lot of issues in the beginning. I for one really like them even though many here didn't – adds a touch of modern tech "coolness" to the area and is very distinctive.
I like the concept, but the execution wasn't quite good enough.

When they were projecting images rather than patterns, they were little more than blobs and blurs. The resolution isn't good enough. If they're using standard definition projectors, they needed to go HD. If they're using HD, they need 4K. Even when projecting random patterns.

Thanks to the consumer market, that's a problem that could quickly and inexpensively sort itself out soon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:37 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
The funnelator has a white plastic tarp covering the top, I assume to ensure water and snow don't damage the electronics. Certainly takes away from the "cool" factor.
Can they do that for the WT electronic schedule signs?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 4:37 PM

I find the changing of video from one design to the next pretty awkward. Would be better if it was just a seamless video with a loop that you couldn't tell where it started and ended.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 8:32 PM

^Agreed, or really they should just have longer loop times before switching to the next design.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 11:55 PM

Early TNS concept art: Peak funnelation

http://downtownwinnipegtrends.com

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:47 PM
What could go wrong?

I must have no style because I seem to be the only one who likes it. I feel that downtown needs way more art. Most will likely say these aren't art but I feel it livens up the drab brown entrance to the library. I was just in midtown Atlanta for NFL and they had colour, art and lights everywhere.

....oh well
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:53 PM

I don't mind it either, I was just poking fun at all the hype for what is basically the bastard child of an ice cream cone and a jumbotron. I like the streetscaping on the sidewalks immediately adjacent to MTS Centre and I wouldn't mind seeing it spread out throughout the SHED, including a couple more funnelators (and not just the decorative kind, but a kiosk or two as well).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:20 PM

Something like New York City did with their payphones. They replaced them with WiFi kiosks offering free wifi, phone charging, information etc. Selling sponsorship so the city actually makes money from them.

If you make them vibrant and decorative, it would create a functional and attractive space.

Contrary to popular belief, Payphones are still widely used (here anyway, maybe not in New York) but a few key locations downtown for these kiosks would be cool.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:38 PM

Resurrecting this zombie.

Funnelators aside, has the city/BIZ given up on actually finishing the SHED off with its distinct lighting and streetscaping elements? The SHED stuff is nice, but when it's only on random unlinked blocks it looks ridiculous. Construction around there and on Graham the last two years has yielded losing the nice black transit lighting to the same shit unpainted steel as everywhere else. The SHED design should be throughout the SHED, and I'd like to see it for all of Graham as well.

I love the backlit street signs. Funnleators aside, I wish we also didn't lose the funky shaped traffic lights. Sigh.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 10:58 PM

^ You are right, the City got off to a good start with the SHED streetscaping elements but then just kind of dropped the ball. Not sure if they ran out of money for it, or got distracted, or what, but it is quite a mishmash of styles around there. It's not as good as it could be.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 6:03 PM

That's overly polite – it's a disaster. Also not sure why Hydro engineers are making decisions on street light decoration/style and not someone at the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan