HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How old are you?
Under 20 2 2.35%
20's 13 15.29%
30's 31 36.47%
40's 21 24.71%
50's 12 14.12%
60's 4 4.71%
70+ 2 2.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Zaxx
Scandals
Monty's
U4ia
Bullwinkles
Wise Guys
The Palladium
The A

Last but not least...NO Cell phones!
U4ia / Club Soda.

First bar i ever was in, under age waa Strawberries lol. But spent the majority of my time at Club Soda/U4ia and Scandles. 10 cents draft !

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Got you all beat it seems. Just turned 57.

I doubt that any of my haunts from my one year at the UofM (1981) are still around anymore.
The Maryland Hotel?
UMZOO?
57 this summer

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
In my 50's (54) and thought River and myself were the only old farts in here!
Im sure grouchy and negative Urban Recluse is that one person who chose 70, so you are just a young fry still lol

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:52 PM
What could go wrong?

I went to:

Club Soda - Night Moves
Scandals
Strawberries
Monty's
The A
Wise Guys
The Roxy
Bullwinkles - ?

What were the Garden City Canad bars called - before Silverados?

It was a live rock bar and dance bar combo like the Windsor Park Canad - Club Soda and Night Moves.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 6:54 PM

Taboo is where Zaxx was, now its a tavern i think.

if silverados location was an actual bar back then, i did not go to it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Yup, just remembered GC Canad had Club Taboo and the Diamond Club. Zaxx and Silverados came after.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:04 PM

haha, yes Diamond club.

much older crowd for me back then.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Got you all beat it seems. Just turned 57.

I doubt that any of my haunts from my one year at the UofM (1981) are still around anymore.
The Maryland Hotel?
UMZOO?
My first underage drinking experience in a bar was in the old Maryland Hotel bar. A rough place with strippers, as I recall.

A few years back a new standalone bar and beer vendor was built at the south end of the Maryland Hotel parking lot. Never ventured inside the new place.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 PM

I remember the radio commercials for "Zaxx on Jefferson". A bit before my time I think but do remember the parking lot was packed and people were parking across the st at safeway.

Anyone remember when the bar smoking ban came into affect? It was within a couple of years after I turned 18 I believe, think I only went to the bar once while smoking was allowed and couldn't handle it. Didn't go back until they banned smoking.

Last edited by cheswick; Jan 9, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:29 PM

^ The year I turned 18 I spent a good chunk of my weekend nights at Zaxx on Jefferson. What was I thinking?

IIRC in Brandon, there was a bar named "Yaxx" or something like that (out on West Victoria), teenage me thought it was the funniest thing ever when I stumbled upon it.

I don't remember exactly when the smoking ban kicked in, but those of you too young to remember smoking in bars should consider yourselves lucky. It's hard to overstate just how foul the air was at the clubs. You'd come home and your clothes would just absolutely reek of smoke. I don't even want to think about the effects of the second-hand smoke.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The year I turned 18 I spent a good chunk of my weekend nights at Zaxx on Jefferson. What was I thinking?

IIRC in Brandon, there was a bar named "Yaxx" or something like that (out on West Victoria), teenage me thought it was the funniest thing ever when I stumbled upon it.

I don't remember exactly when the smoking ban kicked in, but those of you too young to remember smoking in bars should consider yourselves lucky. It's hard to overstate just how foul the air was at the clubs. You'd come home and your clothes would just absolutely reek of smoke. I don't even want to think about the effects of the second-hand smoke.
I dont remember a time in Manitoba when smoking was allowed indoors, but I lived in Germany for a while where it is still legal and many pubs still allow it. Most clubs too. It was really rough when I'd just want to enjoy a beer I'd also have to deal with the smoke. That's just the cost of being social out there unfortunately.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:

Yea the next day you would smell like an ash tray.

i remember going to Sam the record man (mid 80's) in Unicity Mall with my dad and the employees smoking in the store behind the cash register LOL

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Yea the next day you would smell like an ash tray.

i remember going to Sam the record man (mid 80's) in Unicity Mall with my dad and the employees smoking in the store behind the cash register LOL
In retrospect, it's bonkers how widespread smoking was, even as recently as the 80s. Planes, hospitals, restaurants, you name it. I remember going to my elementary school's break room with my teacher to photocopy something and a bunch of teachers were just sitting there puffing away, under a cloud of smoke. Unimaginable now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Club Strawberry on a sunday night was great.

Albert street had an Underground (literately) reggae club called whispers.

Times had great drink specials

Richards American Bar on portage

Opium night club had 2 floors, actually quite nice inside but not too packed.

I was quite a bar start in the 90's
That was before my time. Richards American Bar had changed to the Aztec by the time I became of age. It flopped. Was "Whispers" in the Wellington? I went there once when it was called the Crypt. Also frequented the Royal Albert Arms on occasion.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:27 PM

I think its the same as the Crypt. Its in the block of 52 Albert rite across from the parkade, you entered and immediately went down some stairs to the basement.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I think its the same as the Crypt. Its in the block of 52 Albert rite across from the parkade, you entered and immediately went down some stairs to the basement.
That sounds like Wellington's, in the basement of the St. Charles Hotel. I never went in there, but I remember when it was in full swing in the late '90s, particularly on goth nights.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Remember my mom telling me to hang my clothes outside to air out after a night at the bar back in the smoke days, truly disgusting!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 9:37 PM

Smoking ban must've been right around 2004.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I'm 61, retired moments after I turned 60. Underage we went to the Big K, Brier and Concord. After 18 any place that had live music, and there were so many - Black Night, Norlander, Lincoln, NorVilla. We would follow bands wherever they went. My first date with my wife was at the Norlander to see Harlequin.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 10:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I dont remember a time in Manitoba when smoking was allowed indoors, but I lived in Germany for a while where it is still legal and many pubs still allow it. Most clubs too. It was really rough when I'd just want to enjoy a beer I'd also have to deal with the smoke. That's just the cost of being social out there unfortunately.
We honeymooned in Innsbruck Austria in early 1985. It was surprising how everyone smoked in clubs, and I mean everyone. Their cigs were particularly stinky too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan