HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 1:57 PM

^100% agree

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:44 PM

From Gillingham's comments today:

“It’s time to deal with Portage and Main once and for all, and move on to more important issues like improving traffic flow throughout the rest of the city, redesigning our new transit network and interesting in new recreation facilities in growing neighbourhoods.”

Seriously, I could not have said it better myself. As much as I've been an Open P&M booster, the endless animosity it created was wearing extremely thin. We received some pretty negative national attention for the debate and it's outcome. For me it'll be a relief to see it settled.

Gillingham also said;

“The issue has consumed so much time and energy over the years, but it’s just an intersection...”

I don't know if it's "just" an intersection, at least in local mythology, but yeah, being able to drive through one intersection within the traffic pattern.

Traffic will survive, people will still get where they're going and, hopefully, our iconic intersection will get spruced up to something we can all enjoy, whether walking it or driving through it.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:53 PM

Just build skywalks and add them to the network.

The skywalk system might be the only smart thing Winnipeg has done from an infrastructure standpoint.

Protects from weather, grade separates traffic, eliminates lights, eliminates accident potential, increases pedestrian capacity. And they don't cost a ton either. Brilliant honestly.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:13 PM

Recommended Vision Renderings

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:33 PM

So they want to cram cars, AND pedestrians, AND not only a transit station, but a major transfer hub....

.... Into an already overcrammed intersection?

Stop the dogpile development. Spread it out! Does anyone in this city know how to think laterally? This "trying to be something for everyone" mentality means everyone gets nothing. Or everyone is left with nothing because it costs so much.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Where is this from? Looks aesthetically pleasing but it also looks busy. Maybe scrambles once every light cycle would be a happy balance. N-S busses, N-S cars, E-W busses, E-W cars, pedestrians, repeat.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:11 PM

^ love, love, love all of this design and anyone that doesnt should be publicly flogged! (at P&M)

only thing I have concern about is the trees, not many survive our sand/salt and exhaust. all for it if they can figure that out

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Where is this from? Looks aesthetically pleasing but it also looks busy. Maybe scrambles once every light cycle would be a happy balance. N-S busses, N-S cars, E-W busses, E-W cars, pedestrians, repeat.
Recommended Vision Renderings

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

The skywalk system might be the only smart thing Winnipeg has done from an infrastructure standpoint.

Protects from weather, grade separates traffic, eliminates lights, eliminates accident potential, increases pedestrian capacity. And they don't cost a ton either. Brilliant honestly.
Eliminates street level activity. Eliminates street level business. Eliminates vibrancy of downtown.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:10 PM

I'd like to think that the prospect of increased foot traffic, planned BRT access and some aesthetic upgrades to P & M will give a positive bump to some of the projects in the area. I'm thinking mainly of the decorative elements to the MMF/old Bank of Montreal building, upgrades to the Fairmont, and maybe even progress on 138 Portage Ave.

Yeah, it's wishful thinking. While I'm dreaming I'd love to see the empty lot at 416 Main Street transformed before I'm planted. Twelve years ago there were apparently plans for a hotel on that site. Would the market justify looking at that again?

DISCLAIMER: BELOW IS AN ARTICLE FROM 2013, JUST FOR REFERENCE. It ain't happening as far as I know.

https://winnipegsun.com/2013/06/24/d...n-tower-emerge

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:31 PM

201 Portage and Richardson concourse have had lots improvements and millions dumped into them, all public spaces, opening things up will be all that much better

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I'd like to think that the prospect of increased foot traffic, planned BRT access and some aesthetic upgrades to P & M will give a positive bump to some of the projects in the area. I'm thinking mainly of the decorative elements to the MMF/old Bank of Montreal building, upgrades to the Fairmont, and maybe even progress on 138 Portage Ave.

Yeah, it's wishful thinking. While I'm dreaming I'd love to see the empty lot at 416 Main Street transformed before I'm planted. Twelve years ago there were apparently plans for a hotel on that site. Would the market justify looking at that again?

DISCLAIMER: BELOW IS AN ARTICLE FROM 2013, JUST FOR REFERENCE. It ain't happening as far as I know.

https://winnipegsun.com/2013/06/24/d...n-tower-emerge
Had no idea this was supposed to be a thing. Would have been awesome.

Btw, I did a little google on 416 Main, here's what was lost for a parking lot. https://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/mcintyreblock.shtml

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:03 PM

Well if Portage and Main is going to live up to being truly iconic, something big has to happen to it. Skywalks aren't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:26 PM

I guess 416 Main would be best used for a building, but if not, it could be used as a plaza or something as part of a revitalized Portage & Main. I often think about Campus Martius in Detroit (a place I've visited numerous times in recent years) and how vibrant a public square that has become, with a restaurant, seating area, skating rink in the winter, etc. That could fit well in that spot.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:32 PM

Truly kills me when I see buildings like the McIntyre and then discover they were demolished on a careless whim.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
It’s time for a scramble crossing. Portage and Main should be the cities Shibuya or Yonge/Dundas. Not the compete joke it currently is.
Younge/Dundas is one lane in each direction. As extremely low volume intersection. Apples and oranges.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:43 PM

I wonder what happens to the Winnipeg Square shops for business people? Will they setup a building on Graham and Garry or just not replace them? As people will need a barber, shoe shines and a place to buy a suit or dress.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I wonder what happens to the Winnipeg Square shops for business people? Will they setup a building on Graham and Garry or just not replace them? As people will need a barber, shoe shines and a place to buy a suit or dress.
Commercial vacancy is currently at about 19% in Winnipeg. The businesses from the concourse will either close shop or find a new location, not any different than any other business.

When asking questions like this, it helps to understand that this is not normal, it's actually an anomaly. All you have to do is look at literally any other intersection to see how businesses, vehicles, and pedestrians all get along.

Again, the existing situation is the anomaly, not the other way around. Solutions exist for any question that'll come out of this exercise to correct the abomination that is the closing of P+M.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
None of that is happening now, so not a loss. Also, the basement businesses under the Richardson, 201 Portage, and in Winnipeg Square aren't a part of this. Do people even know what's in the concourse? It's a couple convenience/dollar stores.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 7:16 PM

Quote:
theres no barber, shoe shine or clothing stores down there. there lots empty stores and otherwise banks, insurance, dollar stores,and restaurants. it will be tougher / inconvenient to get to some from one building to the next without bundling up in winter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan