HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What's under construction across London right now?
Several apartment buildings downtown and around the outside of town. Masses of subdivisions. Maple Leaf Foods is spending half a billion on a new plant in the south. Some industrial expansions in the east. A new commercial area right at the main 401 exit is slowly being worked on (was supposed to have an IKEA, but that is up in the air now, which is slowing the work on the rest of it).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:43 PM

Riverwalk by Tricar, 24 stories - is almost topped out
One Richmond by Old Oak, 32 stories - half way done
131 King West by York Developments, 32 stories - foundation is poured I believe
Centro by Old Oak, 40/29/9 stories - just got started a month ago
Plus a few other suburban projects

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 8:16 PM

Got some new stuff added in! I have added 455 Clarence Street and 667 Talbot Street. I thought about adding 97 King, but since existing buildings on-site have been recently renovated, it's probably safe to say that the proposal is going to be on hold for a long time. I have also added in One London Place P2 (255 Queen) for fun. Hopefully one day we will see movement on the second office tower, but I am confident that it won't happen for a very long time.

The list so far:
40 York
84-86 St. George
100 Fullarton
131 King
147 Wellington
195 Dundas
255 Queen
391 South
455 Clarence
505 Talbot
515 Richmond
556 Wellington
667 Talbot

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Nov 24, 2019 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:31 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Several apartment buildings downtown and around the outside of town. Masses of subdivisions. Maple Leaf Foods is spending half a billion on a new plant in the south. Some industrial expansions in the east. A new commercial area right at the main 401 exit is slowly being worked on (was supposed to have an IKEA, but that is up in the air now, which is slowing the work on the rest of it).
I need names of high rise developments. Excavation in this context counts as construction.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=87160222
What's missing or incorrect?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Nov 27, 2019 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:10 PM

455 Clarence is dead. Not going to happen with the current owner. Best bet will be if it is sold to a real developer. Given current projects on the plate of Tricar, York and Old Oak I would expect maybe someone else looking to get into game like Auburn, Medallion, Southside or a GTA developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Got some new stuff added in! I have added 455 Clarence Street and 667 Talbot Street. I thought about adding 97 King, but since existing buildings on-site have been recently renovated, it's probably safe to say that the proposal is going to be on hold for a long time. I have also added in One London Place P2 (255 Queen) for fun. Hopefully one day we will see movement on the second office tower, but I am confident that it won't happen for a very long time.

The list so far:
40 York
84-86 St. George
100 Fullarton
131 King
147 Wellington
195 Dundas
255 Queen
391 South
455 Clarence
505 Talbot
515 Richmond
556 Wellington
667 Talbot

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 12:19 AM

I've got another revision to my London skyline model. I've added 91 King, 435 Ridout, and 725 Dundas to the model. As more of these proposals come in, it's starting to paint a really nice image of what London could look like at the end of the decade. Hopefully more proposals come in that will break through the emerging height plateau.

The list so far:

40 York (1)
84-86 St. George (1)
91 King (1)
100 Fullarton (2)
131 King (1)
147 Wellington (1)
195 Dundas (3)
255 Queen (1)
391 South (2)
435 Ridout (1)
455 Clarence (1)
505 Talbot (1)
515 Richmond (1)
556 Wellington (2)
667 Talbot (1)
725 Dundas (1)

Total # of new buildings in skyline: 20

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Oct 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:40 PM

Super exciting to see that, thank you! The intersection with Azure and Centro is going to feel like a big city with that density.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 10:21 PM

I'm back with the newest revision for London. Since there hasn't been too much movement since my last skyline update, I have added some stale projects along with the others. I've added 150 Dundas, 183 King, 262 South, 805 Dundas, and 1067 Wellington. I hope some of the more stale proposals do eventually move along and help fill in the gaps in the skyline.

The list so far:

40 York (1)
84-86 St. George (1)
91 King (1)
100 Fullarton (2)
131 King (1)
147 Wellington (1)
150 Dundas (1)
183 King (1)
195 Dundas (3)
255 Queens (1)
262 South (2)
391 South (2)
435 Ridout (1)
455 Clarence (1)
505 Talbot (1)
515 Richmond (1)
556 Wellington (2)
667 Talbot (1)
725 Dundas (1)
805 Dundas (2)
1067 Wellington (5)

Total # of new buildings in skyline: 32

London Watermarked V5-1 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-2 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-3 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-4 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-5 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

London Watermarked V5-6 by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 3:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

excellent work. It will be exciting even if only half of them are built
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
excellent work. It will be exciting even if only half of them are built
Agreed, even if only half are built, it will still be transformative for the city. Every new tower adds to the momentum for growth. I hope we see more new proposals surface next year once the towers currently under construction are further along.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:31 PM

I think the second One London Place tower could probably be removed. That building was proposed something like 25 years ago. I doubt it is going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:08 PM
User Registered

I doubt any new office towers will be constructed in a long, long time with WFH (working from home) becoming more normalized post-pandemic.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:14 PM

Not being an engineer, I'm curious about whether all the footings and whatnot underground next to One London Place are still able to be used if a new tower was built there. I mean, I know they would be supporting a building all these years later, but I wonder if building codes have changed since.

If so, then I wonder if a residential tower there could be considered, given it's location which would probably be a pretty popular one. I recall that when the RCMP building was built at 130 Dufferin at Talbot, the foundation of it's twin to the north was put in at the same time. I don't recall how long it sat there, but at some point, the developer (I think it was Old Oak) decided to build 520 Talbot as a residential building. Because the foundation was done to be an office building, the residential building had to follow that footprint. I've been in a few of the units and they are pretty interesting layouts. Support columns in the unit, unequal dimensions. Residential is obviously hot downtown, so I wonder if Sifton has looked at this possibility. Especially if they are essentially able to start from ground level with little underground work having to be done.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:58 PM

I put the Two London Place Tower in for fun last year. I doubt there will be any new construction there for a very long time and I'm assuming anything that does get built there will be residential.

As for the foundation, they'd obviously have to do an assessment to tell, but typically they do seem to be usable. A good example of an old foundation being used is Place 10, a residential development under construction in Calgary, where work started on twin 14s office towers in 2013 and was halted, they were able to get one of the towers to the ground floor before stopping. The existing foundation will be used to support a 31s tower along with a 35s twin. Another example is the proposed 72s 6609 Stanley tower in Niagara Falls that appears to plan to use the old 30s Crowne Plaza Hotel foundation and podium that was abandoned in 2004. We'll see how this design evolves and if they do end up needing to build a different foundation for the tower.

Two London Place would have been 18s, and the foundation would be somewhere around 30 years old. This is much older than both the Place10 and 6609 Stanley examples, but foundations are quite robust since they aren't exposed to weathering elements. I suspect that they will be able to use it if they want to.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I doubt any new office towers will be constructed in a long, long time with WFH (working from home) becoming more normalized post-pandemic.
I agree. The only new office buildings I could see going up are smaller infill work/live kind of buildings or warehouse renovations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates