HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:53 AM

Had Lapo not used Strevler several times at 1st and 10 the score probably would not have been so close as Collaros was spot on today passing and the Riders clued into the Bombers trying to replicate the use of Stev like they did last week in the Calgary game.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:19 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It's the 9th straight time that Winnipeg has played Hamilton as the representative of the West in the Grey Cup, dating back to 1953. We last played Toronto in 1950 and Ottawa in 1941. There has never been a Winnipeg-Montreal Grey Cup.
That really is amazing

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Had Lapo not used Strevler several times at 1st and 10 the score probably would not have been so close as Collaros was spot on today passing and the Riders clued into the Bombers trying to replicate the use of Stev like they did last week in the Calgary game.
I keep seeing this narrative, all Lapo and no Osh, c'mon guys it's time he got a little credit, football is a three aspect game and somebody has to pull that together.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:34 AM

O'Shea is very good at special teams and trick play calls and motivating the team. Lapo and Richie Hall though are the brains behind the execution for this team.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:38 AM

Kyle Walters the Bombers GM doesn't get enough credit for rebuilding this Bomber team to where it is today winning 10 plus games 4 years in a row and having the best running attack in the CFL, a great trade deadline find in Collaros and a very good defense and a meat and potatoes no nonsense team that replicates the city of Winnipeg itself very well.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Lapo and Richie Hall though are the brains behind the execution for this team.
Did they get shit on when all those people jumped off the bandwagon a while back?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Did they get shit on when all those people jumped off the bandwagon a while back?
Richie Hall seems to get more flack here than Lapo but even Lapo gets a decent amount of flack here still. I think because of the 29 year drought fans are extremely frustrated and impatient so the coaches get more flack than what they deserve in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:57 AM

Rotten weather in Calgary now but the Cup on Sunday looks good. High of plus 8 and a mix of sun and cloud.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:51 AM

Will be interesting what sort of defense Hamilton uses compared to when they played the Bombers in the regular season when they did not have the aerial attack they do now with Collaros.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:19 PM

^ It's reassuring to know that for the first time in forever, the Bombers have a very balanced attack that can be adapted to suit the conditions. Stat-wise Hamilton is a slightly above average defense... not to take anything for granted, but I don't think they are going to be significantly harder for Collaros, Strev & co. to deal with than CGY/SSK, just that they're at a similar level.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:39 PM
There is always a way

^ Hamilton is a hungry team. They're definitely going to be the toughest test yet for the bombers. I'm optimistic since we have a better looking offence now than earlier in the season but it's not going to be easy. Certainly not like the west semifinal. Anyway, go blue, hope they can pull it off!!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:29 PM
Starring as himself

I just remember 1984, when Ralph-Dieter came out and stunned us with two quick TDs. Then the tables turned pretty decisively and finally we had the first GC in my lifetime.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:21 AM

Brock in an interview regretted asking to be traded from Winnipeg and leaving the CFL for the LA Rams as he saw the team Cal Murphy had assembled and knew he could have won 2 or 3 Grey Cups had he stuck around. Brock and Tom Clements were so different one the long bomb power qb the other a precision surgeon dissecting defenses like very few qb's could but both I would rate equally good and maybe the best qbs in the CFL from 1975 to 1987 after Warren Moon.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:25 AM

That was before my time but wouldn't Wilkinson rank alongside Moon? He was the starter for most of the Eskimos dynasty.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That was before my time but wouldn't Wilkinson rank alongside Moon? He was the starter for most of the Eskimos dynasty.
Wilky was more of a game manager like a Nichols or Kevin Glenn. Moon, Brock, Clements, and Holloway were the dominant qbs of the late 70's early 80's

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:44 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't think Wilkie was as talented an athlete but he was a very effective quarterback. Moon was the starter for the last 3 of the 5 Grey Cups only, as I recall, and yet people are always saying he led them to all 5. He wasn't that "dominant" ... he only won the Most Outstanding Player once, I think. I don't recollect everyone in Winnipeg when we had Brock desperately wishing we had Warren Moon instead. Which isn't to take anything away from Moon, but I think the fact that he was so successful stateside tends to make everyone think that he must have been in a league of his own in the CFL, which he definitely was not.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:03 AM

^ That's consistent with my impression... Based on what I've heard and read about that era, it seemed to me that Moon's accomplishments, as impressive as they were, were a bit overstated, possibly because of that NFL halo he had.

Did he actually start for 3 years of the 5 year Eskimo dynasty? I thought he only became the undisputed starter in the last year or two...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

I work at McMaster and I see a lot, including myself, wearing all black today. Oskee Wee Wee!!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I work at McMaster and I see a lot, including myself, wearing all black today. Oskee Wee Wee!!
It's wear your blue day in Winnipeg... I'm wearing Bomber gear, looking forward to seeing how many others are too. Definitely noticed a lot of jerseys and other stuff downtown over the last week or two

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:31 PM
DRINK

I'm rather excited about this one.

If it's not the Eskimos, its always which team I hate less. Being equally indifferent when it comes to both the Ti Cats and bombers, it will be enjoyable to just watch it for the sake of watching it.

Slight edge in cheering for the bombers I guess....wouldn't of been the case if Nichols was playing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada