HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: If you didn't live in your current province/territory, where would you want to live?
Newfoundland and Labrador 5 3.85%
Nova Scotia 16 12.31%
Prince Edward Island 5 3.85%
New Brunswick 4 3.08%
Quebec 20 15.38%
Ontario 22 16.92%
Manitoba 10 7.69%
Saskatchewan 3 2.31%
Alberta 8 6.15%
British Columbia 32 24.62%
Yukon 4 3.08%
Northwest Territories 0 0%
Nunavut 1 0.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:00 AM

Nova Scotia. Hills, colonial towns and the proximity of the ocean.

Last edited by FrAnKs; Nov 22, 2019 at 3:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:31 AM

I picked BC because I have lots of family and friends there. My Grandfather was born and raised in BC so many relatives are from there and many who were born and raised in Ontario moved to BC to be with them. I would do the same.

My second pick would be Quebec. The only downside is that I only have a few relatives and friends there. But the lifestyle is by far the best of anywhere in Canada. And Quebec is quite close to where I live.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
But the lifestyle is by far the best of anywhere in Canada. And Quebec is quite close to where I live.
Can you tell me more? From your Anglophone perspective, what makes Québec lifestyle better than anywhere else in Canada? Just curious.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:46 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I picked Quebec because I love me some Montreal.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:03 AM

Quote:
And Quebec is quite close to where I live.
If you were somehow forced to "leave Ontario" you'd probably have the least cultural shock if you ended up in Rouyn-Noranda. That's not really the spirit of the question though it's like asking a New Yorker what would be his choice of a place to relocate to "in another state" and he picks Hudson County NJ. Or asking someone from downtown Montreal what other city they'd move to if they were forced to move, and they answer "Westmount QC just west of Atwater Street". Not cheating, but not really answering either.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Can you tell me more? From your Anglophone perspective, what makes Québec lifestyle better than anywhere else in Canada? Just curious.
I find that Quebec as a society does a great job at promoting healthy lifestyles and also has much better public infrastructure for that. BC is pretty good as well but in Northern Ontario we really lack that. And the food available is much better in Quebec in my opinion whether at grocery stores or restaurants. And the province does a great job at promoting regional products.

There's also the festivals and events that I find are much better organized in Quebec compared to Ontario no matter the size of the municipality. The province provides more funding for community events compared to what is available in Ontario.

There are a number of other things but I will say that there are definitely things that are better in Ontario. But I honestly think that I would be a happier person living in Quebec due to the culture and friendliness. You get the same somewhat from our francophone population here but it's much stronger in Quebec from my experiences.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
I find that Quebec as a society does a great job at promoting healthy lifestyles and also has much better public infrastructure for that. BC is pretty good as well but in Northern Ontario we really lack that. And the food available is much better in Quebec in my opinion whether at grocery stores or restaurants. And the province does a great job at promoting regional products.

There's also the festivals and events that I find are much better organized in Quebec compared to Ontario no matter the size of the municipality. The province provides more funding for community events compared to what is available in Ontario.

There are a number of other things but I will say that there are definitely things that are better in Ontario. But I honestly think that I would be a happier person living in Quebec due to the culture and friendliness. You get the same somewhat from our francophone population here but it's much stronger in Quebec from my experiences.
Interesting thanks!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If you were somehow forced to "leave Ontario" you'd probably have the least cultural shock if you ended up in Rouyn-Noranda. That's not really the spirit of the question though it's like asking a New Yorker what would be his choice of a place to relocate to "in another state" and he picks Hudson County NJ. Or asking someone from downtown Montreal what other city they'd move to if they were forced to move, and they answer "Westmount QC just west of Atwater Street". Not cheating, but not really answering either.
haha

I go to Rouyn-Noranda a lot so it definitely wouldn't be a shock. In fact, I'm spending this upcoming weekend in Val-d'Or. The natural environment and climate are identical to Timmins and all three cities have mining as the main industry. Many of the same companies in mining (also contractors, suppliers, etc.) operate in the three cities and so there is economic interaction and familiarity.

I've travelled all over Quebec with the exception of Nunavik and I like the whole province. But Abitibi-Témiscamingue feels a lot like home and much more so than most of Southern Ontario.

The region in Quebec that I've visited the least in the Eastern Townships. I've only been there twice but I actually really liked it there and I would live there if given the opportunity. Oh wait...I've only visited the Magdalen Islands once lol.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Interesting thanks!
Bienvenue! Mon plaisir.

I tried my best to summarize some of the important things but I'm sure that I could add a lot more.

I also have to add that I like the way Quebec is structured with its regions and regional identities. I wish Ontario would adopt something similar for identity purposes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
I also have to add that I like the way Quebec is structured with its regions and regional identities. I wish Ontario would adopt something similar for identity purposes.
Quebec's regions are very distinctive from one to another. They are also used by StatCan as economic regions.

Most people on this forum don't even know that the Montérégie region, just East of Montréal, with its 11,112 km² , density 140/km² (2018), will count about 1.6M people by 2022. That's about the same size and population density as the Edmonton Metropolitan Region (9,449km², 140/km²), + a city the size of Regina.

The actual size of the Montreal economic region is not really known and official, but it is probably between 4.5M and 5 million people.

Our network of highways (Autoroutes) is also very useful. You can reach all regions of southern Quebec in less than 3 hours of driving, whether you are in Quebec City, Montreal or Sherbrooke. It's very easy to promote tourism inside the province when you have access to more than 7.5M people within 3h of driving.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Nov 22, 2019 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:12 AM
perhaps . . .

I love Vancouver's setting: the river, delta, hills, mountains, beaches, lakes, the ocean . . .

My lifestyle revolves around work, sailing, kayaking, and a heavy addiction to mountain biking; along with travel and family (all in the area).

BUT the city is central and Vancouver has just recently become big enough. I would have to deal with the losses involved, plus take on serious winter, but I would sell my house and buy a giant condo downtown in Montreal!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:18 AM

I chose Ontario.

Climate and weather are important to me, for a decently reliable summer (coupled with a tolerably short winter season) only the Southern Interior of BC and Southern Ontario (generally speaking Toronto south for my liking) will do.

I also like Southern Vancouver Island.

Good variety in vegetation is a huge bonus.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:44 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

If I could afford to, I'd choose to live in the GTA for its access to TTC, GO Transit,Via Rail, and AMTRAK services.

My second choice would be Calgary, Alta. for its C-Train LRT and I'd choose to live close to one of the Stations.

My third choice would be Montreal, Que. for its underground Metro and urbanity. I am not fluent in French but I guess if I lived there long enough I would be and that would be OK.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:58 PM
BANNED

I already experienced living in Alberta. Once was enough.

I would say either Quebec or the Kamloops area in BC.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
You mean the pacific coast. Six months of snow will fix that attitude. Atlantic Canada is suffering from demographic death for a reason.

A weak economy, poor demographics, isolation and stagnation. It's a step up from Saskatoon but not much else.
News of the east coast's demographic death has been greatly exaggerated, though. Nova Scotia was one of only two provinces to see its population get younger last year, immigration is way up region-wide going on five years in a row, and outmigration has slowed dramatically. Halifax grew proportionally faster than Toronto last year, and Charlottetown has been in the top three fastest-growing cities for several years (granted, it's still tiny).

Rural areas are still bleeding people, the economy overall remains in a lower gear than the rest of the country (though much improved over decades past), and things are overall somewhat more precarious than elsewhere. But the idea that the region is in an irreversible spiral is very at odds with recent trends. The general Canadian conception of the Maritimes as a sort of eternal basketcase remains as firm as ever, though.

But in answer to the thread's question: Ontario. Has the country's greatest metropolis, the great lakes, the northern wilderness. Maybe the most overall well-rounded province. BC would be next choice. Not really sure after that.

Last edited by Drybrain; Nov 22, 2019 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:19 PM
DRINK

I voted for Newfoundland. A large piece of land a few hours outside of St Johns would be sweet. Spend the day chopping wood, shooting moose and blasting around on the quads. Build a big house with a huge garage/shop.

My mindsight was a cash out and retire with the wife scenario.....in hindsight with two young daughters it would kind of screw over their futures, and it would suck when they have to move for education and career opportunities.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Halifax grew proportionally faster than Toronto last year, and Charlottetown has been in the top three fastest-growing cities for several years (granted, it's still tiny).
Time for a SSP classic - break out the calculators and practice you guys' high school math. 1) What year does Halifax overtake Toronto? and 2) What year does Charlottetown overtake Toronto? :p

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Time for a SSP classic - break out the calculators and practice you guys' high school math. 1) What year does Halifax overtake Toronto? and 2) What year does Charlottetown overtake Toronto? :p

At this rate I think the real question we should be asking is when they'll overtake Canada's future premier cities - Milton and Okotoks?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Still a few centuries on either, I think.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
There are a lot of lifestyle similarities between Timmins and Rouyn but one cannot discount personal preferences - Loco101 is anglo who speaks French quite well (I gather) and has a sincere appreciation for Quebec culture.

I am familiar with NE Ontario including Timmins and while some people there are certainly like him, most are not. This includes the vast majority of Franco-Ontarians in the city/region who are in some ways closer to Québécois culture than he is, but in other ways might be more distant because they have a jaded negative view of it whereas Loco101 has a "fresh look" on things.

I've heard relatives of my wife in Timmins and other places refer to Rouyn-Noranda as a tiny, backward village.

Timmins population: 41 788
Rouyn-Noranda population: 42 334

Bottom line is that I think to most people, language (and the culture that goes along with it) does matter. As do "administrative concerns" if I can use that term.

As such people from Timmins are far more likely to move to points south in Ontario, or to Western Canada, than to Rouyn or Val-d'Or.

Even Franco-Ontarians from Timmins tend to move to Ottawa (first choice) and the GTA (second choice).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada