HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:41 PM

Sorry I was joking. I don't mind the train noise except for the squealing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sorry I was joking. I don't mind the train noise except for the squealing.
the squeeling at 2am if ur a light sleeper would be irritating. herd an ear full from few people about it in the area

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:30 PM

It's one of those things when you're buying a home. Know the surroundings. Oh look a railway. Oh look, a huge empty field that will 100% be developed into something. Then let's complain about.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
It's one of those things when you're buying a home. Know the surroundings. Oh look a railway. Oh look, a huge empty field that will 100% be developed into something. Then let's complain about.
so very true but people dont thnk of that stuff

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what the ads from Realtor.ca tell you to using a real estate agent is suppose to prevent?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:11 PM

A good realtor, yes. haha My auntie is a realtor and literally follows urban development and such like most of us on here. So she knows that the big field out back will indeed be full of houses. Or if it's a railway back there, she knows it'll be loud. It's almost just common sense though. Like hey, it's a effin railway right there you guys. It'll be noisey and smelly at any hour of the day.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:44 PM

September 17:

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:13 PM

That's some quick framework. I hope this brings much more attention to the slowed down development of the east exchange...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:55 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^

Stupid design. Why are they blocking the fascade like that? Typical Winnipeg.

Not world class. Not even "prairie city". More like some backwards small town design.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Not world class. Not even "prairie city". More like some backwards small town design.

Not a very productive post...

To start with the developer took a huge leap of faith in being able to deal with a very difficult planning department. He retained a very progressive architectural firm to deal with very challenging problems and constraints.

The idea to lift the residential component into the air on steel does in fact open the historic facade to waterfront and the river. It allows the residential units a great view of the area. The idea of using 2x10 side by side for floor and ceiling while an old idea is progressive in this application. All involved in this project are taking huge financial and emotional risks in making it happen and I for one applaud the solution and the individuals involved.

When one has skin in the game they get to call the shots. While forums such as this allow for a wide range of views and opinions, it’s productive for dissenting voices to try and use a more eloquent approach to conveying their view.

I would suggest if you walked the site and area with a more open minded approach your opinion may be tempered somewhat.

You do not project yourself as an architectural critic regardless of your view while using that type of language to describe your position.

You appear frustrated or angry about something other than the design of this project...

I’m just suggesting you work on the delivery of your message if it’s for the benifit of others. If not, perhaps you may be more satisfied with yourself by just scream in the shower.

Last edited by Labroco; Sep 19, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Stupid post.

The vast majority of the "fascade" fronts James and isn't being covered. The new building is built on stilts to expose as much of the end as possible. And there isn't really much more detail in the design on the end than the sides.

Small town mind.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:59 PM

So far I like the design it’s unique and it fills a nice gap and will continue to boost the residential population of the area.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Just a nitpick - but those x-braces are kinda rinky-dinky looking, especially if they are getting left exposed.

Some chunkier steel would have gone a long way visually there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:03 PM

I get the reason for the design of the apartment structure but this is not really a project with universal appeal... some people just aren't going to like it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:05 PM

This is a forum where anyone is free to discuss and provide their opinions. No need to be calling people stupid because you dont agree.

This isn't the official transcript at city hall.

My opinion, the whole thing seems disjointed just to protect some pumps. While it's cool and historic, just seems odd. I'd hope in the end the whole thing comes together and works out.

The developers who are taking the risk deserve some credit for sure. But saying nobody else can critisize because we didnt pay is BS.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:12 PM
the first stamp is free

Full disclusure. I don't really care for this design, and I never have.

I get that it is a unique method to accomplish some heritage requirements - but...

I also dislike the designs of this particular firm that seem to hold the look above all else. It results in construction that IMO is not terribly robust (cheap materials required to preserve expensive designs).

We need to move on from OSB boxes downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Just a nitpick - but those x-braces are kinda rinky-dinky looking, especially if they are getting left exposed.

Some chunkier steel would have gone a long way visually there.
I have zero idea about the engineering aspect, but I'd guess all/some are going to be removed because there's some within the structure that go diagonally across the entire space (both axes). Like you'd actually have to walk over or under them to get around the space.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:15 PM
the first stamp is free

^ hopefully.

They are unsightly - but you never know with these guys. Maybe it's some sort of warehouse chic look popular in Denmark these days or something.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get the reason for the design of the apartment structure but this is not really a project with universal appeal... some people just aren't going to like it.
I think that's an apt description of pretty much all of 5468796's work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan