HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
$$$$
Designing a ballpark to be compatible with football/soccer probably wouldn't be cheap either, though. I'd imagine that a new grandstand would be more expensive, but it may be the wiser move in the long run if everyone ends up hating the football in a ballpark configuration right from day one.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Designing a ballpark to be compatible with football/soccer probably wouldn't be cheap either, though.
Which is probably why the Expos 2.0, still far away from reality, wouldn't do it.

Quote:
I'd imagine that a new grandstand would be more expensive, but it may be the wiser move in the long run if everyone ends up hating the football in a ballpark configuration right from day one.
Indeed, but a lot of it comes down to how much funding the new ownership group can provide. I think the Als have bigger hills to climb at the moment than building a new grandstand.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Which is probably why the Expos 2.0, still far away from reality, wouldn't do it.

Indeed, but a lot of it comes down to how much funding the new ownership group can provide. I think the Als have bigger hills to climb at the moment than building a new grandstand.
Surprisingly enough given the condition of the stadium, complaints about Molson aren't something we hear much of in Montreal/Quebec. Contrary to a place like Calgary where this a lot of bitching about McMahon.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Surprisingly enough given the condition of the stadium, complaints about Molson aren't something we hear much of in Montreal/Quebec. Contrary to a place like Calgary where this a lot of bitching about McMahon.
I would imagine the concerns with Molson generally aren't coming from the fans... it's probably the team having a lack of the full range of modern revenue generating sources.

What I've noticed over the years is that when owners are dissatisfied with a venue and want to put pressure on governments to help out with improvements/replacements, they tend to enlist sportswriters to dump on a place and get the fans pissed off about having what they consider to be a sub par venue. I saw this first hand in Winnipeg, and I know it's happened elsewhere - seemingly every week you had sportswriters like Scott Taylor talking about what a piece of crap the old Winnipeg Arena was, even though frankly from a regular, non-suite or club member fan standpoint, going to games there was really no different than at the new place. The same dynamic could be seen in Edmonton and Calgary.

In Montreal though, the Als are a fairly low profile team, certainly they have been over the past few years as they've lingered in the basement of the standings. So they don't have the benefit of a line of willing supplicant sportswriters happily taking on the team's PR work for them. At any rate, that's my theory.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:50 PM

I think it's incredible that the Als and potential Expos ownership are even considering moving into a new joint baseball/football stadium given both Montreal's experience with such stadiums AND the general trends in sports away from such stadiums. The Als's problems and struggle to remain relevant in Montreal isn't going to be helped by moving to a stadium that is ill-fitted for them. I simply don't see how you could make a stadium that creates a satisfying game-day experience for both teams.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:40 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:45 PM

In Bombers news Buck Pierce has officially been named the club's new Offensive Coordinator replacing Paul Lapolice in the role. Congrats to Buck on paying his dues the past 6 years as running backs and qb coach and living in Winnipeg year round and being involved in many local charities. Also it looks like the Bombers will not pursue re-signing Matt Nichols as Collaros has been deemed the healthier of the two after Nichols shoulder injury. Collaros seemed to give the Bombers a confidence and moxy that they had not had in many many years at quarterback.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/21/o...oaching-staff/

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/20/b...zach-collaros/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:52 PM

Good news re: Pierce. Also, interesting news re: Collaros. Honestly, who could be surprised? Collaros has ability that Nichols doesn't, and both of them have had injury issues so it's not like Nichols is a safe bet from a durability standpoint. Having Collaros and Strev (assuming he doesn't stick in the NFL) would be one hell of a crowd pleasing QB duo.

Also, the announcement above must be the neutral site game.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Neutral site game, stadium announcement?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Neutral site game, stadium announcement?
It will be the neutral site game, Toronto has given up yet another home game. I don't think there will ever be a stadium announcement.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
It will be the neutral site game, Toronto has given up yet another home game. I don't think there will ever be a stadium announcement.
Oh that's right.

What stadium will they play in? Not too familiar with Halifax area.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:03 PM

^ Probably where the St. Mary's Huskies play, they hosted one or two neutral site games there sometime back in the 00s IIRC.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Oh that's right.

What stadium will they play in? Not too familiar with Halifax area.
Probably Huskies Stadium, it seats 2,000, but since they removed the old hill/stands it likely could accommodate 12-15,000 with temporary seats. Over 11,000 attended a CFL game here in 2005.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:51 PM

Ahh good ol' SMU. As a kid I delivered news papers to the residence buildings you see in those pics. I went to school across the street at Tower Road Elementary. Great pics q12

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:57 PM

Here's a recent picture from this fall showing it's location from Downtown in the South end.

https://www.facebook.com/smuhalifax/...type=3&theater

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:02 PM

Awesome pic! I can see my old "crib" in there.

Halifax looks a lot more built up now, but fenwick tower still reigns supreme.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Damn!
I was hoping it was stadium related.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Dave Naylor, TSN's CFL insider, saying he's hearing that the July 25th game between the Riders and Argos will be played at St. Mary's University.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:08 PM
arf

It's pretty ridiculous to have Toronto lose a home date that might actually sell some tickets.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to have Toronto lose a home date that might actually sell some tickets.
Exactly. The Riders are one of the most reliable road draws...why ship that game away?

The only item of CFL news from Nova Scotia I'm interested in hearing about is the start of stadium construction. Everything else is a waste of time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada