HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:03 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,432
Found this neat article on the burgeoning MTB scene in NFLD, looks like a gorgeous place to ride bikes! There's a 10 minute movie included in the article. https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/creat...-newfoundland/
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:05 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Found this neat article on the burgeoning MTB scene in NFLD, looks like a gorgeous place to ride bikes! There's a 10 minute movie included in the article. https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/creat...-newfoundland/
Saw an article and Canadian mountain bike Facebook page as well. Reminds me a bit of the area around Yellowknife.

Our mountain bike season was a bit slow this year do to the rain. Common refrain was "Are the trails dry yet".

Some new trails added to the list this year, some getting refinement or adjustments for safety and flow.

The Mountain bike alliance here has been working with the city to develop and maintain the trails. Almost all bike clubs chip in and do trail days for maintenance.

Currently in the city of Edmonton.

Trails:779 / Distance: 476 km / Descent:11,173 m / Vertical: 162 m / Highest Trail 769 m
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:13 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,432
Newfoundland looks like an amazing place to ride a bike, hopefully they can grow the scene there! Do any of the ski hills on the island do lift access? that would be amazing, and would be a great start for attracting events.

The bad thing about the wet weather here is the type of sticky clay that makes up the foothills, it turns to cement in your gears and ruts on the trails quite easy. Friends from the coast prefer it when it's a bit rainy there, dirt is much tackier apparently lol.

Still want to try the Edmonton trails, I hear they are as good, if not better than what we have in the city here. We likely win for vertical though, our river valley is about the same depth in places, but we have places like nose hill that rise even higher. I imagine Edmonton is similar the Paskapoo Slopes area just east of COP, lots of nice flowy trails through the woods.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 4:21 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Newfoundland looks like an amazing place to ride a bike, hopefully they can grow the scene there! Do any of the ski hills on the island do lift access? that would be amazing, and would be a great start for attracting events.

The bad thing about the wet weather here is the type of sticky clay that makes up the foothills, it turns to cement in your gears and ruts on the trails quite easy. Friends from the coast prefer it when it's a bit rainy there, dirt is much tackier apparently lol.

Still want to try the Edmonton trails, I hear they are as good, if not better than what we have in the city here. We likely win for vertical though, our river valley is about the same depth in places, but we have places like nose hill that rise even higher. I imagine Edmonton is similar the Paskapoo Slopes area just east of COP, lots of nice flowy trails through the woods.
If you get up here , try Hyperloop and Bottle rocket. You can access the trails from anywhere in the city. Also check out Trail Forks app.

If we want the incredible vertical most head out to Baseline Mountain in Rocky or the Hinton Bike park.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:25 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,432
I know Trailforks quite well, I use it for the trails in the foothills and mountains west of us, great app! Don't think I'll get out on the bike again though, actual winter isn't too far away, and everything west of us is starting to get a snowpack now as the snow from the last storm didn't melt yet.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:32 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I know Trailforks quite well, I use it for the trails in the foothills and mountains west of us, great app! Don't think I'll get out on the bike again though, actual winter isn't too far away, and everything west of us is starting to get a snowpack now as the snow from the last storm didn't melt yet.
Looks like we have another week of dry but cool weather. Was going to come down to Calgary for a race on Sunday but I am wimping out. Plan to do my 80km trail ride along the river here this week instead.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 6:22 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Looks like we have another week of dry but cool weather. Was going to come down to Calgary for a race on Sunday but I am wimping out. Plan to do my 80km trail ride along the river here this week instead.
Anything in the open on a south exposure may be good, rode an area called Bowmont on Sunday and the trails were mint. Anything on a north exposure or in the trees will be snowy or wet.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.