HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I think Scheif is an untouchable as it gets.

But beyond that, there is a price for anything - and the trade deadline can make GMs trade stupid.
I mentioned Scheif only as an example of the most extreme possible response to the situation - but that type of mega-trade involving a franchise player seems to have gone out in the 90s.

But that said, I don't see how the team gets out of its current predicament without giving up a big asset. And if you're going to find trade bait anywhere, it's on offense.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I mentioned Scheif only as an example of the most extreme possible response to the situation - but that type of mega-trade involving a franchise player seems to have gone out in the 90s.

But that said, I don't see how the team gets out of its current predicament without giving up a big asset. And if you're going to find trade bait anywhere, it's on offense.
And trade for who? There's no defence on the market. Best bet is just wait for Niku & Heinola to develop some more.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:54 PM

The one upside to the current Jets situation is it will make the upcoming Seattle draft a lot easier to take.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:40 PM
BANNED

What are the odds on the Chevy firing? Maurice firing?

A LOSS to Carolina and Columbus should at least seal Mo's fate?! Put me down for $20!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:46 AM

Don’t think Maurices job is in jeopardy, with a full roster maybe but with all the injuries and the patchwork AHL D I think he has done a great job . For very ironic purposes if we shit the bed and Maurice is fired it will be 2nd time Columbus was involved, Claude Noel was fired after a lacklustre game here a few years ago vs Columbus

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 11:10 AM
BANNED

Jets had 3 shots against Carolina in the third period and lost 4-1 but according to Maurice, “they played fucking great” his words!

Kind speaks for itself, deadman walking..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:23 PM

But which coach would do a better job with this lineup? I guess you could fire Maurice to make it look like you're trying to deal with the problem, but it isn't coaching that has turned the team into a defensive disaster that gets outrun and pushed around in their zone at every turn.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:16 PM

I was reading some commentary on the Jets and they've changed their style of play. More defensive oriented then offensive, in trying to adjust for the shitty D. And it's not working at all. They need to go back on offense and hope they can keep pucks out of the net. Beyond that, they need to make roster moves to get the D shored up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:29 PM

^^ If you play a highly offensive style of game you better bring lots of goals with you because end of the day it becomes who can run up the score the most.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
But which coach would do a better job with this lineup? I guess you could fire Maurice to make it look like you're trying to deal with the problem, but it isn't coaching that has turned the team into a defensive disaster that gets outrun and pushed around in their zone at every turn.
I agree. A coaching change now wouldn't necessarily do anything to improve the team. At the beginning of the season I thought the team would probably miss the playoffs; and while they certainly surprised me with their play earlier, it looks like injuries and overall defensive team weakness is catching to them.

While the team is in the playoff hunt I might be tempted to keep on trying to push for a playoff spot, but honestly the prospect of squeaking into the playoffs and then most likely being eliminated in 4-5 games isn't a very pleasing prospect.

Personally, I would see the team setting a deadline of sorts. If they were still in the playoff race by a given date, then push for the playoff positioning. If they are still lagging by that date, use the opportunity to give their Moose prospects some NHL playing time and look to a decent draft pick in the off season. Maybe make a "big" trade (Laine?) to add a solid defenceman and an offensive prospect.

We all knew there would be "rebuilding" phases, and it looks like the Jets are in one now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ If you play a highly offensive style of game you better bring lots of goals with you because end of the day it becomes who can run up the score the most.
Ya that's the whole ting. Need to score lots to make up for all the pucks in your net. Seems they've been trying to avoid that, but hasn't been working.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Jets had 3 shots against Carolina in the third period and lost 4-1 but according to Maurice, “they played fucking great” his words!

Kind speaks for itself, deadman walking..
That was a message for his boss.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Thought I'd give you guys a little "pep talk." An Oilers fan here to you Jets fans.....you guys have an awesome team...even without that useless pylon named Myers - good riddance....out here where I work....with 1000's of men - most Oiler fans - if we're not cheering for the Oil - we're cheering for your Jets. Your team is loaded with likeable players...unlike the "Flaming TurtleChucks" to my South - who have ZERO players with any personality or likeability. You guys will make the playoffs and have a great future ahead.....these past 3 games were an anomaly - not sure why the league is squeezing in 4 games in 6 nights.....Go Jets!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
Thought I'd give you guys a little "pep talk." An Oilers fan here to you Jets fans.....you guys have an awesome team...even without that useless pylon named Myers - good riddance....out here where I work....with 1000's of men - most Oiler fans - if we're not cheering for the Oil - we're cheering for your Jets. Your team is loaded with likeable players...unlike the "Flaming TurtleChucks" to my South - who have ZERO players with any personality or likeability. You guys will make the playoffs and have a great future ahead.....these past 3 games were an anomaly - not sure why the league is squeezing in 4 games in 6 nights.....Go Jets!!!!!

This reminds me a bit of the post game show on TSN 1290 last night where Kevin Olszewski was using the softest tones I've ever heard him use... it's like he was trying to talk someone down from a ledge.

"I know a lot of things went wrong, but there are still a lot of other things to be really positive about!" … that sort of thing

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
That was a message for his boss.
Could very well be, hopefully Mr. Dithers Chevytookthedayoff can swing a trade to partially salvage the season.

Jets need to clean house from top to bottom this off season and send Mr. Dithers packing!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:

This reminds me a bit of the post game show on TSN 1290 last night where Kevin Olszewski was using the softest tones I've ever heard him use... it's like he was trying to talk someone down from a ledge.

"I know a lot of things went wrong, but there are still a lot of other things to be really positive about!" … that sort of thing
I can not listen to 1290 for many years now. They're just TNSE propaganda team. They never ask any hard questions. Always pumping tires. In fear they will be barred from future press events. Also the whole relationship between Thomson and Bell/CTV/TSN. I don't think they actually have a stake in those companies anymore. but it's hard to find who owns what.

Murat from the Athletic asked Maurice some detailed questions during a presser once, and Maurice made a comment something like "what the hell are these hard questions."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I can not listen to 1290 for many years now. They're just TNSE propaganda team. They never ask any hard questions. Always pumping tires. In fear they will be barred from future press events. Also the whole relationship between Thomson and Bell/CTV/TSN. I don't think they actually have a stake in those companies anymore. but it's hard to find who owns what.

Murat from the Athletic asked Maurice some detailed questions during a presser once, and Maurice made a comment something like "what the hell are these hard questions."
Yeah, TSN - the radio station especially - feels like the PR arm of the Jets/TNSE. And you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

The other outlets don't benefit quite as directly as TSN, but the threat of being locked out of Bell MTS Place looms which certainly keeps the Sun, CJOB, The Athletic and whomever else in line.

All I can say is that I don't really expect objective journalism from the Winnipeg sports media so much as I just expect entertainment.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:12 PM

What's the point in lobbing soft balls everyday? Get your pay cheque and go home type thing. Same as politicians. Don't upset anybody too much so you get re-elected next time.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:19 AM
BANNED

When’s the next Jets loss?

Ans. Next game they play!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:28 AM
Starring as himself

Their passing isn't exactly of the "crisp" variety. Normally a 4-3 loss to a very hot team, on the road, with the backup goalie, having played the night before, wouldn't have been all that disturbing. But this left me feeling confused and somewhat downhearted. The players look like they just met each other for the first time 10 minutes before game time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan