HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
I'm a bit nervous about getting something cheap and tacky in its place. I saw plenty of Starlight properties when I lived in Toronto and they always struck me as being on par with Timbercreek, which doesn't necessarily inspire confidence. But I hope they can pull this off.
Aren't Starlight and Timbercreek either the same company or in close partnership?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Aren't Starlight and Timbercreek either the same company or in close partnership?
Timbercreek had previously acquired properties from a REIT that was purchased by Starlight. Different companies.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 PM

An interesting take on the upcoming development:

https://accesswinnipeg.com/2020/01/a...ghpbOfHYmPdziQ

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:19 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post

That reads like a journalistic version of armorand93

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:24 AM
Winnipeg

For me that article feels ok for the most part......except when it discusses Portage Place’s failure in the 1980s and Skycity. When the specific individual issues and background of these 2 cases are not well discussed it’s easy for the author to link them with the new development and stir some emotions

Last edited by EspionNoir; Jan 25, 2020 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post

I wouldn’t put any stock in what John Dobbin Writes.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 10:03 AM
Back from the dead

That article had me right up until the author started talking about replacing the arena in 10 years time. That is not going to happen and everybody knows it. It also makes statements that I'm not sure are true. Polo Park expanded and then contracted? Huh? What do they mean by contracted? Like it physically shrank or something?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
but with less Calgary comparisons

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 7:07 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

^^^
I've enjoyed reading John Dobbin's blog for years, his grammar is usually impecable. However, recent posts to the blog leave me wondering if he has some kind of health issue (stroke or eyesight?) or someone has hijacked his Blogger acct.

Lots of grammar and typos in several recent posts by J. D.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 7:15 PM

The article reads like the author was jilted for a date to the prom by Winnipeg or something. Kind of a "how dare they promise me this and that and not deliver?" vibe. I know its disappointing to have potential developments fall through, but that seems to be business as usual in the property development industry. Lots of working parts have to come together for a building to be constructed, unless the developer can foot the entire bill themselves with no investors to worry about.

I thought it was funny referring to the arena as the "old Bell MTS" centre. What's next, the mayor being referred to as "Old Man Bowman"?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:11 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
The article reads like the author was jilted for a date to the prom by Winnipeg or something. Kind of a "how dare they promise me this and that and not deliver?" vibe. I know its disappointing to have potential developments fall through, but that seems to be business as usual in the property development industry. Lots of working parts have to come together for a building to be constructed, unless the developer can foot the entire bill themselves with no investors to worry about.

I thought it was funny referring to the arena as the "old Bell MTS" centre. What's next, the mayor being referred to as "Old Man Bowman"?
Access Winnipeg in general seems like a less reliable source in my opinion

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 12:20 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Well, he was right about the offices nearby, the Promenade being a perfect place to get robbed/stabbed, and the likelihood that these developers are just developing places to "flip" them afterwards.

If they're going to build another skywalk system... it should be extended to the U of W. If anyone in Winnipeg involved with skywalks have ANY brains... adding THOUSANDS of students and transit riders to THAT section of the skywalk, then adding IG office workers as well, would make it extremely attractive for a) business, b) any future of Portage Place as a mall, c) public safety, d) WPS, U of W and mall security being able to secure public spaces better, e) advertisement revenues, etc etc...

I'm not going to repeat myself over and over again, but honestly, if Starlight, U of W, Investors Group and others chipped in, they could have a skywalk as far West as the U of W - with so much foot traffic added, that it will make alot more money for everyone involved (and be able to support non-UWSA retail and restaurants), including any retail future for Portage Place. Not only that, with the added residential too, thats practically an extra 10,000 to 15,000 shoppers and services provided, per weekday.

Honestly, they would be fucking crazy NOT TO expand it that far out West... yeah it might kill a little non-existent street life between Portage Place and the CBC, but then again, the traffic signals could be shortened, there would be less foot traffic holding up the lights, and public safety would be enhanced too with 3 different security agencies as well...

I see no negativity possible with any of this. None whatsoever. Reminds me, can someone get Starlights to actually consider this? Because if they aren't complete idiots, and they just end up flipping it anyway after they develop it... doesn't thousands of extra customers walking through the door, not make it a more profitable asset/selling point? Starlight would be crazy NOT to build a skywalk out West. To lose out on thousands of walking wallets?!?!?! Only a complete idiot would let that pass, and incase anyone wants to repeat Portage Place all over again, someones gotta light a fire under these developers asses & get things under expansion. Without it, they would basically nuke their chances of having a long-term profitable asset, with its own income generation, while turning Portage sidewalks into moshpits... its unacceptable for medium to long-term downtown Winnipeg development, NOT to expand the skywalks to where people may use them the most. And the U of W, AnX and IG, over 10,000 people - not counting West End users who would not want to freeze outside when they can just go through the skywalks and skip the walks outside in subzero temps - would tend to agree with me.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 7:50 PM
Back from the dead

You mean build a skywalk all the way from PP to the U of W campus? That's insane. No developer would consider that to be a reasonable proposition and I'm not seeing the up side for Starlight. I'm not following how you think this is anything but an unnecessary expense with no pay off at all for Starlight. You mean it will attract people to buy into their development because it's a climate controlled system? Okay...then why not build a skywalk from their apartment door to their favorite eatery while they're at it?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 8:46 PM
BANNED

for the price of a skywalk we can buy everyone winter clothes, pay to actually clear the sidewalks, and improve transit access and service for people with disabilities.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 10:42 PM
surely you agree with me

There’s been at least two designs done to build a skywalk from PP to U of W.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 11:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
You mean build a skywalk all the way from PP to the U of W campus? That's insane. No developer would consider that to be a reasonable proposition and I'm not seeing the up side for Starlight. I'm not following how you think this is anything but an unnecessary expense with no pay off at all for Starlight. You mean it will attract people to buy into their development because it's a climate controlled system? Okay...then why not build a skywalk from their apartment door to their favorite eatery while they're at it?
You do realize, that I mentioned U of W, Investors Group and the AnX, right? Its not as if Starlight would be sole payee... U of W has the money, especially after shitting all over students with their fees, to build a skywalk. IG already has their portion too. So that just leaves U of W, the City of Winnipeg, and maybe some incentive from Starlight to leave a skywalk connection to IG. AGAIN, they would all be full of shit, in a financial, public safety and infrastructure sense of the term, to bail out on this skywalk. ESPECIALLY when the demand exists, and Portage Place as a continued retail and restaurant destination, depends on it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 11:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
for the price of a skywalk we can buy everyone winter clothes, pay to actually clear the sidewalks, and improve transit access and service for people with disabilities.
Soviet Communism for the inner city masses?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 11:51 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
First time I ever heard of this. Thats awesome! Is there links and renderings avaibale, by chance?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:53 AM

Step one would be putting the next new UW building on the empty lot/entrance to AnX off Colony, as has been discussed here many times (and old renders shown). If some sort of moderate tower were to go up, it would make quite a bit of sense.

Right now it'd be weird to put a skywalk there, would have to go through the Holiday in and connect down into the AnX somewhere awkwardly. Even then if you want it eventually connected to the main building, you'd need to build a heated walkway through the parkade, then find somewhere in Centennial to connect to.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:30 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
By Starlight?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan