HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:56 PM

Goldeyes are in the finals! Game 1 tonight. Nice to see all the Goldeyes flags flapping at Portage and Main

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:30 PM

Goldeyes win! It's nice to see a team in this town win a championship.

source: cbc.ca

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:56 PM

Yup! Congrats Goldeyes!

Too bad there was no one in the stands down in Wichita. Pretty pathetic. Maybe a few hundred people in attendance last night.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yup! Congrats Goldeyes!

Too bad there was no one in the stands down in Wichita. Pretty pathetic. Maybe a few hundred people in attendance last night.
It's kind of funny, the Goldeyes and Moose have typically drawn good crowds for playoff games, yet it seems that in the US, AA and AHL teams typically draw pitifully in the playoffs (with certain exceptions, e.g. Hershey Bears). I remember seeing footage of Moose playoff games with hardly anyone in the stands... those owners must take a financial bath on championship runs.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 8:53 PM

It might be the lower level league but it is still a championship for Winnipeg. Way to go Goldeyes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:51 PM

I stumbled upon this in the Ottawa subforum... apparently Katz is trying to land a baseball team in Ottawa in partnership with the Ottawa Redblacks ownership group.

They have a nice big ballpark in Ottawa which could potentially make a team there a tidy little earner if the lease is favourable enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
2 groups vying for baseball stadium lease
OSEG, Winnipeg Goldeyes among interested parties

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: Sep 25, 2019 1:17 PM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

Two "viable, legitimate" groups have approached the City of Ottawa about leasing its baseball stadium now that the struggling Champions are in default, councillors learned Wednesday.

One group includes the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), owner of the CFL Redblacks, the USL Fury and OHL 67's, and partner Regan Katz on behalf of the Winnipeg Goldeyes, a successful franchise in the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball.

The other proposal comes from Rob Lavoie, Rob Abboud and Fred Saghbini.

Both groups are aware that the city expects them to clear nearly half a million dollars in debt the Champions owe before they can hit the field for the 2020 season, the city said.

"We're trying to minimize our loss and get our money back. It's been part of the negotiations," city manager Steve Kanellakos told councillors.

"We feel now that we have two viable, legitimate owners' groups who are interested in the team [and] who have the financial means to be able to deal with that outstanding debt."

Mayor Jim Watson encouraged other interested parties to come forward.

"I think that it's exciting that there are groups prepared to step up to the plate, excuse the pun, and bid to continue professional baseball in Ottawa," said Watson.

Champions owner Miles Wolff was on a repayment plan with the city, but missed his Sept. 4 payment, councillors also learned.

The city has now found him to be in default and will be cashing a $108,000 letter of credit.

Even with that payment the Champions owe $463,000 for missing rent payments in previous seasons, and for the hourly rate it was being charged during the 2019 season, which ended earlier this month.

Coun. Carol Anne Meehan questioned how any new owner could succeed where others have failed. City officials noted the light rail station at Tremblay will mean fans can now get to games on LRT.

Other councillors were less interested in the business of baseball, and more keen to see staff undertake a grander vision for how else the stadium site could be used.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ease-1.5296665

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:22 PM

Katz has been in the news lately as he seeks a lease renewal for Shaw Park. Oddly, the council committee handling it declined to take the somewhat aggressive approach administration was recommending and ratcheted its demands down to $50,000 a year plus 10% of parking revenues. (Details here)

Anyway, the whole topic got me thinking about the future of this site. Shaw Park is 20 years old and the Goldeyes are not really the attraction that they once were. As the prime site it occupies becomes more valuable, it's not out of the question to imagine that in another 10-20 years, we could be looking at a redevelopment of the ballpark. So what would be a good thing to put there?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:56 PM

I dunno, I would kind of hate to see the ballpark go, I would however would like to see the surrounding lots developed and the green space along waterfront drive & William Stephenson Way transformed.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I dunno, I would kind of hate to see the ballpark go, I would however would like to see the surrounding lots developed and the green space along waterfront drive & William Stephenson Way transformed.
The best part of this whole schmozzle is Katz claiming he owns part of the city owned parking lots which the city says is completely false, guy is a wanker in every which way!

On one hand Katz has paid his share of taxes on the stadium and business (just like everyone else) but on the other hand on what planet does someone get 20 years leases on parking lots on city owned land for $1. and get to keep all the parking revenue! It's almost like he signed both sides of the agreement himself!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:13 PM

^It's a prop up for the ball club. Just like TNSE gets tax deductions, slot machines, and such.

Has Katz really paid his fair share of taxes he doesn't own the ball park or the land. Correct? It's the city and the on-profit that run the park?

He'd only pay taxes on revenues for ball games. Which can't be that much really. It's like a small business.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^It's a prop up for the ball club. Just like TNSE gets tax deductions, slot machines, and such.

Has Katz really paid his fair share of taxes he doesn't own the ball park or the land. Correct? It's the city and the on-profit that run the park?

He'd only pay taxes on revenues for ball games. Which can't be that much really. It's like a small business.
The main draw of the Goldeyes is low ticket prices, should taxpayers subsidize Katz and the Goldeyes so seniors can attend third rate baseball games for cheap, big question.

No one subsidizes my ticket price when I go see Nana Mouskouri or Daniel O'Donnell! (a joke)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:18 PM

I could see this site being great for a replacement of BellMts Place in 15-20 years.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The main draw of the Goldeyes is low ticket prices, should taxpayers subsidize Katz and the Goldeyes so seniors can attend third rate baseball games for cheap, big question.
Goldeyes games are not that cheap anymore, if you buy on game day you're looking at around thirty bucks a pop unless you want to sit in the outfield. Not an exorbitant amount but you could go to a Bomber game, a Moose game, a Valour FC game for the same amount of money. With the way things are going for the Jets, you might be able to buy resale tickets for thirty bucks too before long...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:

Katz claims he has paid over $5m is various taxes over the course of the agreement.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Katz claims he has paid over $5m is various taxes over the course of the agreement.
Interestingly, Katz also claims the team lost $1.4 million from 2009 to 2012. Which strikes me as hard to believe... this team rakes in a good amount of dough and pays next to nothing for players or the stadium. Yeah there's travel, coaches, office staff and what not, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a money losing operation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interestingly, Katz also claims the team lost $1.4 million from 2009 to 2012. Which strikes me as hard to believe... this team rakes in a good amount of dough and pays next to nothing for players or the stadium. Yeah there's travel, coaches, office staff and what not, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is a money losing operation.
So many similarities between Katz and the orange pumpkin down south eh?!?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:14 PM

Katz screwed us and he deserves nothing. If the lot is big enough for an arena then build a new arena there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:57 PM

I recently moved to the Exchange, mostly because of its overall rebirth, but also because of Shaw Park. It's easily the best baseball stadium in the entire country; easily! It's in fantastic shape! Losing it would be devastating! There's nothing better than watching a game on a hot summer afternoon! The only thing I would do is build a new outfield wall with room for patio seating. The views of downtown would be outstanding! Frankly, I find these comments incredibly discouraging! It truly is a gem! I thought most Winnipegers felt this way. Apparently not...

Last edited by NewIreland; Oct 30, 2019 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:35 AM

I wonder if the view of this deal, and the general attitude toward the ball park, would be different if say Chipman, or some other figure, owned the team and was asking for the break. Again, regardless of what you think of Katz personally, he took a huge risk on downtown over 20 years ago when no one else was willing to (a 12 million dollar risk, I might add). The ball park is the reason 1000s of people come downtown for 60 nights a year, and is one of the great summer family activities.

And let's not get carried away here. Prime spot for redevelopment? The site of the ballpark is literally surrounded by surface parking lots. Let's wait until a few of those reach their supposed higher and best use before we start promoting the re-use of this community gem. Kind of reminds me of the Skinner's debate: Take a risk and support the downtown for decades, only to get kicked out the second things turn around and something cooler comes up!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:22 AM

The Bombers screwed Manitoba out of $200+ million for a sub-par facility built for a 3rd-rate minor-league football club that hasn't done much of anything right (on or OFF the field) since basically the 1980's in the south end of Winnipeg that's used maybe 15-20 times a year and few of us will ever set foot in. And few people raise a fuss about it. (even though everyone should be)

The Goldeyes are one of the most successful independent baseball clubs in North America that play out of a fantastic ballpark (that still holds up quite well 20 years later) in a great location and great prices (tix start at $11.00/game). None of you knew what Katz was paying before (or if you did, you didn't care), but now that this new development w/ the lease renewal is in the papers, some of you people are screaming "He should pay more!! Arrrgh! Grr! Katz is a crook! I hate him!"

*facepalm*

I hate Winnipegger's sometimes. Soooo ignorant....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan