HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 9:48 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
KFT - One aspect about Lubbock that is different from most other mid-size Texas cities is that it is not on major interstate route. Amarillo (I-40), Midland/Odessa, Abilene (all I-20), Waco (I-35), Beaumont (I-10) -- Lubbock has I-27 which basically just connects it to Amarillo. I may be over analyzing this, but I really think this fact contributes to the sort of isolated, provincial (sorry) feel to Lubbock. Lubbock is bigger and has a major university which Amarillo does not (West Texas State is relatively small and about 15 miles south in Canyon), yet somehow Amarillo has always seemed more "interesting" (at least to me).
That's true about the interstate thing. It's odd looking at a map of the panhandle. You have Amarillo with I-40, (Route 66) headed through it, then 130 miles to the south is Lubbock connected with the one lonely interstate. The only other such mid-sized city in Texas with that type of situation is Corpus Christi, connected to San Antonio by I-37. Of course they're a port city, which doesn't exactly leave them secluded. So Lubbock is at a bit of a disadvantage there.

I do remember being impressed by Amarillo, though. They have a good sized airport, (as seen from the highway). It looked big for a city that size. I saw it at night and the runway lights looked sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_mclark
Kevin you are a godsend and this is for the Abilene comments. the old theater is called the Paramount Theater. I think your right about Abilene being or is one of the few cities in Texas were the second tallest building(and yes it towers at a mind-boggling 200ft ) is a residents tower. It has had many names like the Abileneian or the Windsor hotel but it is called the Wooten hotel for now.
There are others, but I think for Abilene's size it's pretty impressive. Waco is the other surprise with at least a few residential buildings.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:06 PM
A Texan in Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
I have. The Southwest Freeway is said to be the busiest highway in America and for sure the busiest in Texas, but at it's widest it's only 12 lanes +1 HOV lane. From what I have seen, the Katy Freeway expansion will take it up to 12 lanes. Big for sure, but there is bigger to be found outside the state.

As much as I hate highways and as much as I love Austin, it pains me to say that there are times when driving through Austin that I wish I-35 was 16 lanes wide. I hate being parked on 35 in Round Rock.
i just heard on moder marvels on the history channel the George Washington Bridge is a 14 lane bridge so once again Texas isn't the only state with huge highway systems.

Man i hate those Mexican jails - Storybook by Roger Creager

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's true about the interstate thing. It's odd looking at a map of the panhandle. You have Amarillo with I-40, (Route 66) headed through it, then 130 miles to the south is Lubbock connected with the one lonely interstate. The only other such mid-sized city in Texas with that type of situation is Corpus Christi, connected to San Antonio by I-37. Of course they're a port city, which doesn't exactly leave them secluded. So Lubbock is at a bit of a disadvantage there.
Funnily when I drove through Texas on i-40 I remember looking at the map and having to do a double take on how i-27 just terminates at Lubbock. I thought it was against federal regulations! Interstates never just end like that in a landlocked area. To be fair, I think it did create a little loop so you can just keep moving, only you'd be backtracking.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:37 AM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I get the feeling that Lubbock, as viewed by other Texans, is the Toledo Ohio of the Texas republic?

Nevertheless, interesting photos. Please post the Tech pics!
Texas has its Lubbock just as Pennsylvania has its Lancaster, Washington has its Spokane and California has its Bakersfield, and so on and so forth.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:02 PM

Lubbock is OK. The surrounding countryside is kind of dull, but the city itself is not bad.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:22 PM

Isn't Lubbock supposedly the reddest, most conservative part of Texas?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:32 PM

I didn't expect to find a thread about lubbock on here. Lubbock is in a state of change. Someone pointed out the empty space west of downtown and east of texas tech, that's called redevelopment, if it isn't obvious. It's part of a huge overall plan to transform the downtown and near downtown areas into a beautiful city.

The area they are redeveloping was very ugly mostly because there was no planning and the houses were old.

Here are pictures around my apartment building. There are condos and other apartments and a few nice houses built around this area so far.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Isn't Lubbock supposedly the reddest, most conservative part of Texas?
and?

I think it's very religous, but so what?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:57 PM

My overall impression of lubbock is that it is a farm town. It is very simple and boring and a lot of the bad types of city development in texas are present and there is little of the good types of development, except for the new redevelopment projects. The main pass time here seems to be church, so other types of entertainment seem like afterthoughts. "Thou shalt not steal" right, but my bike was stollen the first week I was here. Just because it is religious doesn't mean everyone is, nor does it mean you can leave your doors unlocked, like I could in the last place I lived in texas. Lubbock is "dry county", which means you can't buy alcohol in the grocery store, but you can in restaurants. There aren't very many bums. I just drive 15 miles south to get my booz. Sometimes at night you can almost smell the cattle ranches nearby. You can ride your bike from one side to another in about 2 or 3 hours though there aren't many cars on the minor roads which makes biking easy.

Now for the positives. It's right in the center of the green energy capital of the nation, texas. Texas has 3200 MW(MegaWatt) of wind power producing electricity as we speak, mostly around lubbock area. That's like 3 nuclear power plants but in pure clean wind. What's NY state have? 390 MW and California? 2376 MW. Actually you know what's powering my computer right now? wind! While all the progressives around the country and in the large cities in texas are using mostly nuclear and coal.

here's the link for information about wind energy
http://www.awea.org/projects/
They havn't updated their info since this summer

Also take note of the fact that texas has 1200 MW of wind energy under construction right now, which is also a lot more then any other state. Also it doesn't take as long to build a wind turbine as it does a skyscraper so texas should have around 5000 MW by early 2008

They have a detailed plan for redevelopment:
http://downtown.ci.lubbock.tx.us/pdf/DRAP04032007.pdf
Look in there at some of the pictures, they are modeling it off of other cities, but they plan to make them better.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:04 PM
no its not...

Kind of interesting.....

...but I won't go any further than saying that...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city dweller View Post
Haha.

Wait...no...yes, this is without a doubt the most savage thing I have ever seen - I blame all the ills of the world on it.
That's really what you call a 'streetwall'

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:44 PM

I attend Texas Tech and have been here in Lubbock since 2004... I am ready to get out!!!

the negative:
very flat
windy 24/7
dust storms
roads are a nightmare
city floods with a few inches of rain
mall sucks
crime is horrible

the good:
TEXAS TECH
very clean
people are friendly
good growth
downtown and overton areas are being polished and rebuilt
nice neighborhoods.. i live in tech terrace!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
That's really what you call a 'streetwall'
LMAO! Lubbock has a streetwall? I've been in that area a lot of times and I never saw any streetwalls, just a few buildings that need demo.

Lubbock needs some real skyscrapers.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 3:11 AM
'Can Draw It'

thanks for the pics......my dad and his wife live there, and i visit sometimes. i tell you, places like lubbock make me awfully glad i can fly home to lush, diverse, and not so conservative portland. not that lubbock is all that bad, and buddy holly and the dixie chicks are from there (we're all from somewhere), and the university is very nice...as well as the outlying areas.

and, you don't find friendlier people than in texas.....you just don't.

but downtown....ouch.....it's like a ghost town, even at noon during the work week. living in portland and thriving in it's busy downtown full of life and people and scenery, i was really sad for downtown lubbock on my last visit in spring 2006. in december of 1977 while in college i was a competitive swimmer at new mexico state university and we went to lubbock to swim against texas tech. while battling gusty cold winds trying to find some late-night grub, my roomate and i came up with a name for the Lubbock that i still tease my dad about.

Buttock.

nuff said : )

Last edited by mudshark; Nov 3, 2007 at 3:22 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:04 AM
Posh

Well . . . could be worse, I s'pose.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:12 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I attend Texas Tech and have been here in Lubbock since 2004... I am ready to get out!!!

the negative:
very flat
windy 24/7
dust storms
roads are a nightmare
city floods with a few inches of rain
mall sucks
crime is horrible

the good:
TEXAS TECH
very clean
people are friendly
good growth
downtown and overton areas are being polished and rebuilt
nice neighborhoods.. i live in tech terrace!

it's there. i plan on visiting a friend stationed in san angelo and going to el paso before i go back to lubbock.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:51 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Park View Post
Texas has its Lubbock just as Pennsylvania has its Lancaster, Washington has its Spokane and California has its Bakersfield, and so on and so forth.
The township(s) or the city?
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:42 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Enjoyed seeing pics of a city I don't remember seeing on SSP.
A very good post indeed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 12:05 AM
It's Daniel

That is one ugly place. The skyline lacks any kind of character. The city looks almost like an abandoned ghost town. I really don't like the brick roads. What's up with that??

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 2:31 AM

Paving the roads with brick was very common in Texas in the early 20th Century. There are quite a few cities with brick streets still in place in the state. Here in Fort Worth, the streets that are still paved in brick are considered the most charming and have the most historical appeal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos