HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:53 PM

I know. I wasn't saying lets build a subway.. But it's similar and just an example of what could be done. Take traffic off the street.

Just like Times Square in New York. They've removed part of the traffic from the square. Eventually I could see all of it being removed there as well.

Of course these are top notch world Cities with some money to play with. Traffic is OV is a bottle neck and takes away from the street scene.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I know. I wasn't saying lets build a subway.. But it's similar and just an example of what could be done. Take traffic off the street.

Just like Times Square in New York. They've removed part of the traffic from the square. Eventually I could see all of it being removed there as well.

Of course these are top notch world Cities with some money to play with. Traffic is OV is a bottle neck and takes away from the street scene.
If Osborne suddenly became, say, two lanes -- one north, one south, with wide cycling lanes (plus perhaps a bit of on street parking and some cutouts for bus stops)... where would the traffic flow to?

I'm guessing that coming from the south, it would push mostly over onto the Donald bridge, with some onto Donald, and a tiny bit onto Sherbrooke?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:45 PM

If the city could add a lane to the SB Donald bridge, expropriate Domo, Midtown, etc. to add a third lane to the SB part of Donald up til Century 21 where it's 4 lanes, you could honestly probably reduce capacity on Osborne with out a ridiculous amount of issues, as Maryland is already 3 lanes all the way to Academy. Problem right now is that the 2 lanes on SB Donald are already bad at rush hour, so forcing more traffic over now would be brutal.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:22 PM

Lets also remember that quick easy access into downtown for single person vehicles during peak hours should not be expected. Safe, liveable neighbourhoods should be expected. We have a brand new rapid transit line stretching south - theoretically that should be enough to alleviate the pressure of narrowing osborne. There are many other ways we could increase capacity other than widening roads - seperated, priority snow-cleared bike lanes, encouraging car-pooling, walking bridge from fort rouge to mcfadyn park.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 6:46 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
If Osborne suddenly became, say, two lanes -- one north, one south, with wide cycling lanes (plus perhaps a bit of on street parking and some cutouts for bus stops)... where would the traffic flow to?
It would flow back into the 3rd and 4th lanes - two north, two south - that would quickly be opened up after those who closed them were sacked.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
It would flow back into the 3rd and 4th lanes - two north, two south - that would quickly be opened up after those who closed them were sacked.
Definitely. I live there. Please do not advocate for this traffic disaster. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:24 PM

heard a rumor tim hortons is looking at the second cup space in the village. no idea if it's true (they already have a counter at safeway, but it's pretty small...)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:35 PM

^Friend involved in commercial real estate told me Tims and Freshii are both currently "fighting" for the space.

Also heard from a friend that works at Sobeys that apparently they're considering converting the OV Safeway to a Sobeys. Seems like maybe in areas where they only have 1 of the stores, they'd prefer it to be a Sobeys.. not sure if Cory has heard anything. I personally think it would be smart as Sobeys has a way better deli and dairy section, and Safeway has a lot of "expensive" connotations, even since the merger. I have quite a few friends in OV who only go to Safeway in a pinch and still prefer to go to Sobeys or Superstore further away.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Freshii
how many flavourless quinoa wraps can one city sustain? there are already a dozen freshiis here (including one about a km away on corydon). this chain is going to be the next quiznos-style franchise overexpansion flamewreck.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Freshii
Never been.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Never been.
I'll try it when the Cityplace location opens up, but based on everything I've heard about it I'm not expecting all that much.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
^Friend involved in commercial real estate told me Tims and Freshii are both currently "fighting" for the space.
Man, Tim Horton's food and coffee tastes like soil excavated from an old toxic dump site, but as a Village resident, I think the amount of steady foot traffic they'd bring to this location would be great for the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 9:40 PM

^ That would be a bit of a sad statement about the Village though... from McNally's to Second Cup to Tim Hortons over the span of barely two decades. Next thing you know Money Mart will be looking for another location to match the one at Confusion Corner.

Speaking of Osborne Village, is the Gas Station Theatre project dead?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:39 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Man, Tim Horton's food and coffee tastes like soil excavated from an old toxic dump site, but as a Village resident, I think the amount of steady foot traffic they'd bring to this location would be great for the neighbourhood.
Best description I've heard is an old dishcloth that was left on the radiator overnight.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That would be a bit of a sad statement about the Village though... from McNally's to Second Cup to Tim Hortons over the span of barely two decades. Next thing you know Money Mart will be looking for another location to match the one at Confusion Corner.

Speaking of Osborne Village, is the Gas Station Theatre project dead?
I agree it's quite the change, though I would add that chain stores are not new to Osborne. The biggest draw in the neighbourhood is a large Safeway, then there's Shoppers Drug Mart, Starbucks, A&W etc., and does anyone remember when KFC was located at Osborne and Gertrude?

As mentioned on this thread before, Osborne hasn't been the Most Interesting Street in Winnipeg for quite some time, so some degree of blandness is expected. At least with Tim Horton's (rather than many other omnipresent chain), they are open all the time and draw a bunch of pedestrian traffic.

Last I heard, some months ago now, the Gas Station project isn't entirely dead, but obviously not moving very fast. Who knows.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:17 PM

The only thing going for Freshii is that it's nice to have a healthy alternative to fast food burgers and Subway... but it's so bland. It'd be nice if some of the veggies were cooked or seasoned, not just raw. And in an effort to keep "bad" nutrition numbers down, there's never enough dressing/sauce/flavour in their dishes, and I'm someone who likes very little sauce.

The last public update about Gas Station was that without the government money they would have to cut out the residential. So to me, with no residential, I don't see this going forward – how do they expect to pay off the building when the only money making aspects are their own (already existing, not high profit) theatre, and Subway's lease.

I also think I'd rather it stay the same than go forward with no residential as I do think in 5 years as the village continues to intensify it will naturally increase values and development prospect on Osborne. I just think the strip is in a transition period now as values are rising, forcing out some smaller/older businesses. I have confidence in a couple years it will rebound – but I think it's crucial they find a new BIZ head.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:00 PM

^ I know I've said this before, but I find it somewhat incredible that for all the development that has taken place in OV over the last decade or so, next to none of it has been on Osborne itself. Money continues to stream into the area while the strip itself does nothing but decline.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:54 AM

I think the strip is at a low point right now and will rebound in the next 2-4 years – the neighbourhood will change, then the commercial district will naturally follow.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:03 PM

Anyone heard anything about the Osborne Village Inn? It looks like nothing has happened there in months.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:49 PM

Things ebb and flow.

Traffic alone isn't "killing" anything. Vacancies hurt the area. Yet still, it's not easy to find parking aka people ARE THERE.

The problem is partially the generation that gathers there. There used to be a greater appreciation for the unique, or even high quality, whether it's ethnic to high end food or eclectic shops that actually generate traffic and revenue.

The upstairs, which is shit and the Toad, which is awesome are drawing most of the crowds and that used to be dispersed among a variety of shops and destinations. The current demographic that flocks to osborne is a little basic, that's all.

I still enjoy osborne very much, whether the whisky bar at the toad or the Cornerstone. It's been better but we can pull our fingers back from the big red button.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan