HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:50 PM

62M is still not finished, it's horrific over there. They've done none of the landscaping or tree planting as was planned, the centre and around the site are just gravel and mud pits, their dumpster is in the middle of the lane with garbage everywhere.

That development is a joke, and the city should be taking them to task to finish and clean up the site as planned. Can't imagine having to live there and see that every day.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:10 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Does anyone live there? I heard it was all Air B&Bs.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Does anyone live there? I heard it was all Air B&Bs.
My daughter has a friend that's lived there likely around years now. I believe he rents.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:44 PM

A friend that lived there for a bit said she figured it was about half Airbnb/short term rentals. The build quality is awful, especially noticeable in bathrooms and kitchens. Really poor design of the cupboards in kitchen, didn't put any thought into making the most of small spaces. It almost seems like they designed the building form first, and forgot about planning for all the HVAC and electrical, because they're in really bad spots.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It almost seems like they designed the building form first, and forgot about planning for all the HVAC and electrical, because they're in really bad spots.
Now you're thinking like a *~*vIsIoNaRy*~*

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
WAREHOUSE 1885
Address:104/108 Princess Street, Winnipeg, MB Winnipeg, MB
Location:https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-97.1421145
Developer: https://legatumdevelopment.co/
Architect: http://www.5468796.ca/

Redevelop two existing landmark properties on the corner of Princess/Bannatyne into 39 desirable residential rental units plus 5,500 sq/f of commercial space on the main floor.
The renovation will construct a 3 Storey addition on top of 108 Princess to accommodate more rental units plus access to rooftop patio on 104 Princess.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:39 PM

Just noticed the renders don't show them replacing the moulding above the main floor windows.... I really hope they actually do it.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:17 AM

There are some VERY extensive renovations going on in 55 Arthur right now.

The area to the left of the entrance to 55 Arthur, along the tunnel (has the old Whitla Lane sign) has had the entire floor dug out and foundation rebuilt from the inside. They're building a wheelchair ramp inside that space that appears like it's being built to service some new (maybe prospective) tenants for the main portion of the building. There are also a ton of permits and construction notices up in the widow of 55 Arthur proper, which appear to be separate from the foundation work – they're really high off the ground and hard to read.

Whatever is going on, it certainly appears like this extensive work is happening in prep of someone taking over the main floor.

---

Side note it's incredible to me that they're already starting to plant flowers, yet there's full stand dunes on the sidewalks all over downtown and the Exchange still. Does the city not have proper equipment? It's like they only do the main path of the sidewalk with a machine and ignore everything else, it's disgusting around benches, trees, signs, bus stops. The beautiful new John Hirsch Place is like a full on desert.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
There are some VERY extensive renovations going on in 55 Arthur right now.

The area to the left of the entrance to 55 Arthur, along the tunnel (has the old Whitla Lane sign) has had the entire floor dug out and foundation rebuilt from the inside. They're building a wheelchair ramp inside that space that appears like it's being built to service some new (maybe prospective) tenants for the main portion of the building. There are also a ton of permits and construction notices up in the widow of 55 Arthur proper, which appear to be separate from the foundation work – they're really high off the ground and hard to read.

Whatever is going on, it certainly appears like this extensive work is happening in prep of someone taking over the main floor.

---

Side note it's incredible to me that they're already starting to plant flowers, yet there's full stand dunes on the sidewalks all over downtown and the Exchange still. Does the city not have proper equipment? It's like they only do the main path of the sidewalk with a machine and ignore everything else, it's disgusting around benches, trees, signs, bus stops. The beautiful new John Hirsch Place is like a full on desert.
Launch Exchange - Coming Early 2019

55 Arthur Street

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...491777081.html

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 29, 2019 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:29 AM

alamasonryandcontractinginc
Here we go! Demolition of the Princess St facade has begun!
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByB6_25A1fu/

Instagram

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:

call / email 311, if enough people do, they will send out a cleaning crew

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:16 PM

It's insane that that's even needed in our city's signature district.

I really hope this review of construction that Allard is chairing includes "maintenance" and other work tendered to construction companies. I will be emailing and messaging him, I suggest others do the same.

It's nice that they have just about the only competent councillor on this task.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

alamasonryandcontractinginc
Here we go! Demolition of the Princess St facade has begun!
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByB6_25A1fu/
wow! they made short-order of that façade! project to watch for the summer for sure

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
It's insane that that's even needed in our city's signature district.

I really hope this review of construction that Allard is chairing includes "maintenance" and other work tendered to construction companies. I will be emailing and messaging him, I suggest others do the same.

It's nice that they have just about the only competent councillor on this task.
I'm partial to the Exchange District, but as National Historic Site you'd think maintenance such as snow removal in winter, sidewalk cleaning in the spring and general overall maintenance would be a top priority.

I think of the tens of thousands of 'visitors' that come to the area for theatre and the summer festivals and they are met with subpar cleared sidewalks in the winter and leftover sand dune grit in the spring.

Annoys me...

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
And the City announced they've completed spring clean-up. So ya, those dunes aren't going anywhere unless someone complains.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And the City announced they've completed spring clean-up. So ya, those dunes aren't going anywhere unless someone complains.
Let's all call 311 with our suggestions and complaints... surely they will lead to action

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:59 PM
the first stamp is free

I realize that we all pay taxes towards this sort of work - but it would be nice if the respective business/building owners etc. took some effort to doing a bit of this work on their own accord.

Sweep up sand, pick up garbage, etc.

Like when I walk daily up Portage avenue, I am sure McDs, Tims, Harveys, etc. etc. could spare one employee about an hour or two a week to go around outside and pick up all the litter that their customers toss on the ground.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 8:05 PM

^ Very good point. You do tend to notice that in other places.... shopkeepers can be fastidious about sweeping the front of their shops.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 8:23 PM

At one time McDonalds use to have a store associate clean up around the store locations. I guess with cutting staff they can't spare anybody to do that now.

As for downtown and exchange, don't those biz groups have the responsibility to run the clean up now? I know I have seen the downtown biz running their sidewalk sweepers late at night when I get off work.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 8:36 PM

I've actually had decent experiences with 311 lately. They respond and request more info/contact info to pass on to engineering or public works or whomever.

Call the city councilor directly. Harass (figuratively not literally) them if it's an issue you are adamant about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan