HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:26 PM

Saskatoon | The River Terraces | 12 floors | Proposed

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 6:45 PM

The NIMBY's on this project don't realize their luck that someone wants to create a great buffer on that corner to protect and enhance their hood from the one thing they're worried about: Traffic.

That corner is loud and obnoxious, really, almost unwalkable. But you trudge on in hope if you're passing by, knowing you have a destination.

However, living a bit above that corner could actually be cool, especially when rush hour dies down, the sun sets and the lights of the city shine. When Saskatoon shines. You're so close to everything that defines Saskatoon.

Back to the nimbys, attacking parking concerns first, like every good Saskatonian does, and because there are 232 parking stalls, 232 extra cars will be endlessly circling and passing through their neighbourhood, at all hours, down every ally and lane, over their grass and killing their cats.

Not only that, but they'll have all their friends parking all through their quiet streets at all hours, and there'll be over a 150 more cars everywhere all the time. This is chaos! Nimbys, they're funny...until they start shooting.

But in reality, far fewer cars will access only the main arteries at various times and immediately disappear as they make their ways to the parking lots on the outskirts of the U of S campus, park, and then walk half a mile backwards through the cold on foot! Ha ha. End of rant.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 1:42 PM

I do think a point that has been missed is the "walkability" that this location offers. I can totally envision that the potential residents of that building will be attracted to it because of its proximity to University, Hospitals (3 of them...Uni, Children's and City) and Downtown. So, although most if not all of the owners will have cars, I honestly believe that MANY in this building will choose active transportation to get to and from their destinations. There is a great bike storage/secure area planned in this project, too.

We moved to the Varsity View area from the burbs for the main purpose of living in a walkable neighborhood. We have realized that over the last year and half with our car staying parked in our garage the majority of the time. I believe this could be the same for this new building, reducing the traffic concerns of many.

This will be an interesting project to follow,as so many of Saskatoon's major infill projects are getting quite a significant push back from local residents. Meridian has already stated they will never do another project that requires re-zoning based on their experiences with projects on Broadway (LUXE and Escala). I hope that is not the precedent that will be established after this project! And with Urban Capital's project on the board for a public meeting, it is important for those that support these kind of projects to get out and let your voices be heard!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 8:03 PM

prairieguy, thanks for this. I bought a brand new car in 2010 and it's got 32,000km on it. You can live where you don't have to drive everywhere, and you should be able to enjoy a walk and even shop right near your house. That's the point. That's a livable city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:17 PM

I am glad this was approved. It will be great to be rid of that empty lot at what is one of the city's most prominent locations. I can't imagine any residents driving to work downtown or the U.

I am going to say it though.... like the Shangri-La before it, I am very, very disappointed with the design. It shows no originality. It is extremely bland and I do not think it will age well. It reminds me of a nondescript airport hotel in some industrial wasteland. It could have been sooo much better. North Prairie needs to pick up their game.

Just my humble opinion... flame on

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
I am glad this was approved. It will be great to be rid of that empty lot at what is one of the city's most prominent locations. I can't imagine any residents driving to work downtown or the U.

I am going to say it though.... like the Shangri-La before it, I am very, very disappointed with the design. It shows no originality. It is extremely bland and I do not think it will age well. It reminds me of a nondescript airport hotel in some industrial wasteland. It could have been sooo much better. North Prairie needs to pick up their game.

Just my humble opinion... flame on
I second that. With a project at the forks of two main roads and at the head of a major bridge in the city, it could (should?) have been a better design.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:35 PM

Preach ^^. I've been to Shangri La and it is so shoddy.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 4:46 PM

And remember, these are only renders. We don't know how much value engineering has been applied to this project yet.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:25 PM

All a matter of personal opinion. I think it looks not too bad at all - Definitely better looking than the Victory Majors / Urban Capital condo proposed for Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
All a matter of personal opinion. I think it looks not too bad at all - Definitely better looking than the Victory Majors / Urban Capital condo proposed for Broadway.
It's definitely a matter of personal opinion then because I love the UC Broadway design more than UC's River Landing condos ha. After seeing what NPD did with Shangri-La I personally wouldn't put money down on these condos - shoddy facade, tiny balconies similar to these ones, one elevator! I'm just excited that any sort of progress is happening on this lot - but a part of me remembers that they were planning for 300 condos downtown in Saskatchewan's tallest skyscraper only 5 years ago... They've had some serious challenges in the past and always say it's "market demand" that slows them down... This company has and is (with WTC) having trouble with getting large projects off the ground.

Lest we forget developers love to disappoint https://globalnews.ca/news/1730827/n...atoon-skyline/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Lest we forget developers love to disappoint https://globalnews.ca/news/1730827/n...atoon-skyline/
What's entertaining is that, within the Global story above, is a link to another old story "No sign of construction at Parcel Y in River Landing", lamenting the lack of progress at River Landing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/834753/no...river-landing/

Things have defintely progressed there in the last 5 years.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
What's entertaining is that, within the Global story above, is a link to another old story "No sign of construction at Parcel Y in River Landing", lamenting the lack of progress at River Landing.

https://globalnews.ca/news/834753/no...river-landing/

Things have defintely progressed there in the last 5 years.
Exactly, one company couldn’t handle the risk and Victory Majors had to partner with Greystone to make it happen. None of our developers have enough financial leverage to do these things on their own - $25Million+ is such a large risk for our small developers in Saskatoon. NPD is trying to spread themselves out too thin without enough experience for projects like these IMO.

I just don’t see us reaching our infill targets with companies like NPD announcing projects and doing large press announcements almost as a way to fend off outside developers. I would love to see more developers like Urban Capital come to town, and bring larger investors like Greystone with them.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:26 PM

I believe there is a niche or room for our local developers, but you may be right...for really large scale projects, it may take BIG national developers to lead the way.

At least we have caught the attention of Urban Capital and that may encourage other national/international companies to take a look at Saskatoon.

Speaking of which....what's up with BAYDO project on Broadway...pretty quiet on that front.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I believe there is a niche or room for our local developers, but you may be right...for really large scale projects, it may take BIG national developers to lead the way.

At least we have caught the attention of Urban Capital and that may encourage other national/international companies to take a look at Saskatoon.

Speaking of which....what's up with BAYDO project on Broadway...pretty quiet on that front.
Theres just the yellow fence surrounding the lot, with 2 coming soon decals clipped to the fence. Thats all i know

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:34 PM

yes...it has been like that for most of the winter. It IS exciting to see work progressing on old Lydia site and the Nino's Pizza location. Will be great for Broadway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan