HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think the point is that there will be steep infrastructure costs associated with new development regardless of where the development goes. It's not like cramming it all in the south end of the city lets you dodge a bill for a new road...the savings from a cancelled CPT extension would end up going into building up the capacity of roads in the south end.

It's the new development itself that costs money, not its location.
Exactly. There aren't really that many parts of the city that could accommodate significant growth without the need to expand existing roadway, transit, and utility infrastructure. While many hammer the point that infill is more sustainable in this regard, the fact is that expansion of existing infrastructure needs to take place whether growth occurs in Osborne Village or Waverley West.

Our existing roads and buses are jam-packed, often well beyond rush hour too, and many of our water and sewage treatment plants are undergoing expansion and upgrades as we speak. At the end of the day, Winnipeg is experiencing population growth it hasn't seen in a long time. We're on track to add nearly 100,000 people this decade. Compare that to us adding roughly 35,000 people in the 2000s and 14,000 people in the 1990s, it's easy to see why our infrastructure woes - and trouble paying for it - have accelerated significantly over the past few years.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:53 PM

There cannot be a worse stretch of road in Winnipeg than the service road on the north side of Grant Park Mall that parallels EB Grant. That thing has been in awful shape for years, but for a road that is 1.5 lanes wide, you can't even pick a route across it that won't jar your fillings loose. Huge heaves, cracks, potholes.

Is that one the responsibility of the mall operator (H&R Reit) or the City?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:36 PM

The City I presume. Grant is odd. Service roads on both sides. Yet the main roadway is 50 kmh. And the whole thing is in need of a blow up.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 6:07 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
There cannot be a worse stretch of road in Winnipeg than the service road on the north side of Grant Park Mall that parallels EB Grant. That thing has been in awful shape for years, but for a road that is 1.5 lanes wide, you can't even pick a route across it that won't jar your fillings loose. Huge heaves, cracks, potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The City I presume. Grant is odd. Service roads on both sides. Yet the main roadway is 50 kmh. And the whole thing is in need of a blow up.
My Dad's father (b. 1898 d. 1990) got hit by a car in 1979 crossing the south side service road there. He was never the same after that. Always had leg issues and forced to use a cane.

In the 50+ years that I have been around, never seen it repaved, except maybe once.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:00 PM

That service road will be closed for a few months to accommodate a new storm sewer installation. If I remember the contractor needs to make temporary accesses from the parking lot to Grant. It might be interesting.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think the point is that there will be steep infrastructure costs associated with new development regardless of where the development goes.
That is basically the point I was trying to make. The other takeaway though is the area of undeveloped land within existing city boundaries the CPT west extension would help service simply is no longer available in southwest Winnipeg. From Lag to Kenaston and even a bit beyond development is pushing up to the Perimeter already in most places.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 9:19 PM

The entirety of land within City boundaries in the south end is spoken for, planned out, and currently under development up to the south perimeter. Sage Creek, Bonavista, and then the rest of Waverley West. There's some bits and pieces along the Seine that are still not planned. But relatively minor.

The north side has land that is still in planning, etc. But the areas aren't actually that large when compared to the are south of Bishop. Still lots of land though.

The other large swath of land is in charleswood and will be NIMBY'd to death.

Then there's some land left in Transcona. The land near Gunn Rd is already planned. The 2 square miles of South Transcona being the last pieces that I don't think have been planned at all. Then there's the development by the mint, south of Fermor.

My summary of large plots of land left for development within city boundaries and the perimeter.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 9:23 PM
There is always a way

^ I could see developers pushing for some land south of the perimeter between St. Anne's and St. Mary's to be opened up. I think the south perimeter upgrade works would have to be completed if that were the case but I could see that happening sooner than later
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 9:41 PM

For interests sake, all the info is available here.
https://winnipeg.ca/ppd/planning/LAP_Adopted.stm#10

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:13 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

If we're talking about "Precinct G" (Aurora at North Point), the engineering study and CoW report(s) have a lot of text, but there were no diagrams. This is near McPhillips, near CPT, but I have to imagine this in my head because no graphical representation was published.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Grant is perfectly set up to have proper separated bike lanes/AT path all the way from Cambridge to Pembina. There's so much space and it would require pretty much no reworking of streets.

There's no reason for the access roads to be that wide. You could expand the sidewalks into AT paths. And/or, put raised cycle tracks long the inside/median curb of the access road (no access points on that side). Would be a bit tight on the one block with the substation, but once you're past that it's huge fields to Pembina. So then you connect the Pembina paths to the east with Cambridge to the west (which feeds locally into River Heights)... all through a high-traffic area. Would be fantastic to have as the Grant Park Recreation Complex gets developed. Almost a no-brainer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post

I didn't know this until today, but yes this is City property (ie, part of the Grant Ave. ROW). Grant between Harrow and Oxford is 149' wide -- wider than Portage, Pembina, Main, etc. (132')

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
TThe north side has land that is still in planning, etc. But the areas aren't actually that large when compared to the are south of Bishop. Still lots of land though.
North of Lelia, west of McPhillips, east of Pipeline. That is one massive slice of land. It has some rural style housing in it and some commercial along McPhillips but it has massive potential if the land assembly can by completed.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
If we're talking about "Precinct G" (Aurora at North Point), the engineering study and CoW report(s) have a lot of text, but there were no diagrams. This is near McPhillips, near CPT, but I have to imagine this in my head because no graphical representation was published.
I didn't necessarily mean to link precinct G. I guess I had that tab opened. I was just giving the link to the page with all the plans.

There are maps and such for that area. Just look under the background studies area. It has road networks and such laid out.

Also if you go to the menu on the left hand side, there more areas with other plans.

https://winnipeg.ca/ppd/planning/LAP_Council_Policy.stm

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
North of Lelia, west of McPhillips, east of Pipeline. That is one massive slice of land. It has some rural style housing in it and some commercial along McPhillips but it has massive potential if the land assembly can by completed.
You're right it's a large area. When looking south of bishop though, it's not as large. Doesn't matter though.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:37 PM
surely you agree with me

I walk by Main and Bannatyne 4-6 times every day. I have never seen a single car in the new loading zone on Main Street and I have never not seen at least one car in the more useful loading zone right beside the building on Bannatyne….it actually serves people coming from all directions, not just the north...and crossing the street doesn't seem to be such a big deal after all.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:38 PM

I don't see an image

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I walk by Main and Bannatyne 4-6 times every day. I have never seen a single car in the new loading zone on Main Street and I have never not seen at least one car in the more useful loading zone right beside the building on Bannatyne….it actually serves people coming from all directions, not just the north...and crossing the street doesn't seem to be such a big deal after all.

That loading zone is so stupid it hurts. The City should admit that it's ridiculous, violates the principles of good urban design, and replace the sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:35 PM

I'm not down there nearly as much as TV or others, but I have yet to see a single vehicle parked there. Weekday, evening, or weekend. It's going to be something to see how many tire tracks are in this area after a snowfall... Last Thursday when the snow started to come down, I saw more footprints than tire tracks in that loading zone.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

I park in that Bannatyne loading zone at least once a week waiting to pick up someone getting off work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan